“Loved it - especially for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Grant Park Hotel

BEST WESTERN Grant Park Hotel
Ranked #137 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved it - especially for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

My boyfriend, his cousin, and I stayed here Dec 26-28 and got the hotel very early for a price of $75/night. We loved it - not just for the location, but for the friendly service. No, the hotel does not have "everything," but we didn't need it to. The lobby is attractive, the room was clean, the wifi worked fine, etc. I think many of the reviews on here are a little harsh, especially when talking about the decor. No, it's not fancy or even updated, but I did not feel uncomfortable. Our room was on the 8th floor facing 11th street, so we had a wonderful view of the Sears Tower from our HUGE windows.

The hotel also held the boys' bags while we finished our touring of the Art Institute. I wasn't there for it, but one employee commented on my boyfriend's soccer shoes and the two talked a little bit about the sport. The staff is definitely among some of the nicer I've encountered.

It's not a 200/night hotel, but for what we wanted it to be, it was absolutely perfect. This would probably be a great hotel for someone visiting Lollapalooza.

Room Tip: Get one facing 11th street!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alex P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Grant Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Thanks so much for the great review of your recent stay. We are so happy to hear that you loved your experience with us! We hope you enjoyed your visit to Chicago and that our location was a bonus for visiting the many sites in the city. We look forward to having you again when you return. Hope to see you again!
Thanks,
Alex Pulido

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

There were 3 major things wrong with my stay:
1) The wifi didn't work all evening (despite troubleshooting. It came back in the morning, luckily)
2) There was a spider in my bathtub. Spiders are carnivores. I wonder what it was eating?
3) This is the worst: I NEVER GOT MY Wakeup Call! I needed to wake up at 5 am for my interview. Luckily, I woke up on my own at 4:55, and sat in bed staring at the phone til 5:15, when I finally got up. When I complained about this downstairs, they insisted I must have missed it- well, if I did, that means it was at least 15 minutes late, 'cause I was in the shower by then. They denied all wrongdoing on this most critical error. (even 15 minutes could be crucial).

Other little cons: Parking was valet only, and costed $30 a night! I didn't find that on their website, so it came as an unpleasant surprise.
I forgot my comb, so they provided one for me- but I had to go down myself in my pjs.
When I told all this to the concierge, she wrote down my complaints (except for the missing wakeup call) and my phone number and told me her manager would call me to sort it all out. It has been 2 weeks and I still havent gotten that call. I dont think I ever will.

Pros: I slept very well. The room was cozy and nice (for the price), the bed was clean and comfy. It was in a great location. They did provide a comb.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

We were thrilled with the great price for our one night shopping getaway to the city. We found the front desk reception very nice and our room was more than satisfactory, clean, comfy bed,coffee maker. The roosevelt CTA which can connect you to anywhere in the city is a short walk away, as are several restaurants and clubs. i think the red velvet pancakes I had at the Bongo Room nearby was the best breakfast I've had in a long time.
The big problem and not one easily fixed is the noise.
My husband noticed a breeze under the aluminum surrounding our streetside window, so maybe a little caulk would help. but paper thin walls would be a much bigger fix. I am very sound sleeper, but even I was awoken numerous times by the sound of people below, the el roaring nearby and construction of scaffolding across the street at Columbia University at 6 am .Even with a good set of ear plugs, I wouldn't return. I'd spend a little more and get a place where an occasional siren is all you hear. Here, you hear everything and I do mean everything.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kathy/baits
Alex P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Grant Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
We are glad to hear you were thrilled with our location, friendly staff and breakfast. We apologize for any outside construction noise you may have experienced. We encourage all guests to bring any issues to the attention of the staff so that we can see about relocating your room. We try to accommodate all guest requests and hope you will visit us again with the great amenities we offer. Let us know beforehand of your experience and we can try a different room location for you.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

We needed an affordable, clean and decent place to stay for a business trip, and chose Best Western Grant Park due to close proximity to McCormick Place, price and great location. When we checked in, we were relegated to a smoke infused floor with layers of smoke oozing out of the every fiber of the carpet, 60s drapes and walls. I told the staff at check in that I'm both allergic to cigarette smoke and pregnant but there was nothing to be done, this was the best available (which I believe to be true, which makes it even worse). The towels are threadbare, shredded on the edges as well as stained. Every bit of metal has rust wear from vents to temperature control. The bed fell off its rail when I sat down. The view is of a construction site. You can hear conversations through the walls. Every floor in the entire hotel was sold out of water.

I vomited on arrival and am leaving with a body rash, burning eyes and headache. You would never know that this hotel is on Michigan Ave. I could not be paid to stay here again. I sincerely hope I can get my money back for the rest of the reservation.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here, bring slippers and ask for a non smoking room. Or better yet pay the extr...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ybjt
Alex P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Grant Park Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear Guest,
We received your feedback from our customer care department and will be reaching out to you directly. We do offer smoking rooms and encourage guests to book in advance if possible to secure the desired accommodations. We offer many amenities and services, including changing guests’ rooms if unsatisfactory. If we were sold out that night, the availability options can be limited but can assure you our staff is fully trained and experienced in doing everything possible to make our guests’ stay enjoyable.
Onalaska, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

This hotel is in a very good central location for just about anything you want to do in Chicago. The parking is in a fenced and locked facility next door and is handled valet style, so your vehicle is secure.The rooms are clean and a good value compared to the $300-$400 a night standards in Chicago, so don't be put off by halls, which could do with an upgrade. The elevators are older and slow, but the staff is friendly and helpful and there is a great restaurant right next door which stays open until 10pm if you happen to arrive late as there is not much else close without taking your car or a taxi. I was there on business and it was a short drive - less than 10 minutes to my conference center at the other end of Michigan Ave. The hotel is across the street from Grant Park, but it is a walk to the Museums.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the elevators and not near the L
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank KJCruiser
Dear Guest,
Thanks for staying with us during your recent business trip to Chicago and for your feedback from your stay. We’re happy to hear that you experienced our friendly staff, restaurant and location. We can’t wait to host you again the next time you visit Chicago!
Thanks,