“Almost as expensive as Switzerland”
Review of Swissotel Chicago

Swissotel Chicago
Ranked #62 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Long Island, NY
“Almost as expensive as Switzerland”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I should start by noting that this was a business trip, so my lodgings didn't cost me anything. But I would never have chosen this place because they charge for Internet access: $14 or $24 per 24 hours for slow/fast connections. I figure that a place that doesn't offer free wifi isn't much of a host. Similarly, there is no coffee-maker in the room--they want you to come downstairs and buy from their lobby Starbucks. I don't remember what the room service coffee charge was; it's the $7 bagel that lingers in my mind.

That said, the clean and quiet room was spacious and well appointed, with a comfortable bed, nice bathroom, and lovely view. The location is terrific and the staffers are very friendly. I'd be happy to stay here again, especially if someone else were picking up the check.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thanks for reaching out about your experience with us. I appreciate the feedback on our pricing, and it's great to hear that you enjoyed the rooms. We hope you'll be back to visit us again!

All the best,
(312) 268-8255

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Beginning with the staff to housekeeping their services were amazing! They went above n beyond to make sure our needs were met!! I have advised to anyone going to Chicago this was the place to stay! For a couple get away or family vacation you will find that you cannot find something more accommodating then The Swiss Hotel, anything you need or want is walking distance! You will not be disappointed with this hotel! :-)

Room Tip: For us we ask to be in the rooms with a good view and it was perfect! We could see The Navy Pier and...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
It's wonderful to hear that you were so impressed, Rosa! Thanks for the kind words on everything from our customer service to the view from your room. Looking forward to your next visit!

Boston
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The location is off the busy Michigan Ave but still close to much of the action. Overall nice stay and good service. Concierge was fantastic. Recommended a great restaurant. The Palm restaurant was expensive but we had appetizers instead that were reasonably priced, good size and very tasty

Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thanks so much for the kind words on your stay, Kristin! I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed the concierge's help and the location. Thanks for taking the time to write, and we welcome you back the next time you're in Chicago!

Safe travels,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

staff were fabulous as were the accommodations. Would have given five stars but no free internet. What's up with that? no free use of pool or gym either. If you go, make sure you get a map to get to the market behind the hotel. It's very complicated the first time you are trying to get there. It's really good though so check it out.

Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
I'm glad to hear what you did and didn't enjoy about your stay! Thanks for staying with us on your visit to Chicago, and I hope you'll consider staying with us the next time you're in the area.

All the best,
Surrey Hills
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed in a corner suite on the 19th floor; the views were absolutely stunning, out to Lake Michigan one way and up the Chicago River and and the city skyline from the other angle. The night lights were fantastic and we did not have to go outside for these. As it was the start of summer there were fireworks out over Lake Michigan on both Saturday and Wednesday nights, which we sat in our suite to watch. I was shocked to be required to pay $6 plus extra hotel gratuities each for room service; there were no coffee making facilities in the room. Initially I was also expected to pay for internet services!

Room Tip: Corner suite is the 'only way to go' Negotiate internet services and also coffee making faci...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks for staying with us on your visit to Chicago! I'm glad that you enjoyed the view, and I appreciate your feedback on your visit. Hope you had a safe trip home, and our team would love to welcome you back if ever in the area again!

Rancho Santa Margarita
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Overall the room, amenities, location and pricing for the Swissotel during my stay was very good. My main gripe was the major delay in having a room available for me despite my reservation and staying multiple nights. It was after 6pm before I could get entry into my room despite arriving just after Noon. I was never informed of the delay or given an estimate of when the room would be available. At check-out they insisted I checked in much earlier but that was not possible since the time they gave me I was in the middle of a River tour!

If you can get a good price the hotel is nice and has good views however there are many great hotels in the area to choose from.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thanks so much for reaching out about your stay with us, Chris. I'm glad that you've enjoyed our amenities and location, but I'm very sorry that you had to wait for your room. I'll definitely keep your comments in mind about where to improve, and look forward to having you back whenever in the area!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was our first visit to Swissotel, my husband had a work conference and my daughter and I got to spend the weekend together. From the time of check in, throughout the stay, we were very well taken care of!

1 Thank KDOhio
Andreas B, Other at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thanks for reaching out about your first visit with us! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time in Chicago, and I hope you and your husband will be back to visit.