“Great place to crash!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hercules, California
“Great place to crash!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here this past weekend. I have to say it was a great stay. Hotel was clean. Nice decor. Not sure if it is like this in all rooms, but our shower had no door or curtain! It was a little weird to be all exposed like that, but I just made sure I locked the bathroom door. Also, the shower floors are really slippery when wet. I am surprised there is no matting on the floor to prevent a slip and fall.

Room service is available if you wish to take advantage of it. I did not, so I can't tell you how it was.

Fitness Center is available on the second floor. I did use that and I have to say it was good. They have the standard treadmill, elliptical, and bike. There is also a machine weight set too. The center was very clean and the equipment well kept.

The hotel is right next to the LaSallle St. Station on the Blue Line for CTA. It was so convenient for myself! Easy to get on and transfer at other stops and it is a direct 40 minute ride from O'Hare.

On thing that I didn't like was the fact that there was no type of continental breakfast. Not even pastries and coffee! I know that there is a restaurant attached to the hotel, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on just breakfast! Dunkin Donuts is right across the way, and I made good use of them!

Also, I don't know why a few reviews give a thumbs down to the doorman, but I thought he was a good guy. He was very helpful and did give us some names of places to see and check out. "Showtime" was what he went by....good guy!

I can't think of anything else except next time I am in Chicago, I would stay here again. Decent hotel in a decent location for a decent price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on our showers and will take your comments into consideration for your future stay. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. Unfortunately, we have discontinued our breakfast service. We do offer coffee in our Business Center, and we are close to a variety of restaurants with different price ranges. Be sure to “like” us on Facebook to learn about upcoming specials and promotions. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Pictures of the Wyndham Black are deceiving. Felt it was too expensive for the experience. The concierge kept trying to get us to go to tourist attractions though we told him we visit the city all the time and already had plans. Shame on us, but at one point he walked us over to a jazz club he obviously had a deal with. He sat us in the very front where there was a two drink minimum and directly in front of the band, which was far from good. We drank our drinks, promptly left, and avoided him the rest of the trip. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aobersutton
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I have passed your comments along to our General Manager in regards to the incidents with our doormen. We would appreciate it if you would contact him at (312) 986-1234 so that we can address your issues in further detail. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to your return to the Wyndham Blake Chicago. I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to show you the best we have to offer.
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I was pleasantly surprised at the size and decor of our room. It had a king size bed, desk, dresser, end of bed chaise, and in front of the 3 windows, 2 chairs and a end table. Although the bathroom was huge, with a double sink, I didn't care for the shower. The shower had a rain fall shower head, this is because the shower is set up so that you are basically taking a shower behing a piece of glass that only covers half of the shower opening. While it looks cool, it certaintly isn't very functional. Other than that I loved the room. The food service was great, I ordered it every day during my stay for breakfest and the hotel staff very pleasant. It is within walking distance of everything in the Loop and only 2 blocks from the train. I took the Blue Line back to the airport no problem!
Note:I accompanied my boyfriend on a business trip and he was booked to stay at the Union League Club and his room was tiny and outdated, thank god we didn't "stay" there......We will definitely stay here next time in town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AceAnalyst
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at The Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are thrilled to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on our showers and will take your comments into consideration for your future stay. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. Be sure to “like” us on Facebook to learn about upcoming specials and promotions. Again, we are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Wyndham Blake Chicago and can’t wait to see you again soon!
London, Ontario
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the Wyndham Blake for two nights and had a great stay. Nicely central. Only a 10 minute can ride from anything and everything (Museum Campus, Navy Pier, Millenium park, Union Station, etc). The staff is wonderful and the rooms are very well appointed with lovely high ceilings. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Marina5446
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed a wonderful stay at our hotel! I have passed along your comments to our staff and they were happy to hear that we made your trip memorable. Be sure to “like” us on Facebook to learn about upcoming specials and promotions for your next stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 19 February 2012

In spite of the location (a little further south than necessary to have a good time downtown) we enjoyed our stay. The front desk staff was friendly and even let us check in a couple hours early so we could get rid of our bags when our train got in. The hotel sets up a nice little bar in the lobby for cocktails in the evening, which we took advantage of before dinner. The doorman was annoying.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank DLuxConst
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We appreciate your excellent review of our hotel. While we may be a bit south of the Magnificent Mile, the shopping on State Street expands each year. The Wyndham Blake Chicago is conveniently located within walking distance to Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, the Art Institute of Chicago, and Millennium Park. We are also nearby several train stations and bus stops to take you to other attractions throughout the city. Our doorman try their best to serve the needs of our guests. We apologize if he annoyed you in any way, shape, or form. That is not the way we want our guests to feel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 10 February 2012

With exception to a couple minor hiccups, it was a pleasant stay.
Yes it's old and showing signs of nastalgic wear. The vents could use some dusting and the corners a fresh coat of paint but, it dismisses itself given its character.

The Good: The reception, don't recall her name, we'll call her Spanish girl who has worked there for 6+ years, was so pleasant and kind. Jamie, the reception bartender, makes a mean white Russian! She was great too! All the concierge guys were great especially with small talk and eatery reccomendations. The bedding was very nice.

Issues: Room card didn't work on several occasions. One of the instances was due to a payment issue. I thought the guy who was handling the problem could have come across a bit less "you owe us money'ish" but he was young and I'll chalk it up to lack of experience.
The bathroom's plumbing was horrible! I'll just leave it at that.
The in-house supplied hair dryer blew the wall plugs fuse and never could reset the sockets to use again.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank FuninPlaya
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience staying at the Wyndham Blake Chicago. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. We have recently received some of our highest scores ever in regards to cleanliness and service, and feedback like yours will help to maintain those high standards. I have passed along your comments to our General Manager, Tom Bruno, and we will make sure the problems with the dust, plumbing, and wall fuse are no longer an issue in any of our guest rooms. We would appreciate it if you would contact him at (312) 986-1234 so that we can address your issues in further detail. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to your return to the Wyndham Blake Chicago. I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to show you the best we have to offer.