“Great hotel that needs minor refreshing”

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #90 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
“Great hotel that needs minor refreshing”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is one of my go-to Chicago hotels. I love the location, which is separate from all the tourist attractions -- this makes for a quiet, but entirely safe, walk back to the hotel, which I love. The lobby is magnificent, and the service is superb. I wish it had a pool. However, you can access the Swissotel's pool which is connected by pedway. One on premises would be much more luxurious. The room itself has great specs. The bathroom is great; it includes separate tub and shower, and separate vanity area, and natural stone finishes. The room is spacious with a very functional sofa by the window. I rarely use hotel sofa's, but this one was in constant use. However, the room is starting to show minor wear. It was not an issue for me, but I just wanted to point it out for other users. The desk chair leather is peeling, wood needs re-stained in some places, and the carpet is a bit worn. However, I will always make this my go-to hotel. I can guarantee that there is no better value in the city. You get 4.5 * accommodations for a 3.5-4* price.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake or the park. The views make the stay, and a city view can be disappointi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mkspencer1
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear mkspencer1,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to know that our location and service keep bringing you back. I value your candor about the condition of the rooms.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Fairmont soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
NY
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here five years ago and thought the place was great. But I don't think they change the furniture since. The rooms don't live up to what I expect a Fairmont Hotel. Actually changed rooms because the first one I got had peeling wallpaper in the bathroom.

On the bright side the manager changed my room immediately.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark L
Dear Mark L,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am dissappointed that your guestroom did not live up to your expectations, however, I am pleased that we were able to move you to a more satifying guestroom.

I hope to welcome you back to the Windy City soon.
Konstancin
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Fairmont hotels are always very good by comparison to other chains but this one was not among their very best when compared to other Fairmonts.

Our 37th floor room had the following less than perfect situations:
Limited lighting in many parts of the room
Just one waste basket for the entire room and no waste baskets in the bathroom or by the desk
Water pressure fluctuated
Dirty coffee cups were not replaced daily

Staff on the ground floor had to have individual heaters at their heels as heating system did not heat the lobby well.

Signage from prior conference was still standing a few days after the prior conference had passed from the hotel.

So I would take this hotel over the nearby lesser brands but I would not expect Fairmont quality to be achieved.

Dear TravellerPoland,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am deeply concerned that your stay did not live up to Fairmont standards and would like to discuss it with you further. Please reach out to me at chicago@fairmont.com if you would like discuss.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My wife and I stayed in early January on a road trip to the east coast. We upgraded to a suite using a certificate. Our impressions of our room were good view and good bathroom, but we found the walls were a little thin. A room adjacent to us was having a party of some sort and the noise level was high enough that we needed to employ the heating/cooling system fan to provide covering white noise. Other than that no complaints regarding the room.

Aria was okay for breakfast. The staff was the highlight as they were very helpful when I accidentally left my glasses in the room. I appreciate their efforts to ensure the glasses got back to me quickly when I drove back to pick them up.

Room Tip: The Parkview suite gave great views south towards Millennium Park.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear clarksdv2,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am quite pleased to hear that the Fairmont Chicago colleagues lived up to the legendary Fairmont standard for hospitality.

I hope to welcome you back to the Fairmont soon.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here for a week for meetings. The service at the hotel was great, friendly doormen and front desk staff. Great food and drinks at Aria restaurant. It was nice to have the underground path to Starbucks and not go into the cold. The rooms are nice and spacious and offer nice views. Good amenities, only thing which could be better is the shower pressure. Overall a great stay and also excellent service during the meetings. THe coffee breaks are great and they do some awesome stuff with the presentation.

Room Tip: Get a room at a higher floor and enjoy the amazing views
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
FairmontChicago, Manager at Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Rianneplaya,
Thank you very much for taking to the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the cuisine in the restaurant as well as at your meeting.

Please come back and join us when the weather is a little more pleasant.

San Diego
Reviewed 23 February 2014

As other travelers have mentioned, the location is good and the valet staff are wonderful, in fact no real complaints regarding any of the staff across the board. Concierge etc were kind and sweet.

A couple of considerations:

Aria restaurant has an appealing concept however they fail to deliver. The bread was surely a week old and our duck trio was cold. Typical hotel food with a hefty price tag. Go elsewhere.

The bedsheets were a nuisance, falling off nightly.

The shower water pressure is a trickle at best. Not exactly comforting after the cold harsh winter air.

After glorious stays in Whistler and Lake Louise, I know Fairmont can do better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank marcie87
Dear marcie87,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am quite concerned about your observations and would like to speak with you further. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts prides itself on our service. If you would like to discuss your stay, please contact me at chicago@fairmont.com

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Recent stay as fairmont gold left a little to be desired. The hotel is nice and wonderfully situated on the Chicago river with everything miracle mile-ish within walking distance even on a bitterly cold weekend. Our room was quite nice although I stayed at this hotel in 2008 and the room seemed identical in soft fixtures and bath. It was very quiet and had a nice view. The gold lounge experience however did not quite live up to our expectations. First I checked in online but still had to wait in the gold lounge behind someone with some kind of an issue for about 10 minutes and then essentially went through a typical Check in. So not sure what the online step accomplished Sat evening there was a shortage of seats and all the appetizers had a picked over look - and this was at 530. No one explained the premium wine dispenser versus house wine so I wound up requesting a $22 dollar glass of wine. And to be honest it was just not that good. I often stay on concierge levels at other hotels - rarely have I seen the evening offerings so lean. And usually a glass of wine is on the house. Breakfast was better. Not sure on next trip to Chicago I would not consider giving someone else my business and seeing if they do better. Gold lounge gal on duty both sat evening and Sunday morning was chirper and helpful - but she could have used help.

Dear Hearlander_11,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your observations and will share them with the Gold Team.

Our goal is to exceed your expectations. With this in mind, I hope you will give us another opportunity to treat you to legendary Fairmont hospitality.