“Love it!”

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Love it!”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Absolutley fabulous hotel!

Great big room, spacious bathroom, great views of lake.
Very, very comfortable bed.
Excellent bar/restaurant (great sushi)
Very proffesional and friendly staff.
Close to Millenium park and Michigan av.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank puregreen
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear puregreen,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay especially the view, the bed and the sushi.

I hope to welcome you back to the Fairmont soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I are former Chicagoans and have stayed at the Fairmont several times in the past. I've also run several business meetings at the Fairmont when I worked in downtown Chicago, so I'm very familiar with the Fairmont. Granted, the hotel has been totally remodeled and is quite beautiful. However, their customer service was average at best. The front desk guy was very "businesslike" when we checked in. I can't say he was "friendly" and he never smiled while checking us in. We were there only one night, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and the hotel seemed rather quiet and empty. We came to visit family for the holiday, but decided to stay downtown our first night back home to enjoy downtown. Upon getting to our room, we had to call the desk about the mini bar not being completely stocked because we didn't want to be charged for items we did not consume. I also had to request hypo-allergenic bed pillows because I'm allergic to feather pillows. It took almost an hour to get them delivered. Also, the "necessary" items such as Kleenex and toilet paper were scant. We had to request additional items during our one night stay. The desk clerk said we would have a lake view when we checked in, however with so many condos either already in place or being constructed, the lake view was almost non-existent. The only good thing about the view was that we were on a higher floor. A city view would have been much nicer. This room was part of an air/hotel package booked online, so we got a better rate for the room than if we had booked the room by itself, but still the price was too steep for a one night stay. The room service and on site restaurant prices were way too expensive as well. There was also a charge for Wi-Fi, which we chose not to use. It was really cold that week in Chicago, so we didn't venture out very much to reacquaint ourselves with the city that evening. The room was extremely cold when we initially checked in, so we had to turn the heat up to almost 80 degrees to get warm and stay warm. The mirrors started to fog up once we did that. Bottom line, our experience at the Fairmont was just "OK". Would probably stay again, but only at a much more discounted rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view or one of Grant Park.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeeBee2007
Dear DeeBee2007,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor.

I am very concerned about your observations and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly. If you would like to discuss, please contact me at chicago@fairmont.com.

São Paulo
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The best of the Fairmont is that it’s less than 100m from my company’s office! But the hotel is actually pretty good in many other aspects.
I stayed there for business – a conference was held in the hotel’s business center (very large one!), and that was very convenient.
First I shared a room with two friends and then moved to my own bedroom. The room itself was very good, with a long aisle in the entrance, clean and large bathroom (good lighting too, given that it was internal and there were no windows). The bed was absolutely great and with a nice and large TV. The view was to the building right on the other side of the street, which was not wow, but fine, given that I was on business.
Another good point to highlight is that it’s absolutely close to Millennium Park! In 2 minutes you get there. And it’s also conveniently close to Michigan Av, only a few minutes’ walk.
The only little problem I had is that when we tried to get into the room, there was someone in there! We went down again and they gave us a different room… not a major problem but definitely something I don’t want to happen again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear sofiacrater,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I appreciate you bringing your concern about the room to us, but I am very glad that enjoyed your accommodations and that we were conveniently located.

I hope to welcome you back to the Fairmont soon.

Monticello, Indiana
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Being former Chicagoans we decided to stay downtown for a special birthday Celebration instead of with his parents. We found a great deal for the Fairmont downtown and chose it partly because it is close to the South Shore Line Train station which we brought in from Indiana. It was an easy walk even in the gusty Chicago winter winds. We had a corner room which was very large and luxurious. The bathroom consisted of a separate Tub and shower, and was also very large, Mini bar included in the fridge, and robes in the closet. We will be returning for a quick weekend getaway downtown.

Room Tip: We had a high floor corner room which was very large.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie H
Dear JamieW1987,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were conveniently located to the South Shore.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

janesville, WI
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Husband followed the GPS and went to the car valet entrance. They said it was not a problem and called for a Bellman. We waited forever and finally got the bags out of the car by ourselves because apparently it was not the valet's job to be helpful or the least bit apologetic, even though we paid $65 a night for parking. We dragged our way-too-much luggage to the front desk where they said they never got a call. Hmmm. Thankfully our room was excellent. I had no complaints there. Loved the Nespresso machine. Husband was disappointed that there was no pool and the workout room was unimpressive. (He said in retrospect he would have chosen the Swissotel for their fitness center then we could have walked indoor corridors to the Aria restaurant in the Fairmont.) Decor in lobby of Fairmont is quite modern. I did not find it aesthetically warm and inviting on a frigid December day. There was no where to get a light lunch ($20 for a slider at the bar?) so we walked over to the Radison Blu and had lunch and enjoyed hot cider in their lobby and sat by their fabulous fireplace.
We found the staff at the Fairmont very friendly and helpful, once we got past that first valet and we loved the food at the Aria Restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear trulike,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to learn that your arrival was not up to Fairmont standards. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom and Nespresso coffee maker.

If your travels bring you back to the Windy City, please let me know.

London, UK
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Fairmont only in name. Service patchy at best. Switched rooms 3 times at arrival because room were not cleaned from previous guests. Some of the staff tried hard, but given the state of the hotel and the expectations set by the brand - any attempt to mask the many shortcomings were futile.

Carpet in the room lounge area was wet for unknown reasons. Bathroom was very worn and in desperate need of refurbishment. Room, lift and corridors felt grubby.

Executive lounge was "ok" for US standards.

Location is good for the park, but not that great for the pier and shopping.

In short: I suggest you find an alternative place to stay in the windy city, I certainly won`t return.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pro-Flyer
Dear Pro-Flyer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I value your feedback and I am very concerned that we did not meet your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your stay, please contact me directly at chicago@fairmont.com.

Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Service very patchy. Room not ready when we arrived at 5pm. Bedding not provided for the pull out bed, and unceremoniously dumped at our door once we requested it. On the morning of our departure housekeeping kept ringing our doorbell to see if we had left, all before 10am.
We value good service and found the Fairmont Chicago lacking.
We will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Patrick T,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We value your time and appreciate your feedback.

The level of service that you received is not indicative of Fairmont standard. I hope you will give us another opportunity to give you a true Fairmont experience.

Please contact me directly at chicago@fairmont.com when you travels bring you back to Chicago.