“Very good hotel”

Ranked #34 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, clean, old style, typical chicago gotham decor... Excellent breakfast at meli café, though a bit pricey. Great location at the loop. Overall recommended. Harrison station nearby, though closed for repairs during my trip. Nice restaurants nearby.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Renato C
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with special notice of our beautifully appointed property and convenient location. We appreciate your kind comments in regards to your experience and look forward to your next stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here and loved it. Great location, parking options, friendly staff, etc. Only there one night so we didn't need much but a comfy bed and a nice shower - and we got both. Meli cafe downstairs is delicious.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Hotel Blake Chicago! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, friendly staff, convenient location, and on-site restaurant during your stay. We do hope you get a chance to spend a longer visit with us on your next trip to the Windy City!
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I’m more of a bed-and-breakfast or guesthouse kind of traveler, so budget-wise, a hotel like the Blake is a step up for me. I found everything typical and perfectly fine, with a couple of slight annoyances.

First, apparently it’s common for hotels to assign disabled-accessible rooms to people who don’t need them, when people who use wheelchairs or scooters aren’t renting the rooms. This gave me an enormous room in which I spent little time, as I was attending a conference at a nearby hotel that was sold out. That was fine, but I found the shower a bit of a pain – there was very little water pressure, and the hand-held showerhead was of course designed for someone in a wheelchair, so it was affixed to the wall at a low height and angle. I hadn’t noticed this when the very friendly front desk clerk called to ask if my room was OK, and when I discovered it the next morning, I’d already unpacked and decided not to bother moving, as the room was in a quiet location.

And as at least one other guest has mentioned, when I went to take a shower on Sunday morning before catching my flight out, there was no hot water. I packed my bags for about half an hour, and the hot water had replenished itself. So if you’re in a hurry on a busy day, schedule your shower early or late, not at peak time. If you can’t sleep in daylight, bring an eye shade – the sheer curtains let in a lot of sun, and the heavy drapes aren’t a full set, and are affixed to the wall, so they don’t cover the windows.

The only real problem I had was with other, younger guests who were drunk and apparently thought the halls belonged to them and they could hang out and be loud. As it was 9:30 on a Saturday night, I didn’t get too worried, but I did mention it to the bellman on my way out for dinner. He called security to take care of it immediately, and I later saw the bellman himself talking to the drunk folks. I didn’t hear a thing the rest of the night, and this was typical of the staff – very professional, friendly, and helpful.

The hotel location was ideal – it’s in the Printers Row area, just outside the downtown area of the Loop, so within walking distance to Millennium Park, the Art Institute, etc. It’s about a block from an entrance to the El, and near a pharmacy, a convenience store, a bookshop (hooray!), a taco shop, and a number of restaurants, but still quieter at night than the “inner Loop.”

Given the prices of hotel rooms in the Loop, the Blake is a great bargain, and I’d stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank springbyker
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel. I am glad that you found your stay enjoyable with special attention to our friendly staff and convenient location in downtown Chicago. I apologize for issues endured with the shower on your stay. Your comments have been passed along to our maintenance department to ensure that this is no longer a problem in the future. Our staff strives to meet the needs of our business travelers and we do hope we can exceed your expectations on your next stay. We value your business and look forward to your next visit.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed four nights at the Blake, the front of house staff were very welcoming, knowledgeable, and helpful. The rooms are a good size, and nicely decorated, and the bathroom was excellent. In terms of location, its not right in the heart of the nightlife r the shopping area, but its a five minute walk to the lake front, and about 20mins to the Field museum through a pleasant park. The Starbucks opposite offers a decent breakfast, as does the Panerra Bread a couple of blocks east. The nearest El-Train station is jus 10mns away, so all the main Chicago attractions are easily accessible. The slight problem was that the hotel seems to be relatively close to an emergency services depot, so we did get a fair amount of siren activity at night.

1 Thank Viking1861
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We are glad that you found our location to be convenient and our rooms spacious. To ensure a quiet night's rest on your next stay, we suggest requesting a room on a higher floor. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting for the Yankees/Cubs series. We were a few blocks from the red line, which took us right to Wrigley which was great. The hotel staff was helpful with recommendations for food, attractions, etc. and transportation assistance. Our room was a decent size, the bathroom was huge, which I loved. Everything was clean and neat in the room when we checked in. Meli Cafe attached to the hotel was great for breakfast, we even grabbed a quick drink one night. Would definitely recommend this place!

1 Thank Stephanie V
Thank you for sharing your feedback of the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at our hotel. We are happy that we could be of assistance to make your trip to Chicago memorable. We value your business and look forward to your next stay with us again soon!
Manhattan, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Unbelievable. I am a very frequent traveler and stay at hotels all the time and have never, ever had a negative experience like the one I had at the Hotel Blake. Upon checking completely alone, I received one key card from Corey at the front desk. Later that evening, my long-time boyfriend came to the room after work and we went out for dinner with old friends. We returned to the hotel after an early night by 11:00. In the morning waking up around 9:30 AM, my boyfriend informed me he had heard somebody messing with the lock which he had deadbolted that night and had found it ajar, thinking it was the cleaning person (as it was around 5 AM when that had happened). I said no way, couldn't be the cleaning staff, it was only 9:30. I quickly got up and went to the dresser where we had left our wallets and phones (totaling about $3K, we had cash in them as well) and they were both missing. I used the Find My iPhone app and tracked my phone as being in North Chicago. When I pulled up the map, Mike and I went downstairs to inform the front desk. We explained what happened and the woman at the front desk rudely accused us of leaving the door open (???). As we showed them the GPS tracker, 2 minutes later the phone went dark... very suspicious. They said they would have to call in the GM, who doesn't work on weekends I suppose and would check the mere 6 security cameras they only have in the entrances and exits. At this point, I was extremely distressed to the point of tears, not because of my material items but rather that I was so disturbed somebody broke into my room while I was sleeping and had it been somebody who saw me check in, presumed I was a single woman alone for the night. The GM Tom Bruno finally came in and sat us down in his office. He never once asked the value of our items taken. He also felt the need to tell us that his hotel was insured because oftentimes businessmen call escorts who rob them. I was disgusted because that had absolutely nothing to do with are scenario. We also immediately called the Chicago police who dispatched somebody shortly. While we were waiting for the CPD, Tom Bruno asked Mike and I when we were planning on leaving, which was a little egregious considering we had our phones and wallets (with IDs, cash and credit cards stolen). When the officer arrived, he was extremely kind and understanding. He took diligent notes and cited that it likely was an employee and a targeted act. He told us that many of these upscale hotels tend to appear nice but have awful security (they also only had ONE security guard on duty). He took our report and told us that he "hopes the hotel does the right thing." He also said, though we tracked our phone, he could not go recover it because it was out of his jurisdiction. What ensued next was nothing short of a nightmare. Tom Bruno seemed so disinterested and when we relayed what the cop said about it being an employee, he seemed nonchalant and did not defend his employees whatsoever. Then, to add insult to injury, he offered to give us cash from his personal ATM... I couldn't believe it! I asked him how he would feel if his daughter checked into a hotel room alone and this happened to her. I couldn't care less about money at this point, it was an issue of security and doing the right thing. Tom assured us he would speak to his insurance company and get back to us as soon as possible, when "the corporate world wakes up on Monday". I held back writing these reviews for a week in hopes that the hotel would issue some sort of help. I was wrong. Monday came and we heard nothing from Tom or bluegreen (the owners of Hotel Blake). We also discovered my debit card was used at the BP directly across the street from the hotel as well, so since we heard nothing from Tom or bluegreen, Mike reached out with the new information about BP, provided screenshots of where our phones were found. We barely heard a sentence back from Tom. My very concerned father was copied on the email chain as well, since he is a great resource and obviously rattled by what had happened to me, he offered to provide services from his college police and fantastic detective team as well as asked for any contacts at bluegreen that he may know, since he has connections with many other hotel businesses. Tom did not respond to any of our emails other than to copy the director of loss prevention, completely ignoring my father's email, offer to help and request for more information. Another day or so passed and we had heard nothing. Mike and I individually reached out to the corporate bluegreen offices several times. Mike finally got in touch with somebody named Chris in Risk Management at bluegreen. Chris was incredibly patronizing, 0 sympathy for the situation, told us that we should not involve third parties (such as my dad, again, who was just trying to help and was obviously concerned) and offered no compensation whatsoever or apology. This was an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE.speak to his insurance company and get back to us as soon as possible, when "the corporate world wakes up on Monday". I held back writing these reviews for a week in hopes that the hotel would issue some sort of help. I was wrong.

27 Thank Melanie D
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The good:
- We stayed in a room with two queen beds for two nights. The room has a huge window with very nice city view and the beds are comfortable.
- The hotel is near the blue line (connect to the O'Hare airport), the trains running on the "loop" (one of the must experience in the city), and various buses (with a $10 CTA one day pass, you can take unlimited trips on the city bus and Rail "L" system trains within 24 hour period).
- The hotel is also within walking distance to the various attractions on the south side of the city (Buckingham Fountain, the Art Institute of Chicago)
- Like the other reviewers already noted, Meli Cafe, in the same building as the hotel serves excellent food. We had breakfast there, wanted to try more things on the menu. The serving size was large. Also, there is a Gino's East (known for Chicago deep dish pizza) right across the street from the hotel.

The not so good:
- We booked a standard queen room but got the accessible room which means the bathroom does not have a bath-tube. Instead, it has an open shower that does not have anything stopping the water from flowing to a large area of the bathroom (for wheelchair access). The bathroom becomes dangerously slippery after shower. We were not asked at check-in if we were ok with getting this kind of room even though we booked the standard Queen room. Once we were in the room, we were too lazy to change. So, if that type of bathroom bothers you, make sure you clarify that you are not getting a room with the accessible bathroom.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ChocoTea
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with special notice of our convenient location and spacious rooms. I do apologize that the room was accessible. Our hotel was sold out at the time of your stay in which the accessible room was one of the last available. We hope you get a chance to experience a standard double queen room on your next stay. We appreciate your kind comments and look forward to your next trip!