“Good Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Baltimore, Michigan
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Blake when in town for a show at the Chicago theatre. We have been to Chicago multiple times and wanted to stay in the theatre district. We booked through Hotwire so we didn't find out the name of the hotel until after we paid. We got a great deal that and we both feel like we got what we paid for. I think if we would've paid full price we probably would have been disappointed because the hotel does appear a little over-used. Valet parking was $47 per day which, in my experience, is the average cost at hotels in downtown Chicago. We drove around looking for another option but we couldn't find a lot that allowed over night so we just used the valet. It would've been nice if there was a valet only lane in front of the hotel, we had to lap around multiple times before there was space for us to leave our car for valet because there were cabs lined up. I called about a week before our reservation and reserved an upper floor, we were on the 7th floor and never had any issues with noise. Some hotels won't accept your requests if you use booking sites- so we appreciated this consideration! We were able to get early check in at 11:30am which we love. It was very convenient to get settled in the room and have more time to check out the city. We walked EVERYWHERE, even in -2 weather, the distance was bearable so we liked that about the hotel. We also liked that the room had HIGH ceilings, it made it feel large; but the room really was spacious anyways. One thing we disliked was the bathroom shower. I'm not sure if we were given a handicapped accessible room or what, but the shower was totally open to the rest of the bathroom. There was a curtain that did nothing so the entire bathroom got soaked during showers. We requested extra towels and staff brought us plenty so we had enough to keep on the floor for showers and use for ourselves. For us, since we were able to check in 4 hours early we just chalked it up to they accommodated us with what was available at the time and it really wasn't that bad! We didn't go in the bar or restaurant at all, there are too many cool places in Chicago! There was a Ginos East right across the street, which has always been our favorite Chicago pizza so we loved that. There is also a great hole in the wall bar called Kasey's Tavern that was about 2 blocks away we enjoyed too. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would be happy to stay here again if we got the same deal! The hotel itself was pretty average but the accommodating staff made it that much better.

Also, we forgot 4 shirts that were hanging in the closet and didn't realize it until we got home. I called and had to leave message for the housekeeping manager. I was contacted the next day and the staff shipped everything to us. We paid for the shipping, didn't request overnight or anything special and we received it within 2 days! Turned out to be another example of attentive staff members.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank trudeaulau
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am glad that you enjoyed our property with special regards to our friendly and attentive staff. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next experience with us in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The staff is good here-actually really good, but the hotel misrepresents their offerings. Although they have a restaurant, the latest it stays open is 10pm-not 12:30am as is listed on their website. I found this out the hard way. I came back to my room from a day long conference, took a brief break, and 20 minutes later hopped onto a nearly 2 hour webinar. Thinking that I certainly had plenty of time until the restaurant closed, I made a few phone calls. When I went downstairs at 9 pm (totally a decent hour) I was informed by the bell hop (rather rudely might I add) that the restaurant was closed due to pending inclement weather. While that is certainly understandable, when I asked what they typical restaurant hours were, I was informed that they are 7 am - 10 pm, which differs greatly from what's listed on their website. Needless to say, I was more than a little bit frustrated. These guys just need to update their website to make it accurately reflect their offerings,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IndyBelle2014
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our staff. I apologize for the issues endured due to the discrepancy on our web site. The web site currently reflects the restaurant's spring hours, and I am sorry that this was a problem on your experience. We do hope you get a chance to try it on your next visit. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We look forward to your next stay!
Wyoming, Michigan
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Wow ... let me just say I will be coming back to this hotel again very soon. The staff was amazing, very helpful on telling us how to get places or giving us great suggestions for food (also giving us good coupons). The door man "show time" made my trip! He was so friendly always asking us what we were doing that day and giving us suggestions for different restaurants or sites to see close by.

Unfortunately our bus was cancled and we had to stay another night. They were very understanding and made sure that we could keep our room. If you want a great place to stay I would recommend this place 100%.

Also if you are going just for a good time and to stop in at some bars there are a lot in walking distance. The train stop and buses were all very close if you wanted to see one further out.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Swimmyj1
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am happy that our staff could go above and beyond to make your experience at our hotel exceptional. We value your feedback and look forward to your next stay!
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Blake during our first time visit of Chicago. Overall it was a good experience. The hotel is located in a good spot. We rode the Orange line from Midway and it was a mere 2-3 blocks from stop. The staff was friendly, the doorman especially. He helped out telling us where we should go and giving us tickets as well.

The rooms were large and spacious. One con though is the hotel was pumping heat throughout the building and our room AC could not compete. There were some days where the temp was nice in the mid 60s, but still the room was not horribly hot but not where we like the temp to be.

Not sure if this was a downside of booking through Hotwire but they put us on the 2nd floor in a lower 2nd floor level in a back corner. Maybe other booking sites get better rooms, I dont know. We still had a view of the front so we could see people coming and going from the entrance but not the best room I suppose.

Still a good experience and a nice hotel. Centrally located easy access to trains and buses. A Dunkin Donuts on the other side of the block, excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Treklos
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am happy to hear that you chose our property for your first visit to Chicago. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay due to our convenient location and friendly staff. I apologize for the issues with the heating system during your stay. An engineer on staff would have been happy to assist with the problem. On your next visit be sure to request a room on a higher floor for better views of the city. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is one of those places that is really trying, I mean you really can see in their eyes; they really are trying to give you a great experience but there's a few fundamental things that are completely wrong about this place.

My room was downstairs from the first floor which made absolutely no sense and when I looked out the windows I found I was just slightly above the dumpsters in the back. I remember thinking how the next morning would be when the trucks pulled up to take the trash away. I didn't bother to ask for another room since it was too late in the evening and I was too tired to care.

The only other items worth mentioning in this review was that the business center has only a single computer so waiting to print out your boarding pass was kind of a joke. Oh, and the room service - yeah, no. I slept in only till 10 because I knew room service stopped serving between 11 and 1, at least that's what the menu said. When I called to order they said that they stop serving between 10 and 5 PM soooo 7 hours of no service? Who does that and why didn't they change the menus?

I will say that the service during our meetings was very good. The food they brought was of high quality and the room itself was good-sized, quiet and amply lit. How much we paid for it - who knows!

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank cohibafan
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay at our hotel. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I apologize for the issues endured on your experience. On your next visit, be sure to request a room on a higher floor to ensure a quiet night's rest as well as a great view of the city. I do apologize that our business center did not meet your standards. We do hope you get to try our new restaurant, Meli Cafe, on your next visit. They have an extensive menu as well as provide room service to our guestrooms. I am pleased to learn that your meeting was a success and hope you give us another chance to show you the best we have to offer our guests on your next visit.
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Beautiful room. Huge window overlooking the library! Friendly helpful staff and great location to theaters, millennium park and magnificent mile. Great rate given at the last minute. Wonderful cafe connected to hotel with unique offerings and right across the street from Starbucks. I'll be back!

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Rhonda B
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Blake Chicago. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us at our hotel with our convenient location to attractions in Downtown Chicago and beautiful rooms. We appreciate your feedback of your stay and hope to see you again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed the night here after flying in from Australia and found it to be very good. Although the South Loop location may not be for everyone, the hotel is a short walk from Lasalle Blue L station and not too far from Union Metra station (our arrival and departure points respectively).

Check-in was quick and courteous, and the wi-fi service was solid. The room was a decent size, and the bed extremely large and comfortable. The shower was also really very nice. We had ordered a SIM card for our US stay, which the Blake held for our arrival and handed to us at check-in.

As breakfast wasn’t included, we ate at the Potbelly café in the same building – good porridge (oatmeal) at a reasonable price. Good coffee can be had at the nearby Intelligentsia café in the Monadnock Building (53 W. Jackson).

A good hotel at a decent rate, in a location that suited.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KaleneAndy
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am happy to learn that you found your experience at our hotel enjoyable with our convenient location, friendly staff, and comfortable rooms. We are glad that you found breakfast options in the area and hope you get a chance to try our restaurant, Meli Cafe, on your next trip. We appreciate your kind feedback of your stay. I look forward to seeing you again soon!