“Great Location. Beautiful Room”

Hotel Blake Chicago
Ranked #33 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
O'Fallon, MO
“Great Location. Beautiful Room”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Checked in late. Got upgraded to a stunning corner room. The staff was friendly and warm. The room was very comfortable. The hotel is in a great location and within reasonable walking distance to just about anything you could want. Will definitely stay there again next time I am in town. And the doorman is the icing on the cake.... Better not let him go!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Hotel Blake Chicago! I am happy to hear that our staff could go above and beyond to make your stay exceptional. We appreciate your kind words about your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Upon entering the lobby, you could tell that the staff valued their customers. They were incredibly helpful. Whether it was flagging down a taxi for you or giving you restaurant advice, they would do anything to make your stay more enjoyable. On to the topic of cleanliness. I have never been to a building this clean, including many hospitals. The lobby was immaculate. The rooms were very well maintained. The beds were made every day for you. The rooms were extremely spacious. There was enough room for my mother and I to have our own space and then some. The beds were also VERY comfortable. I slept better than I have ever slept. My only complaint was that the maid came banging on people's doors and shouting at the top of her lungs at 9 am. I can't wait to go back in a couple weeks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I appreciate the notice you took of our staff on your experience at our hotel, and I am glad that they could be a positive aspect of your trip. We are very happy that you enjoyed our clean and spacious rooms. I do want to apologize for the incident with housekeeping. We will keep your comment in mind during training with our staff to ensure that our guests do not endure this issue again. We value your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us again soon!
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Blake hotel is centrally located offering different types and standards of rooms . Service is good . Look's like the hotel was redisgned/modeled not long ago and offeres a boutique kind of epxeprience . Rooms were spacious and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay. We appreciate your kind comments in regards to our excellent service and nicely appointed rooms. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be of competitive value as well. We value your business and look forward to your next experience with us again soon!
Miamisburg, Ohio
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here Mother's Day weekend 2014 and we had a great time. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and eveything in our room worked (Tv, iron, phone, etc..) so what else can you ask for? The bell hop was great and gave us great suggestions on things to do to help us have a nice time in Chicago. It has a restuarant connected to the hotel also and the food there was good so that was a plus. There's a Jazz club, shopping and other restuarants in walking distance. In a nut shell would I stay there again.....YES!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Blake Chicago for your recent stay experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel with special regards to our friendly staff, accommodating amenities, and convenient location in Downtown Chicago. We appreciate your kind comments of our property and look forward to your next stay.
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband stayed here all week for business and I joined him for the last day. I experienced a lot of the same issues I see people posting pictures of. The room overall was fine, it was the bathroom I have the most complaints of.

The only complaints I had about the room was that there was no bag for the ice bucket, so I did without the ice (don't know how the inside of that bucket was cleaned), and the lamps were outdated and damaged (i.e. wear and tear).

The bathroom: sink was clogged, countertop cracked, toilet flushed VERY loudly, shower dripped all night, mildewy shower, drips of dried caulking stuck to the wall, water damage to the back of the door. This is as a result of the shower. Normally, in a "snail shower", the glass enclosure would cover 3/4 of the shower, not 1/2 of the shower (I have one at home). So water splashed all over the floor and splashed onto the back of the door, causing water damage. While the shower drain wasn't clogged, the shower had standing water, proving that there is an incorrect slope to the bottom of the shower floor, so water was not properly diverting to the drain. I had also put out the "do not disturb" sign on the door, but at 8:30 am Housekeeping was knocking. At least she didn't try to come in when I didn't answer (I was still in bed).

Customer service at the desk was fine, concierge named "Showtime" was so friendly. He recommended a pizza place other than where we planned to go and gave us a coupon for free appetizer. He recommended Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, within walking distance. The deep dish pizza takes 30 minutes to cook, but it was well worth the wait!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I apologize for the issues endured on your experience. I would appreciate it if you could spare a minute of your time to go over your stay in detail by reaching out to me at your earliest convenience to ensure that these issue do not occur again in the future. Please call the hotel directly at 312-986-1234. We value your business and hope you give us another chance to show you the best we have to offer our guests.
Ruston, Louisiana
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My family and I recently spent five nights at Hotel Blake, and we could not have had a better experience. The hotel is located on Printer's Row, just a short walk from Grant and Millennium Parks. We were greeted at the door by the bellman, Showtime, who is absolutely one of the hotel's most valuable assets. One of the kindest, friendliest, most caring and accommodating staff members I have ever encountered! He always had a smile on his face and was ready with great suggestions for anything you might need. Truly one of a kind. The front desk staff was outstanding as well. Always smiling and courteous - they tended to our every need. Tom, the general manager, went out of his way to help solve an issue for us. He and his staff should be commended for a level of customer service that is not always present, even in the best facilities.
Our room and bathroom were very spacious, well-appointed and clean. Not much of a view, but I didn't expect one. Although the hotel does not have an in-house restaurant, it is connected to Meli Cafe, which was delightful. We had two meals there - very innovative and fresh. There was a Starbucks just across the street, which is always a plus, and a pharmacy just a short walk away.
Overall, our stay at The Blake was outstanding, thanks primarily to the staff. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Hotel Blake Chicago! I am pleased to hear that our staff could go above and beyond to make your stay exceptional. We are happy that you found our rooms to be comfortable and location to be convenient on your trip. We appreciate your kind feedback of your stay. Our staff looks forward to your return trip to the Windy City!
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was my first time at an Ascend Hotel. My stay was nice enough but as someone who travels often for work, I found it expensive ($250+) for what it provided. You get a decent room, shower and internet. My room looked out on a high building just next door, no view. There's basic TV, no movie offerings. It doesn't come with a mini-bar or refrigerator. No room service. The location is convenient to the loop, which I took from/to O'Hare. There's a Starbucks across the street. There is a small staff -- you might have to wait at check-in. The bellmen are full of personality, which gives it a welcoming feel. The area is quiet at night. I wasn't lucky with the nearby restaurants but maybe you'll be. There's a CVS pharmacy a block away. My stay was comfortable but not exceptional.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I would like to let you know that your comments in regards to your room have been taken into consideration for future improvements to our property. We value your business and hope you give us another chance to show you the best we have to offer our guests.