“Good Choice for a Good Deal”

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #90 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good Choice for a Good Deal”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night for a little escape. I booked a package that included parking and given that parking is usually $65 a night I paid less than what I usually pay for a Hampton Inn when I travel for the Fairmont. Taking into account the low price it was well worth it, but for their normal prices I would steer away.

Check-in was smooth and quick even though there was a long line when we arrived. We went up to our Standard room and at first glance the room was small but well appointed and a fairly large bathroom. One thing I never got was why hotels don't use fitted sheets for the bed. Well the Fairmont uses fitted sheets, but guess what they don't fit! After laying on the bed the top part of the sheets immediately popped right off to expose the mattress, gross! That is really not acceptable for a hotel of this class although I have yet to find many hotels that figure out how to get sheets that fit correctly. The bed and pillows were actually pretty comfortable for the one night. The other issue we noticed was the water pressure which I think was mentioned in other reviews. While taking a shower we lost the water completely for a second multiple times. I have never experienced an issue like this before and again seems crazy at any hotel, but especially at a Fairmont.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jdog99
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear jdog99,

Thank you for your review. We know your time is valuable and I appreciate your insights. I am glad that enjoyed your stay and will share your concerns about the sheets with the Director of Housekeeping.

I hope to welcome you back to Chicago soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
winnipeg
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Spent a few nights over a recent weekend. Expecting a higher than average experience I was disappointed and heres why. The room was as pictured, although old it was maintained adequately. The saggy sofa was probably the least appealing piece of furniture in the room. Valet staff were fantastic I will say that.
First morning I get in the shower and as I am standing there I see long black hair all over stuck to the shower walls. It is NOT my hair. Now im stuck in a shower feeling really grossed out. There were also hairs all over the top of my bed spread. Go out for some shopping and return around 330 to find the room is not cleaned yet. I call the front desk. they tell me the housekeeping is on the floor doing other rooms and the regular girl called in sick .. so I go look...noone in sight. I call back and tell them about the hair in my dirty shower and bed... they told me to tell the housekeeper. she finally shows up an HOUR later saying she came to work late. ok.... I mention the shower and bed to her.. NO comment. She is hacking and coughing by the way. I would like to give a special thank you to her because I became quite sick the next day with her virus and have been in bed all week now. SO thank you asian hacking housekeeper.
Not one offer to make it up to me from the front desk for any of this. I expect a clean room and at the Fairmont I expected a gleaming clean room with professional staff. Did not happen.
I am also vegan, ordered some breakfast from the room service tht did have vegan ite,s. I mentioned that I am vegan and to be sure I get soy milk etc. what do you think I got? yep.. cow milk. AND butter. the staff member swifty did get me soy milk. seriously, after the outrageous prices for room service and mix ups I am rather unhappy about my stay at this hotel and honestly do not recommend it to anyone unless you dont care about cleanliness too much and feel like throwing your money down the toilet for substandard service and food.
I will be looking at other hotels the next time I come to Chicago. Major fail Fairmont, you had a chance to make me happy when I was there and you chose to drop the ball.

Room Tip: I had the parkview suite but it wasnt so over the top amazing so choose your own to your liking
1 Thank smellbell
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband and I have been staying at this hotel for over a decade, but this is the first time I've felt compelled to write a review. My husband works for a company whose building is directly across the street from the Fairmont, so that is our main motivation for continuing to stay here. He stayed here monthly from 2000-2008, then changed to a few times a year, and I have accompanied him on over 20 trips.

We have seen the hotel go from dated and in need of a refurb, to very updated and modern. However, since that refurb a few years back, which was great in the beginning, now it just seems the level of service has slipped. We went from seeing the same doormen for years who always remembered us, to now seeing different ones at every visit. Aria Bar used to be a great go to place for decent sushi and a good drink, but now is just adequate. I was disappointed in a server that wouldn't let me buy a drink because I didn't have my I.D. on me, even though he remembered me from the night before. And, I'm no spring chicken, I'm 35 for crying out loud. They have their policies I guess, but it just seemed a little excessive to me. Housekeeping really lacked on our last visit and there were huge dust bunnies on our nightstand and on the phone that remained for two days until we cleaned them off ourselves. Also, it seemed we always had to make two calls for room service trays to be removed from our suite.

All in all, I wouldn't say this is a terrible place to stay. The rooms are updated with nice fresh decor and it is within walking distance to Michigan Ave, State St, Millennium Park of course, and Navy Pier isn't too far either. If you are there for business and it's proximity is handy, or your company has negotiated rates it is a good choice. However, it definitely wouldn't be my first pick if I were visiting Chicago just for pleasure.

Room Tip: Opt for a suite, they are good sized!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear chelmichell,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments and I am quite concerned about your Housekeeping and In-Room Dining issues. I will share with the Director of Housekeeping and Director of Food & Beverage. I hope that you will return so that we may exceed your expectations with legendary Fairmont hospitality.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Quite a stylish hotel in the heart of the Chicago's business district. Very nice lobby and huge rooms - perhaps needing a refurb soon. Staff are okay, not as refined as one would expect from a Fairmont property, but they're alright. Overall a good stay

Dear jasperlai8429,
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your feedback and I am quite pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back to the Windy City soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I really like the Fairmont. I've stayed her a number of times as it is right next to our Chicago offices. This is a big hotel with all the amenities you would expect, great staff and a very good location. A couple of comments aimed at the business traveller....

If you can, get upgraded tot he "golden lounge" up on the 15th floor (I don't know how you do this, but ask when you book). This has its own (excellent) breakfast, concierge, bar etc, you can take meals from the restaurant there, and it has a great view.

The gym is good - lots of cardio machines (I would say around 8 treadmills and about the same assorted nordic, step etc machines), both free weights and weight machines etc. Water, headphones and towels available. I would imagine, as is the way of these things, it gets quite crowded but as it is accessible 24/7 with your room key you can probably find a time. (I stayed on European time last trip and used it, happily, at three in the morning).

The hotel is linked to other bits of Chicago (the Aon building, Maceys, the various metro lines) via an underground walkway ssytem called the "Pedway". If, as it was in February, it is very cold or snowy (minus 30+ my last trip), then this is an excellent, if somewhat complicated, network and will make your life a lot easier.

Lastly, being on the edge of Milennium Park is great if you have any free time. The art museum at the other end of the park is fantastic - it contains a sort of "greatest hits' of almost all the artists you've heard of - and is worth a couple of hours.

As for the rooms etc - large, good space to work, multiple plugs, well functioning wifi, comfortable beds, separate and powerful showers.

Generally recommended by someone who travels a great deal and stays in hotels well over 150 nights a year....

Room Tip: The higher the better.
1 Thank Nick21Brussels
FairmontChicago, Owner at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Nick21Brussels,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your thoughtful and thorough evaluation of the hotel. I am thrilled that we are a convenient location for you and that our amenities suit your needs.

We look forwawrd to welcoming you back to the Fairmont on your next trip to the Windy City.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

When we first arrived we were immediately impressed with this hotel, lovely welcome from the concierge and reception. Then the stunning room that awaited us, we had everything we could ask for and more. The location was very good, we walked everywhere. All in all a little bit of class, would highly recommend. Also, if you're looking for a hearty American breakfast head to Wildberry Pancakes, just around the corner, it gets busy but is heavenly!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Megs1988,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and were able to walk everywhere.

Please come back and visit us soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Great location and within walking distance of a lot of great shopping. Stayed here for a conference which was going on in their conference center and my stay was great. The staff was very friendly and I received a free room upgrade!

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear sk415408,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our location was convenient for you.

I hope to welcome you back to the Windy City soon.