“no personality”

GreenLeadersGold level
chicago
“no personality”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Very nice place, however, the people that worked there were oblivious to anybody that stayed there. I'm used to being greeted and asked daily how I am doing. Again, not a huge knock against the staff, but they could have really shown some gratitude that I was throwing a lot of money at them. In addition,$55 dollars for parking a day?? That price wasn't included in my over charged room rate? I didn't even use my car, and there lot was nowhere near capacity. All in all, a nice hotel that doesn't deserve to be downtown Chicago. I'm sure there are other owners that wish they had that location that would know how to serve there clientele. Don't book here, try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Dear corcormi,

Thank you very much for kindly reviewing your experience at Swissotel Chicago. It is very sad to learn about this unfortunate occasion in which we failed to fulfill our genuine service promise. In the light of your kind opinion; we will do every effort to avoid similar shortfalls in the future. I also understand your concern regarding the parking rates however, please be ensured this is a good value offer for valet parking with in and out privileges at our location.

alp.akyuz@swissotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
chicago, Il
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I want to start off by saying the hotel was gorgeous, clean and in a great location. Our room had nice views of the city and had an interesting layout being a corner room in the triangle shaped hotel. What we didn't like about this place was the fact that the staff seemed bothered by our presence. They never once said "hello" or "have a nice day" the many times we passed through the lobby, even as we checked in the clerk at the front never told us to enjoy our stay.
We paid a lot of money to stay at this hotel I would have expected to be treated a little better, instead they over charge for parking, wi-fi and don't offer any extras what so ever.
The thing that bothered me the most was that I had booked my room 2 months in advance and requested a room on the upper floor, we got a room on the 19th (which was still a fantastic room) but were told higher floors were an upgrade, but I've read several reviews on this site of people saying they got rooms on top floors w/o requesting or paying for them. I had paid for the upgrade and they told me that was the best they could do.
Maybe if they retrained their employees on some basic customer service skills this hotel could get an excellent rating

Dear dn9999,

Your comments are really helpful for the entire Swissôtel team and encourage us to further improve our services. It is pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of your room. Meanwhile we will do every effort to ensure the consistency of our heartfelt service promise. I also hope for your understanding that the floor preferences and upgrades are very much dependant on the availability and I will be happy to assist you personally upon your next visit.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 September 2012

When I arrived at the hotel I asked the front desk if we could have a room that was quiet. He laughed and said it's only as quiet as the room next to you. I didn't think it was funny. I didn't like the fact that the room only have full beds. When we decided to connect to to the internet in our room, it didn't work. We called the front desk they didn't have a solution, so they connected us to technical support. After almost an hour, on and off of being on hold, they told me to go into the bathroom to see if the connection was any better. Are you kidding me? I told management and when I came back to my room later that day, I had a bottle of red wine and a sorry note. Nice gesture, but there is only one problem...I am allergic to red wine. A trip full of problems and no solutions. I will never go back!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear dilemmadrew,

Thank you very much for your kind review and our apologies for the technical shortfall regarding the internet connection. I am happy to inform you that improvement actions are already in progress to ensure a much better and convenient experience to our guests in the not too distant future. In the light of your kind opinion, we are also extending further training to ensure better courtesy at the front desk.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I was surprised and pleased that the free (to me) wireless internet connection had a sufficiently high bandwidth to watch a streaming movie on the computer and skype with a friend. The room was spacious with a European-style of shower and a separate bath. The view of the river was fantastic and the FP TV was large, The staff was friendly and helpful. The exercise room had a great view of the Michigan Lake, and though the cardio equipment was heavily used, I always found a free one. Slight negatives: no free breakfast, somewhat slim selection on cable TV channels. BTW, the elevators are efficient and pretty cool. All-in-all: a good value. Check it out!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Great hotel! My wife and I stayed here last month for our anniversary. Upon arriving, we talked to the front desk staff and found out our room was not ready yet, so we were upgraded to a corner room on the 5th floor that had perfect sightlines of Navy Pier. The room was a little larger than the standard size, very clean, and had a nice bathroom just off a short hallway. The staff was fantastic. Upon hearing that it was our anniversary, after we returned to our room from dinner, there was a bottle of champagne, chocolate cupcakes, and several delicious Swiss chocolates waiting for us! They also provided a pass to the concierge level on the 40th floor, which had a fantastic serve-yourself breakfast. I’ve stayed in several Chicago hotels, and this was easily my favorite. Can’t wait to come back!

Dear bdwyer19,

Thank you very much for choosing Swissotel Chicago for your anniversary and it is true pleasure for us to learn that our team ensured a memorable stay. We are already excited about your return and now we will even work harder to provide you with a better experience next year or; maybe even earlier.

Weston, Florida
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The hotel is modern day made-for-business place to stay with a good amount of amenities. The rooms are not lavishly large, but perfect for a single or couple stay. The room we were in was very clean and had a great view of the Navy Pier. It's situated right in the middle of most of the Chicago attractions, or a short taxi away to the others. Millenium Park is just a couple of blocks away and about a quarter mile from The Loop. The hotel stands out with the modern design of the building which overlooks the river below. The service was excellent. The bed was really comfy and the overall stay was quite enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Spent two nights at this very nice property, room 4010 featured a decent view with the river below and was clean, well appointed with a nice bathroom. This would definitely be a hotel I would return to in the future. The hotel is in a good location close to many downtown Chicago sights and about a fifteen minute walk from the L train Randolph station. The elevators are interesting with their dedicated floor assignments.The only negative was I could not understand why the bed had only a sheet covering the mattress and not an additional sheet on top. The restaurant at the base of the property is pricey but the food is very good. On the 42nd floor there is a nice pool, hot tub and considerable exercise equipment with views of Lake Michigan and Navy Pier. Expect to pay $300 per night for these accommodations.

Dear S E,

Thank you very much for your nice and detailed review and it was a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed the convenience of location as well as the comfort and cleanliness of your room during your stay. As a Swissotel standard we currently use duvet cover however for your future visits we will be happy to prepare your room with additional sheet according to your preference.