“A Great View With Cool Elevators and Bad Computers”
Review of Swissotel Chicago

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #63 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“A Great View With Cool Elevators and Bad Computers”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I recently was at the Swissotel on a business trip and stayed there four nights. I very much enjoyed the experience. My view from my room was extraordinary with large windows overlooking The Navy Pier and Lake Michigan. The pedway was a nice addition providing easy walking options on cold days. The pedway also has a Dunkin Donuts for coffee very close to the hotel. The elevators were very contemporary and interesting -- once I got the hang.

While all of this was great, my front desk experience was not. Check-in literally took me 20 minutes, once I was at the counter with an agent. It just seemed to take forever to enter info and make transactions. I went back to the front desk twice during my stay to make requests or ask for my folio to be presented with bar/restaurant options removed to a separate folio, and both times the employees told me that the computers were operating slowly and that I would need to stop by later. I could never figure out if the issue was the computers or untrained employees, but the front desk experience has some room for improvement.

Overall, a very good experience, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for ones overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank californiatnguy
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
While I'm glad you enjoyed your overall stay, I'm so sorry you were disappointed by our front desk's service. I'm completely understand how frustrating it is to wait that long. I'll be sure to look into the matter to see whether our computers or our staff's training needs improvement. I'm glad to know you'd stay with us again, and I hope you get a chance to visit Chicago again soon.

Take care,
(312) 268-8255

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at the swissotel over July 4th weekend and it was fantastic. Our room was clean and close to all the attractions. We made the easy walk to the Navy Pier for the fireworks and afterwards went to a couple bars that were close by. Overall it was a great Chicago trip.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Thanks for celebrating July 4th with us! I'm thrilled to hear you had a fantastic stay with us. Are you planning to visit Chicago for July 4th this year? If so, I hope you stay with us again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I live only a couple of miles from this hotel but love it so much that I often stay here for the weekend just to enjoy the views, the pool, the lounge and restaurant and, most of all, the excellent staff!

Room Tip: Premier Corner King. The views are phenomenal up high (20th floor and above.)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank annall_13
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Wow, you're favorite in town hotel! Considering we're neighbors, it's really nice to know you enjoy staying at our hotel that much. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a last minute trip. The room was standard downtown hotel as far as decor. Leftover beer cans from the prior guest I assume in the recycle can in our room. Makes me wonder what else was overlooked. I asked at the front desk if they had a shaving kit as my husband had forgot his. The answer from them was no I had to buy one in their 24/7 shop. When I got back to the room the housekeeper had already been there to bring toilet paper because there was barely any on the roll that was there and no extra she also left (surprise) a shaving kit!!!! No charge on that one. Went down to the lobby to have a drink with my husband and had to wait 15 min for a drink. The Blackhawks game had just let out so the two bartenders were having trouble keeping up. We left as soon as we finished not the relaxing drink we had hoped for. The staff at check in was not very friendly, almost as if we were bothering them. I have stayed at many downtown hotels and this one is not a favorite. Although there was no charge for the pool and it was lovely.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank beachlovin4
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
I'm sorry to hear you felt that you were bothering our staff. That's definitely the last thing we want for our guests, as we strive to provide helpful and welcoming service. Also, we normally clean each room thoroughly, so I'm shocked to hear you discovered leftover beer cans from the prior guest. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback with our housekeeping team so that this doesn't happen again.

Best,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed there for one night on New Years Eve. We didn't spend a lot of time there but it was very clean which is something we look for. Very expensive though, need to pay extra to use the pool so if your looking to go for that, keep it in mind. We parked in a parking garage nearby because Swissotel wanted over $60 to park. Not sure if I'd stay again, seems that there is other places that offer more for less money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank glovesave99
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thanks for staying with us! I'm glad to know you found your room clean and comfortable. Please know that our rates are normally much more reasonable. New Year's Eve is a peak night for all hotels in downtown Chicago. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you need a hotel in Chicago!

Best,
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked this hotel for our anniversary and were we happy! Perfect view of the Chicago river and city lights. Spacious room with ceiling to floor windows, flat screen and the most comfortable bed ever ;-) Very modern and chic! Located between shopping and entertainment on State St. and Michigan Ave. The Palms had a great menu for dinner and the bar was the perfect place for a nightcap. Customer service was very personal and accommodating seeing that we arrived before checkin. Even the Bellmen were wonderful, talk about a perfect celebration, this hotel made us feel as though we had found a secret part of the city.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loving L
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Happy Anniversary! Thank you so much for celebrating with us. I'm so glad to know that from our picturesque views to our comfortable beds, you enjoyed a wonderful stay. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their personal and accommodating service. Hope to see you back again soon!

indianapolis
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is a terrific Chicago hotel. I've only been there for business, but would consider staying here for pleasure. Great location, staff (front and back) and affordability, at least for a large US city. Take time to enjoy breakfast; french press coffee at your table is a nice touch.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thanks Bob! It's really nice to know you appreciate our central location and affordable rates. Whether you're in town for business or pleasure, I hope to see you back again soon!

Take care,