“Great Hotel and Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #89 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Great Hotel and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

My wife and family stayed at this hotel over a weekend for a wedding. There was a lot of buzz going on at the hotel, as President Obama apparently stayed at the hotel just the week before while coming back to Chicago to visit.

The lobby is a little small for such a grand hotel, but the decor was modern and inviting. The bar/ restaurant at the lobby was great for lunches. I truly enjoyed the micro brewed Chicago beer sold there.

The rooms at this hotel were quite nice. Very clean, crisp modern design. Beds were dreamy and lush. Our room was on a high floor, looking out over the lake and the park. Simply beautiful Chicago landscape.

We found the staff to be about average and did not encounter any issues or stressful sitiuations.

The hotel is located just a walk away from everything you could possibly want to do in Chicago... shop, eat and sight-see. Right next to Millenium park it was fun to hang out and people watch. Just a 20 minute walk to the Magnificent Mile for shopping. You can take a cab and it doesn't cost too much.

Also if you have a chance, go check out the architectural tour by ferry.

Overall, this hotel is very good for families and couples. We were able to get it at a discount because of the wedding. At full price, you might want to check out other options before deciding on this hotel. It can be quite expensive.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Southern Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed here for five days in November for conference. Floor dirty, the cleaning staff did minimal, the bar staff is responsible for upkeep of coffee supplies and apparently they are trying to use up decaf because as I used the regular, they kept replacing with more decaf. No service at all on the last evening. Air and heating unit is poor, no circulation in room and lots of scuff marks in hall and room.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I really enjoy staying at Fairmonts and when business or personal travel took me to places with a Fairmont, that's where I usually stayed. The Fairmont Millenium
is a nice hotel - quite chic in the lobby. Unfortunately, it's just missing something. It doesn't have the same feel as other Fairmonts. I believe a big piece has to do with the service, and I'll recount some experiences below. Nothing terrible but not in line with the caliber a Fairmont is supposed to be. Overall, it's a clean space in an OK area. The Millenium Park is right there and a nice place to walk. You can also play tennis on the nearby public courts.

So here are some of the negative service experiences:

1. Check-in - 2 people, both on the phone, so had to wait nearly 10 minutes for someone to help us.

2. Arrived at our room to find keys didn't work. Had to go back down, wait AGAIN, only to find that we were given the wrong room number (714 instead of 602).

3. Went out front to get a cab. Doorman asked if I needed a cab, I said yes, he blew his whistle, walked away and began a conversation with another employee. Cab never came and he seemed more interested in his conversation so I walked down to the street to grab one.

4. Called the concierge to ask about the Adidas Fit gear. Was placed on hold. Kept phone on speakerphone while I shaved, brushed my teeth, etc., and he never came back on the line.

5. When I did get someone in te line, I asked if they had sweatpants (it was 34• out), was told yes, they sent up shorts.

6. When I went to check at the concierge desk, woman was on phone with what I assume was a disgruntled guest, as I could hear
the person's tone - while she was just rolling her eyes.

7. I had two packages arrive suing my stay. Was not alerted about either and when I found where to get them, it took about 15-20 minutes to get them.

Overall, these are mostly small things. In and of themselves I wouldn't complain, but the overall customer service experience here is poor. It's akin to what I had expected at the Hilton I chose not to stay at. My conference was there, and based on the hotel and service, I wish I had stayed there.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ben P
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

We've stayed at the Chicago Fairmont many times in the last decade and the hotel has improved immensely in the last few years. Before the recent remodel the rooms were dated ... worn out ... wallpaper loose ... broken pocket doors and fixtures ... just a very old, dirty and outdated, worn out hotel.

Even though we're loyal Fairmont customers we let management know how we felt about the condition of the hotel and we switched to the Trump for our frequent Chicago stays. The Trump is a fabulous hotel and worth another review, but hearing about the Fairmont's recent remodel we decided to give them another chance.

Wow! The new decor in the rooms and lobby just POPS. Like the Trump it's contemporary but what the Trump lacks, which is the warmth of a smaller hotel, was made up for in spades with the incredibly personal service of the staff at the Fairmont.

It was a complete makeover from decor to the attentiveness of the hotel staff at the Fairmont. We've come back to the Fairmont and have stayed there many times since over the last three years - the most recent last week for four days.

We love the new wine bar in the lobby where wines from all over the world can be sampled along with cheeses and now they've added top drawer scotch. The hotel restaurant, Aria, boasts a cutting edge celebrity chef who's going to be on Top Chef this month.

We always stay on the Gold Floor, (hint- the best suite on the Gold Floors is 1503 - a bath and a half and right next to the lounge). Speaking of the Gold Floor Lounge, the concierge on duty always treats you as though you're family and anything ... literally anything they can possibly get you from the hotel is yours for the asking. These great staffers don't know the word, "no." Finding out what sort of wine we enjoyed, for instance, they stocked it in the Gold Lounge during our stay. Any meal served in the hotel restaurant or via room service can also be served to you right there on the 15th floor in the lounge with attentive service from the concierge on duty.

All in all it's a great hotel. Not too small and not too large ... just right. About four or five blocks off Michigan Avenue. And they get just about everything right here now. From the bellman to the front desk to the room service and housekeeping staff and concierge there is just impeccable, personal service. After a long day downtown it's like coming home to family.

100% turn around from the way the hotel was just five years ago. If the hotel were right on Michigan Avenue it would be perfect ... the four block hike to cross the river and get to the Magnificent Mile is the only downside we've seen.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed at the Fairmont three nights with the Fairmont Gold package. I had a corner room with a view of Millenium Park and Lake Michigan off in a distance. The bed was amazingly comfortable and there were various pillows ranging from soft to firm to accomodate one's preference. The shampoo and conditioner provided smelled lovely. The concierge lounge is very nice and quiet and the staff were most helpful. The breakfast, cocktail hour and desert were perfect. I also ordered room service and the food was quite tasty and delicious. I'd definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

I stayed at Fairmont two nights attending a conference. The hotel is in an excellent location. The check-in and check-out process was friendly and efficient. The room was spacious. The bath room had separate shower and tub. The closet was suprisingly small. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. I didn't hear street or hall way noise. My only complaint is the Wi-Fi speed. The standard package costs $15 per day. The speed was so slow I thought I mistakenly selected dial-up. I ended up going to Starbucks in the Aon Center next door to get free high-speed Wi-Fi.

I had dinner in the Aria restaurant. The food was Asian fusion. The services were attentive but the food was not impressive enough for the price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Attending a conference at this wonderful hotel felt a little like a vacation. Excellent, helpful staff, beautiful rooms and superb location mean I will return. Beds were slightly lumpy, but all the comfy pillows and linens felt so divine, I kind of forgot the mattress was too soft. The Eno bar was a focal meeting point for our group and it was a lot of fun.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business