“Not sure how it could be any better...”

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #90 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Not sure how it could be any better...”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

So I've been to Chicago many times, usually to visit friends in Lakeview, but this trip, I attended a conference held at the hotel. I don't think I'll ever stay another place again; the Fairmont Chicago had everything I could want -- and it was all pretty damn fabulous. From the perfect location at Millennium Park to the incredibly comfortable bed, this hotel lives up to the Fairmont reputation for luxury and service. The style of the hotel was glamorous but not stuffy, traditional but not stodgy. My room on the 35th floor had an incredible view through the bay windows, beautiful finishes and furniture (homage to Frank Lloyd Wright), and an enormous modern bathroom with gorgeous travertine slathered everywhere, including the separate glass-enclosed shower stall. Probably the most indulgent treat at the Fairmont was the Le Labo products in the bathroom. Whoever chose this line and specifically the Rose 31 fragrance is a genius. If you're looking for a fabulous, stylish hotel that's literally three blocks from everything you want to do, stay at the Fairmont. They'll treat you like The President.

Room Tip: Even though they are near the elevators, the XX23 rooms have HUGE bathrooms and gorgeous views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian W
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a thoughtful review.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Chicago, Millennium Park.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Irvine, California, United States
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The gym was great. It was large and had every machine I wanted. They also had delicious tea! The beds were good and the location was great. I had platinum access, or something like that; they had complimentary breakfast, desserts, and appetizers. No idea how much more it was than the regular, but it sure was awesome!

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Hotel was recently renovated, Stayed here one night during New Years Eve weekend. The hotel is quite large and located near the central hub of Chicago. Enjoyed the lobby lounge, great for wine tasting and cheese, they have boards that the bartender assembles in front of you. Lobby lounge is a little loud, centre of lobby with faux walls. The hotel restaurant was unique. Chef came to table to greet and talk about his specials of the day, added touch. The portion sizes were bigger than expected for fine dining / casual fine dining. The food is definitly Asian fusion and some french influences. Server at restaurant was very attentive and caring, and never intruding. The Hotel room was decent size, view of the park, bathroom was very nice, modern with glass encased shower and separate toilet area. Room service 24 hours and what was different was there was no set menu for late night. We could order anything and everything. Needless to say that bill was large. When compared to other Fairmont properties, this is comparable to Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver, B.C..

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CanJAD
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

We checked in on 16th March 13 @ 8:00 AM and have ready requested early check in as we were taking a 16 hr flight to reach Chicago

Unfortunately the hotel staff did not even bothered to call back despite repeated calls from us until 4:00 PM and were given a king bed instead of a twin bed request as we were 2 adults traveling together and were denied acess to gold lounge for payment where as we came to know later they gave access to people occupying even the rooms though the Front desk Manager Stella promised we would be indemnified for this but she never turned back during the whole stay.

Upon checking in we found our suite was smelling like a smoking room where as we have booked a non smoking twin bed room.

Though upon complaining we were told there was no other option instead and we can take a room (a degrade) and were finally given half the price for staying at same room which smelled like a smoking room during my whole stay.

Guys be particular to book what you want and make sure you get this

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank VJ_SJ_KIWI
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are very sorry to hear of the inconveniences during your stay.
We’d appreciate an opportunity to discuss these issues with you directly at your convenience.
Please email us at Chicago@fairmont.com if you would kindly allow us this opportunity.

Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2013

In Short:
We got a GREAT suite (due to overbooking) for a very good price.

The Story:
We booked using a "name your price" website for a last minute trip for the weekend of the Big Ten basketball tournament and St. Patty's Day.

When we checked in late that Friday night, they told us, with some trepidation, that they were booked to capacity. "Uh oh!" I thought. But the desk clerk asked us if it was OK to upgrade us to a suite. BONUS! (We just couldn't have late check out. No big deal for us.)

Our suite on the 18th floor was large, with clean, modern decor and full of yummy amenities. The bed was OH-SO-HEAVENLY - the perfect combo of plushy and support. The bathroom was large and had pretty-smelling soaps, etc. - which is sweet, if you're into that kind of thing. (I am. My decidely anti-foo-foo husband could care less.)

The good:
Large, beautiful suite
The bed. If I could've stolen it, I might have.
Nice bathroom amenities
iPod dock
Yummy coffee in the room & it brews at lightning speed. (Which is good when you neeed COFFEEEE!! NOWW!)

The bad:
Parking is pretty expensive - even by Chicago standards.

Pro Tip:
Park at the AON Center next door. Only $14 a night on weekends.

Room Tip: We could hear the elevator whooshing up and down, but our room was right next to the elevator shaft...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

After booking a reservation, I immediately began looking forward to our stay at this luxury hotel. While the room was very nice, I would compare it to a three star hotel. The staff at the front desk were very personable as was the waiter at the front lounge where my husband and I enjoyed a glass of wine after the play we attended. The greatest problem that I have with this hotel is that the ability to get a cab within twenty-five minutes is almost nonexistent. We waited in a line of about 20 people for a cab for fifteen minutes when we realized that at the rate that the cabs were coming to the taxi area of the hotel that we were not going to Be on time for our dinner reservations. We know that the hotel attendant has little control over how many cabs come to the hotel, but we could not help but notice that the hotel across the street had many cabs pull up and that the hotel attendant was actively flagging them down. Our attendant was just standing in the inner circle curb with a whistle in his mouth, but not blowing it. This may seen trivial, but I should mention that it was cold and rainy that evening and by the time we got to dinner we were soaked and cold to the bone. With all of that said, would I stay here again? Only if I got a really good price for the room.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I've been wanting to stay at the Fairmont Chicago for a while as the location is nice (a bit back from Michigan Ave but close enough to get to the action). So when I was finally able to stay here, I was disappointed at what I got for the price.

First of, if you can get this hotel during one of their sales or via a 3rd party opaque site for under $110/night, it might be okay considering how expensive Chicago hotel rooms can get. The hotel lobby is nice and there are doormen to assist with your luggage if needed. Check in was efficient and pleasant but as I had never stayed there before I had to ask where the elevators were (not intuitive from the layout---they are opposite the check-in counters and behind the restaurant). As a member of the Fairmont President's club I had requested (and confirmed) an upgrade to a suite for my stay. Upon arriving in my room, I realized that it was not a suite at all but I had been upgraded to the Gold floor which meant I had access to the Concierge lounge with free appetizers and breakfast in the morning (you must pay for alcoholic beverages in IL). Unfortunately, even though the room faced the lake and had a nice view it was an adjoining room (and again not a suite). Luckily, for me my neighbors had just entered their room and when I realized that I could hear EVERY single word of their conversation including the part where the wife asked the husband if she SNORED too loudly, I knew it was time to change rooms. You would assume that a hotel like this would have better soundproofing but this was worse than some motels I've stayed in.

Anyway, after getting a new room I discovered that the hotel was hosting a mock-UN competition for students that weekend. Of course, no one at the hotel had bothered to tell me that when making my reservation (nor was it posted on their website) so in addition to losing my suite to the students, I also had to endure extremely long waits to get an elevator. Case in point, the next morning, I had to walk down 15 flights of stairs when every single elevator at 10 am was packed with students and I gave up after a 25 minute wait. (FYI --- I believe this competition is held the first week of Dec in case you wanted to try it!).

Having said that, the hotel facilities are nice with a large fitness area in their spa and nice public areas. The rooms are dated and worn at the edges-----you may not see it at first, but upon close inspection you will see torn corners or aging paint or the like. The bed is comfortable and I did get a good night's sleep. The bathroom was fine until the next morning when I noticed that my shower drain had "regurgitated" up some sort of rust concoction. Not very appealing for a "Gold" level room.

Service was not there as I suspect they were all worn out by the mock UN competition. Understandable but not acceptable for a property that claims to be "luxury". Yes, I know the President stayed here last winter but I'm sure either he had the Presidential Suite or didn't have time to notice the flaws at this property. In any case, you'd do much better staying at the newly renovated (yet much larger) Hyatt Regency just down the street.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Manico
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 20 March 2013