“Huge rooms & baths, convenient location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Blake Chicago
Ranked #33 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Illinois
“Huge rooms & baths, convenient location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

My stay at the Hotel Blake provided just the respite needed during a stop-over traveling cross-country. The location in Chicago's South Loop is a $5. cab ride (or one subway stop on the Blue Line with 5 min. walking on each end) from the Amtrak/Union Station. Curbside doorman/bellhop service, pleasant and efficient desk staff, lovely lobby, and what a wonderful oversized room and bath! Standard in-room coffee set up but no breakfast or in room fridge that even the upscale "Ascend" boutique hotels in the Choice hotels collection sometimes offer. My king-bedded room's bath had two sinks and an oversized walk in shower--no tub. Probably not so good for families with young children but great for adult business travelers and tourists looking for comfort at a reasonable price (I paid ca. $100 advance purchase rate with Choice Hotels membership) planning to take all meals out (there is an in house restaurant, I think. I had to arrive late and leave early so could not check it out).

Room Tip: My room on the 5th floor, by request far from the elevator, was very quiet even though it overlooked...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank college_prof_11
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our property. We are happy that you found our location convenient to transportation and our staff to be helpful during your stay. We do hope you get a chance to try our restaurant, Meli Cafe, on your next stay. We appreciate your kind review and look forward to your next trip.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Turkish first
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I recently stayed at Hotel Blake when I was in Chicago with a friend. I had run into an initial issue when trying to get a discount. This hotel used to be part of the Wyndham Group but recently broke away from that company. I had a discount for the old ownership and one of the managers of the hotel gladly gave me a discount and said he would personally make sure I was treated well while there. He was apologetic about the confusion and very quick to respond to me.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were given vouchers for breakfast each morning of our stay and a free drink at the bar. The Meli Cafe, attached to the hotel, was delicious! Wonderful breakfast and even though our voucher had a limited menu, it had plenty of options to be worth it!

The staff at the hotel was very helpful and the location was perfect. It was enough away from the busy part of the city to be quiet, but still very close to the Sear's Tower, and shopping. The rooms were nicely updated and we had a HUGE window with a great view of the city.

We had originally chosen Hotel Blake because we wanted a nice place in the city that was affordable. This was a perfect choice for that and I will definitely be staying there in the future when visiting Chicago.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a handicap room because the water from the shower will get all over the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank WPreston14
Thank you for sharing your feedback of the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our property. We are glad that you could experience our new restaurant, Meli Cafe, on your trip. We are also happy that you found our location to be convenient and our rooms to be spacious. I appreciate your feedback of your stay and look forward to your next visit to the Windy City!
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have being staying at the Blake for years. Only once have we had to stay somewhere else and man I didnt like it. Tom B, the manager, has been very helpful to us. I was even god (guest of the day) once. Great and comfy rooms, polite housekeeping and the front desk staff. Showtime, the bellman, goes out of his way to help in anyway he can. He always makes me laugh. We promise we will only stay with you!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank HorseColl
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments in regards to your recent stay at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am very pleased to learn that our property is your hotel of choice when you visit the Windy City. I am also glad that I could provide assistance to you during your stay, and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We value your business and look forward to your next stay in the near future.
Ulft, Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was nice staying at this hotel!
Friendly people and a nice and clean hotel.
Walked a lot in the City and it has the perfect location for that.
It made my second stay in
Chicago a lot better than my first.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Paul_Schrijvers
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am happy that you enjoyed your first experience to Chicago with special regards to our hotel. We appreciate your positive comments and look forward to your next trip!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was a nice hotel with a competitive price. It was a little further south than we would have liked, but not to far from "L". The best part of our stay was "showtime" our conciere. Very helpful and very friendly!!!! It was like comming home every evening with how we were greeted by "showtime". Keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jfcotravelors
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am glad you found our pricing competitive and our location to be close to transportation during your experience. We are happy to learn that our staff was an important part of your stay as well. We appreciate your kind feedback and look forward to your next trip to the Windy City!
mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

When we go to Chicago, The Blake is where we always stay. This place is quiet, clean and fun. Showtime is the best part of the stay. He is the doorman who not only greets you with a smile but always has a joke to tell me. I love the BLAKE

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bob193
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am thrilled to hear that our property is your hotel of choice when you visit Chicago. We are pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and our staff friendly. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay!
Spencer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed here four days in February-March 2014 while attending a conference a block away. The service (especially Greg at the concierge desk) was friendly and helpful, the room was roomy and well appointed, and the location and price were fabulous. Highly recommend this hotel and will stay there every time I come to Chicago (unless they drastically raise the rates). Thanks to the staff for making my stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MauraIthaca
Thank you for sharing your wonderful stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience while in town for a conference. I passed along your comments to our staff and they were happy to learn that they could be a memorable aspect of your stay. We value your business and look forward to your next stay.