“One of the best hotels...”

The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago
Ranked #50 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“One of the best hotels...”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The check in is on the 11th floor with wonderfully helpful staff. I was upgraded to a Michigan avenue suite, which was a pleasant surprise. The room had two full bathrooms, a sitting area with couches and large windows. The king bedroom was nice, the bed always comfortable. The bathroom off the bedroom wasn't as modern as others in the hotel but it was fine, great shower.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ThomasSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear David D,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share you feedback.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed your upgrade to one of our spacious Michigan Avenue Suites!

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton the next time you are in the Windy City!

Tom Segesta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Close to everything on the Magnificent Mile. I had the King Room with a view of Lake Michigan. HUGE.

The only issue I had with the hotel were minor things like no staff to greet you when you arrive in a taxi or to open the hotels with all your luggage.

Hotel staff were great regarding my Wifi situation. I thought that this was complimentary (and in reality it should be given how you pay per night) and surprised me with the bill at the end. Thankfully they waved it.

Room Tip: Room with a view of Lake Michigan. Can't lose!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
ThomasSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear nicko_316,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed one of our spacious lake view room!

I am disappointed to hear that there wasn't staff at the front entrance to greet you, however, we are currently undergoing construction to our lower lobby which may have caused that issue for you.

Regarding your Wifi situation, we do offer complimentary basic wifi and charge for premium Wifi. This is a common confusion for our guests and we are working on a way to better clarify that you have the option between the two! I am glad that we were able to take care of that from your bill.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton the next time you are in the Windy City!

London
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

There's a long story as to why this is the only Four Seasons worldwide to be branded 'Ritz-Carlton', but no matter: this is a Four Seasons in all but name. Our advice would be to take advantage of the anomoly and enjoy the considerable savings to be had when compared to staying at the sister hotel that's (literally) around the corner.

We had a lovely, lake-view room (highly recommended) on the 30th floor with stunning views. The room itself was well-proportioned and very comfortable - certainly not the biggest hotel room we have encountered, but more than sufficient for our three night stay.

Throughout the hotel there was a friendly, welcoming atmosphere. We made good use of the professional concierge service, enjoyed a couple of swims in the indoor pool (dated but functional) and had a great meal outside in the 'Dec' restaurant ... complete with memorable, rooftop views across the city.

We don't know Chicago well, but in terms of location we seemed to be within a walk or short cab ride of most everything of interest. All in all, I would say that this is a winner!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear BenHud,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor! We truly appreciate your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy some of the many amenities that our hotel has to offer as well as our centralized location in the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton the next time you are in the Windy City!

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Ritz-Carlton ("a Four Seasons Hotel" - kinda confusing, including to friends in the hotel industry) is a great hotel in a great location with great staff - mostly. The hotel couldn't be better located - right on the Magnificent Mile at Water Tower Place. Right in the middle of all of the shopping, architecture, hustle and bustle, but right on the edge of the near north neighbourhood if you want to get away from the tourists.

The rooms were large, very clean and had great views. The hotel itself is a little tired and dated compared to other Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton (again, which hotel chain is this?)properties I've been to but still a very elegant and well maintained hotel with great facilities including fitness centre, meeting facilities, restaurant and bar.

The "mostly" all staff being great really relates only to a couple of suprisingly impolite housekeeping staff (out of dozens we encountered), and a bit moreso, a couple of switchboard operators who really had poor attitude & manners and really seemed to not want to be working in that job - odd for someone who has to interact with people all day long.

Overall, I would come back in a heartbeat, but just remember, if you're thinking that this is one of the new & modern R-C or FS properties, it's not. Still a great-great place, and better than other "new / modern / funky properties I've stayed at in Chicago like W.

Room Tip: City view was excellent
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TiredCommuter
ThomasSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear TiredCommuter,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor! We truly appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and grow.

I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and plan on returning to see us again! I am, however, disappointed with your interaction with a few of our staff members. I have shared your comments with our team and we truly appreciate your honesty.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton (it is a part of Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, not a Ritz-Carlton Hotel!) the next time you are in the Windy City!

Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Fantastic room with lake view. Excellent service. On the first day, however, it took three trips to the front desk to get a rollaway bed up in the room. Otherwise, we had a perfect stay and wonderful experience

Room Tip: Higher floors have better lake view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
ThomasSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Bang W,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor!

We truly appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways learn and grow. I am delighted to hear that you had an wonderful stay with us and were able to enjoy the beautiful views of the lake from your room.

Thank you for your honesty regarding the rollaway bed, I have shared your comments with the team and we have definitely taken note of your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Ritz-Carlton the next time you are in the Windy City!

Buffalo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled for four days from Buffalo for a late birthday gift for him and wanted to stay in a nice hotel for an affordable price and the Ritz Carlton definitely exceeded our expectations! We booked the hotel about three weeks before the trip and got a really good deal from a hotel booking website, and the price was great, almost seemed too good to be true for a Ritz Carlton but we decided to take a chance and book it anyways. We had an early flight so we got to the hotel at about 9AM on Friday the 8th and expected to have to come back to get our room (check in I believe is technically at 4pm) but to our surprise they told us there was actually a room available and ready for us, which was a great surprise! Everyone at the front desk as well as the doormen were extremely friendly and welcoming. We got to our room on the 18th floor and our luggage was up to our room literally within ten minutes, and the bellman who brought them up was just as friendly and welcoming as everyone else we had encountered. I wish I remembered his name but he gave us great tips on what to do in the city! The room was beautiful! Huge window where you can sit in the inside ledge and look out, nice TV with lots of channels (including HBO), king size bed, and large bathroom with two sinks and a seperate area (with a door!) for the toilet and shower/tub). A huge plus for us was free wifi!! Also, there was a lot of outlets next to the bed which is big for me because I always use my phone as my alarm and like it close to the bed when I sleep! The bed in the room was probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, my boyfriend and I both said that was the best we've slept in months!! We just got the city view room but you could easily see Navy Pier and Lake Michigan right to our left. The bath products were L'Occitane and they were amazing! Housekeeping was fantastic with keeping us stocked of these items, they smelled great and were great quality! Another thing that is nice about the room is there is a fridge, so if you go out to eat and have left overs you can easily keep them for later! The room felt very secure and safe, as well as super clean! The housekeeping staff here is top notch, more than once my boyfriend or I left a shirt on top of the luggage or bed and when we came back the housekeeping staff even folded the shirts!! Always stocked with water bottles, towels, and anything else we needed. We got a knock on the door every day at about 4pm(?) by housekeeping asking if there was anything else we needed or wanted, super friendly! Hotel is in a great location, connected to the Water Towel Place and steps away from Michigan Ave. We were about an 8 minute walk to the train station (which is how we got from the airport to the hotel) and it was easily walkable with a rolling luggage and also a carry on bag. Taxis near the hotel constantly and doormen who whistle them over for you whenever needed. Check in and check out were both easy and very quick, less than 5 minutes for each! Free coffee/tea in the lobby before 10Am which is also a nice touch!! This was truly in a great location, busy but not overwhelming and super safe! This hotel definitely exceeded all of our expectations and we will definitely be staying here next time we come to Chicago!!!

Room Tip: Obviously the higher you get, the better the view, but I don't think there is any bad room! Eve...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear xprincess366x,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are truly delighted to hear that you and your boyfriend had such an enjoyable experience with our hotel and were able to explore many aspects of our hotel as well as the city!

I am thrilled to hear that you will be coming back to visit us the next time you are in town, we look forward to it!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your stay on TripAdvisor, we truly appreciate it.

Woodbridge, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was our first trip to Chicago, and this hotel is in a great location. Shopping and restaurants are right there at your door step. If you want the bus tour, conveniently, there's a stop right across the street. We were able to walk to Navy Pier, although it is a bit of a hike (approx. 30 min.) The restaurant, lounge and outdoor deck are gorgeous. The hotel staff were all very friendly and professional. Oh, and the bed was probably THE most comfortable bed I've slept in ever!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear jimsereney,

Thank you sharing your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor!

We are delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and were able to enjoy some of the many amenities that our hotel and the city of Chicago have to offer.

I am thrilled that you thought our beds were so comfortable and had a restful stay during your time with us!

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton the next time you are in the Windy City!