“Excellent stay...after upgrade”

Hotel Blake Chicago
Ranked #33 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This review is based on a stay in July 2013, when the hotel was called Wyndham Blake Chicago.

I had booked a "Superior" King room a good time in advance, and was initially given one on the 3rd floor. While the room was "okay" (small, and didn't have the big bathroom), it didn't smell fresh, and was almost on street level and once again next to an elevator. It absolutely was not worth the almost $300 a night they charge in July around weekends.

Because of the noise - I was aware of the high price so that wasn't the sole reason - I simply inquired whether it would be possible to get a similar room on a higher floor, and got almost immediately a free upgrade to a huge room (possibly a "King Suite"?) on the 9th floor no questions asked - SUPERB service there and certainly made me very happy!!

The upgraded suite / room was beautiful, big and has the large double-sink marble bathroom. It also had a lounge chair, desk, a comfy sofa and plenty, plenty of room. Very happy!

Noise is an issue from other rooms and from the busy street below. Bring good earplugs (I always do) and you won't have a problem - the king bed is wide and awesome, firm but very comfortable!

Unfortunately the WiFi signal on the 9th floor was between poor and nonexistent, it barely worked. There also isn't a minibar (fridge) in the rooms, so you couldn't store cold drinks or snacks etc. You can rent one for $25/night... There's a 7-Eleven next door, so it isn't that necessary.

There is pretty much nothing closeby, so you have to hop on the EL to go elsewhere for dinner. There is a pricey pizza place (which also delivered to the hotel as their "room service"), a Starbucks and an Epic Burger around the corner.

Luckily there are Blue/Brown/Pink (LaSalle) and Red (Harrison) line stations within a short distance, a couple blocks.

I didn't have any problems with hot water or water pressure, or the air conditioning.

Room Tip: Book one of the suites, my room was #906
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ssounds
Write a ReviewReviews (2,012)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The staff was very friendly and efficient. They were eager to serve and answer any questions.
The room was very clean and well organized. This hotel was close to many restaurants and shopping.
I would recommend it to anyone.

Dan

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nevir
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Went to the Hotel Blake with some friends to go to the baseball game. We had an excellent experience overall. From the moment we entered, everyone was helpful. The hotel has a city bicycle route in front of it so when you arrive you should pull up to the cones but not directly to the curb or you will be in the bike lane. The fireman was right there to help us. The checkin was quick and our rooms were great with a nice king size bed an 4 large pillows. Room decor was fashionable. Had breakfast in the restaurant one morning and it was super for the whole group. We saw the manager several times and he asked us how our stay was going and I there was anything he or his staff could do for us each time we saw him. Everyone was super friendly in this hotel and the location is great, just a short walk to the l lttain and close to many activities. Great value, great rooms and great people make for a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank BillyBud200
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights, Thursday through Sunday. We loved the location of this hotel. We are walkers and being outside the loop was no problem. The hotel size is what we prefer and the room was nice. It is very good value, $575.00 plus tax for the 3 nights.If you are expecting 5 star you will be disappointed, but if your expectations are reasonable you will be delighted. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Cafe Meli has a wonderful breakfast, do not go anywhere else! This is Chicago so you need to accept that big city issues will be everywhere, this includes noise, hostels down the street etc. If this is to much to handle maybe you should stay home, otherwise take advantage of the opportunity to stay in this part of town while its still affordable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The personnel were helpful and congenial. Rooms were spacious and clean. I have stayed here before and was pleasantly surprised with the addition of the restaurant. This was a major plus and a much needed service for your guests. Will be back!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife, grandson & I were stranded in Chicago about 9:00 P.M. as a result of missing our Amtrak connection. We called the Blake and were given two options for the night even though Amtrak swore there were no available rooms in the city. We found the room we selected to be very clean, up to date and reasonably priced for the center of a large city. The staff was courteous and helpful (we needed a lot of help since we were not expecting to stay in Chicago at all). And we were surprised to find that we were even within walking distance of the station the next morning. It turned a bad experience into a good one overall.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Philip W
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel Blake this past weekend for one night as I was looking to stay in a one of a kind and relatively affordable South Loop Hotel. The Hotel was set up in a corridor layout, was 9 stories high, and seemed like it had potential to be converted to a Downtown Luxury Apartment complex if necessary. The room I stayed in was located on the 7th floor on the West Side of the building with a view that could see the loop. The room seemed large and had an excellent tile shower with a few good amenities in it. The room's view was excellent seeing the Willis Tower (aka Sears Tower), the buildings in the loop west of the Washington Library, and the Architecturally interesting federal prison. The hotel was at the intersection of both Dearborn and Congress with the ability for one to traverse the South Loop, Grant Park, the museum area, the Financial area, Printer's Row, and other such similar places of interest all within a very short walk. Compared to other Chicago Hotels I have stayed in, it wasn't the absolute greatest but for its value ($239 after taxes on a summer weekend night in Downtown Chicago) and the other above listed positive attributes, I am glad I stayed here. The staff seemed to be very courteous as well making the stay here easier. I would definitely recommend it to those asking me about it and I would definitely want to stay in it or another hotel like it in that part of town on my next trip to Chicago.

Room Tip: Make sure to get one more on the North Side of the Hotel as it will provide better views of the Loop...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo