Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$317
US$274
Sofitel
US$200
US$190
  • Room Service
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$256
Hilton Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$271
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Hotel Allegro(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$229
US$218
  • Bar/Lounge
3,158 results
All reviewsmillennium parkgold loungegold levelpresident's clubroom servicenavy piermichigan avenueart instituteroom was spaciouslobby barthe magnificent milethe windy citycorner roomthe loopfitness centervalet parkingmag mile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2013

In Short:
We got a GREAT suite (due to overbooking) for a very good price.

The Story:
We booked using a "name your price" website for a last minute trip for the weekend of the Big Ten basketball tournament and St. Patty's Day.

When we checked in late that Friday night, they told us, with some trepidation, that they were booked to capacity. "Uh oh!" I thought. But the desk clerk asked us if it was OK to upgrade us to a suite. BONUS! (We just couldn't have late check out. No big deal for us.)

Our suite on the 18th floor was large, with clean, modern decor and full of yummy amenities. The bed was OH-SO-HEAVENLY - the perfect combo of plushy and support. The bathroom was large and had pretty-smelling soaps, etc. - which is sweet, if you're into that kind of thing. (I am. My decidely anti-foo-foo husband could care less.)

The good:
Large, beautiful suite
The bed. If I could've stolen it, I might have.
Nice bathroom amenities
iPod dock
Yummy coffee in the room & it brews at lightning speed. (Which is good when you neeed COFFEEEE!! NOWW!)

The bad:
Parking is pretty expensive - even by Chicago standards.

Pro Tip:
Park at the AON Center next door. Only $14 a night on weekends.

Room Tip: We could hear the elevator whooshing up and down, but our room was right next to the elevator shaft - literally. If you're a sensitive sleeper, request accordingly. Personally, we slept like rocks, but we were also super tired.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

After booking a reservation, I immediately began looking forward to our stay at this luxury hotel. While the room was very nice, I would compare it to a three star hotel. The staff at the front desk were very personable as was the waiter at the front lounge where my husband and I enjoyed a glass of wine after the play we attended. The greatest problem that I have with this hotel is that the ability to get a cab within twenty-five minutes is almost nonexistent. We waited in a line of about 20 people for a cab for fifteen minutes when we realized that at the rate that the cabs were coming to the taxi area of the hotel that we were not going to Be on time for our dinner reservations. We know that the hotel attendant has little control over how many cabs come to the hotel, but we could not help but notice that the hotel across the street had many cabs pull up and that the hotel attendant was actively flagging them down. Our attendant was just standing in the inner circle curb with a whistle in his mouth, but not blowing it. This may seen trivial, but I should mention that it was cold and rainy that evening and by the time we got to dinner we were soaked and cold to the bone. With all of that said, would I stay here again? Only if I got a really good price for the room.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I've been wanting to stay at the Fairmont Chicago for a while as the location is nice (a bit back from Michigan Ave but close enough to get to the action). So when I was finally able to stay here, I was disappointed at what I got for the price.

First of, if you can get this hotel during one of their sales or via a 3rd party opaque site for under $110/night, it might be okay considering how expensive Chicago hotel rooms can get. The hotel lobby is nice and there are doormen to assist with your luggage if needed. Check in was efficient and pleasant but as I had never stayed there before I had to ask where the elevators were (not intuitive from the layout---they are opposite the check-in counters and behind the restaurant). As a member of the Fairmont President's club I had requested (and confirmed) an upgrade to a suite for my stay. Upon arriving in my room, I realized that it was not a suite at all but I had been upgraded to the Gold floor which meant I had access to the Concierge lounge with free appetizers and breakfast in the morning (you must pay for alcoholic beverages in IL). Unfortunately, even though the room faced the lake and had a nice view it was an adjoining room (and again not a suite). Luckily, for me my neighbors had just entered their room and when I realized that I could hear EVERY single word of their conversation including the part where the wife asked the husband if she SNORED too loudly, I knew it was time to change rooms. You would assume that a hotel like this would have better soundproofing but this was worse than some motels I've stayed in.

Anyway, after getting a new room I discovered that the hotel was hosting a mock-UN competition for students that weekend. Of course, no one at the hotel had bothered to tell me that when making my reservation (nor was it posted on their website) so in addition to losing my suite to the students, I also had to endure extremely long waits to get an elevator. Case in point, the next morning, I had to walk down 15 flights of stairs when every single elevator at 10 am was packed with students and I gave up after a 25 minute wait. (FYI --- I believe this competition is held the first week of Dec in case you wanted to try it!).

Having said that, the hotel facilities are nice with a large fitness area in their spa and nice public areas. The rooms are dated and worn at the edges-----you may not see it at first, but upon close inspection you will see torn corners or aging paint or the like. The bed is comfortable and I did get a good night's sleep. The bathroom was fine until the next morning when I noticed that my shower drain had "regurgitated" up some sort of rust concoction. Not very appealing for a "Gold" level room.

Service was not there as I suspect they were all worn out by the mock UN competition. Understandable but not acceptable for a property that claims to be "luxury". Yes, I know the President stayed here last winter but I'm sure either he had the Presidential Suite or didn't have time to notice the flaws at this property. In any case, you'd do much better staying at the newly renovated (yet much larger) Hyatt Regency just down the street.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Manico
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are very sorry to hear of the inconveniences during your stay.
We’d appreciate an opportunity to discuss these issues with you directly at your convenience.
Please email us at Chicago@fairmont.com if you would kindly allow us this opportunity.

Hotel Manager
Dear Guest,

Reviewed 16 March 2013

My husband and I were traveling to Chicago for the weekend and found a steal of a deal online for this hotel. Based on the price my expectations were low. When I walked in I was blown away. It is a beautiful hotel! The lobby is very nice and modern. The rooms were very nice as well with plenty of bathroom/getting ready space. Nice robes in the room and I really liked the iron. (its not often that the iron in the room is good quality) Beautiful views as well. Overall I would return in a heartbeat. The only downside is parking was like $50... but that's Chicago for you, I don't blame the hotel for this.

Room Tip: Check online deals!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear you found an affordable rate and enjoyed your guestroom accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I took a recent March break vacation to Chicago this year and was I in for a surprise. We stayed on the gold level of the hotel and were greeted by the most courtiest and pleasant concierge ever, her name was Megan. They got are room ready in minutes and we got to indulge in the snack and drink area. When I asked about having a day planned catered to my two and a half year old they were excited to do it! The day was great the attractions were awesome! Megan even followed up with a personal note to make sure we had everything we needed and had a good time ( Never been done before). She even recommended a phenomenal Mexican restaurant. This hotel was te perfect spot to stayin Chicago! If you can stay here and meet Megan you'll be in for a real treat. We also had a lake view that was sensational! Thank you fairmont gold staff, well see you again! One last thing when we got some passes to the She'd Aquarium from the hotel, I recommend you buy from the hotel, it bypassed us a huge line! And special VIP stroller parking!! Awesome Awesome!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Coachk2001
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Good Day,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay on the Gold Floor at the Fairmont Chicago and that Megan exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your kind words and have shared your comments with Megan and our Fairmont Gold Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Gold soon.

Kind Regards,