“Very good”

Ranked #5 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Seattle, Washington
“Very good”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The lobby is beautiful -- gorgeous artwork. Room was nice and a lovely view. The reason it is not the usual 5 start rating for Four Seasons is service level. Most service was terrific -- but three poor service interactions in 36 hours is unusual for this chain. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't terrible service -- just not 4 seasons. Twice eating in the bar -- really slow to get menus and then just as slow to have our order taken. And twice with the bellman had to seek out someone to get a hand.

Not the usual super tight service level.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear ThomasJ206,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the views form your guest room. I am sorry to learn about your service experiences at the bar and with our bellmen. This is not the experience we wish for any one of our guests, and we will certainly make improvements in those areas. We also hope to have the opportunity to make amends and look forward to welcoming you back.

Michele Grosso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Fantastic views of the city (who needs to go up Willis Tower when you have a comparable view from your room?), comfortable furniture that's inspiring my next apartment, outstanding service, and perfect location. You step out into downtown Chicago, and the hotel itself is connected to a mall.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Liz L,

I am thrilled we are your favorite hotel in the US, and have inspired furniture ideas for your next apartment. I am delighted you were able to enjoy your stay, guest room and views, and thank you ofr your review.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just stayed at the Four Seasons Chicago for a two week business trip and I can't say enough great things about this hotel. Firstly, the service is impeccable. I don't know how they do it but it seems like every employee knew my name and the all the names of my associates. We were always greeted warmly when we arrived and there was great follow through for every request. Karen the concierge could not have been more helpful. And Linnea at the front desk was a positive joy. Karen in Group sales put together a great package for my party so everyone felt great before the trip even started. The Four Seasons Chicago's rooms are amazing as well. Normally, I don't sleep well in hotel rooms but the beds at the Four Seasons Chicago are delightful and I slept better in these beds than most hotels around the world. The one issue was the building was constructed to sway with the wind, so there was "creaking" throughout the night when it was windy. We where there during the recent tornados that hit Southern Illinois so I was a little apprehensive when I arrived and found a note on my bed with ear plugs but the sounds of the swaying never really bothered me and didn't keep me up. The pool and the gym were a great way to blow off some steam at the end of the day as was the steam room. The Gym was big enough that I never felt crowded. The address is perfect as well. I would strongly recommend this hotel to all business travelers.

Room Tip: Get a corner room above the 40th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank carrmug
Dear carrmug,

I am delighted you chose to stay with us while in Chicago on business, and glad your stay was wonderful in every way. Karen, Linnea and the entire team were just as happy to read your kind comments in appreciation of their service.

I am also very pleased that you will recommend us to business travelers and thank you for your review. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I visited the Four Seasons Chicago again this past weekend. We visit every year for our anniversary. As always, we received stellar care that was delivered with professionalism and friendliness.

Our experience with check-in has always been wonderful. It is very quick.

The room was beautiful and stocked with plenty of down pillows, which is always a concern of mine. Also, the room was completely quiet.

The bathroom products are still by L'Occitane, which I love.

We spent time in the gym, which is large and has plenty of exercise equipment.

For the first time, we used the services of one of the concierges. We wanted to go to RL restaurant, but could not get reservations. Well, one of the concierges worked some magic and got us in for a 12:00 reservation.

We will be at the Four Seasons again this year, and know that we can count on the hotel to be everything that we expect.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ParisKat,

I am very pleased to read we continue to provide the service you have come to expect of us and glad your anniversary stay was excellent. Thank you for your review and wonderful feedback about your stay, our staff and service.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Every aspect of our stay exceeded our expectations. The staff was immensely helpful-- the front desk, the spa and pool, housekeeping and room service. The facility was well maintained. We had a corner room which face the lake and it was truly a beautiful view facing east and north. It was a treat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear jane k,
I am thrilled to learn we exceeded your expectations in every aspect of your stay, and glad you enjoyed the room and its views. I appreciate your wonderful comments about the help staff provided, and thank you for your review.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My daughter and I were in Chicago last Friday, November 22, 2013. We wanted to go somewhere really nice for lunch, so since we were at Bloomimgdales we thought it might be fun to go to the Four Seasons.
When we arrived at the Maitre D's desk at the restaurant in the Lobby, the woman on duty did not even look at us or acknowledge that we were there. She was on the phone. We looked at the menu and decided to try it. She still did not say anything to us even though she was no longer on the telephone. I said "Should we just go in?" She picked up two menus and motioned for us to follow. She did not smile or even try to be friendly or accomodating. I felt as if we were an annoyance. She only frowned and seemed irritated.
The restaurant has been redecorated in a very cold manner. It lacks warmth and depth. Numerous large monochromatic ivory pillar candles obscure what looks like ivory toned Charles Gracie hand painted wallpaper panels in the niches at either end of the windowed section.
We ordered the Cobb with Avocado Crème and the Parmesan Lavasch. The Parmesan Lavache came out hanging like squashed road kill on a hook. The salad was extremely creamy. I will say our waitress was nice. She was the only friendly person in the place.
After lunch my daughter and I immediately began to feel nauseated and dizzy. We both felt like we were going to throw up! There must have been something in the salad that was bad. Probably it was the dressing. We fought it off and went into the little mall to try to find a ginger ale. Luckily there is a little bar attached to an Italian restaurant and we found our ginger ales. (In case you ever need a ginger ale when you are there that is where to find one.)
The sick and dizzy feeling lasted all afternoon.
I go to Chicago often and I have enjoyed the Four Seasons Spa, but I will never go back there to eat!
Susan

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Susan B
Dear Susan B,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry about the multiple lapses in service and regret your disappointment with the food at the Restaurant and the inconveniences you and your daughter experienced. Please be assured we take your feedback seriously, as it an opportunity to make improvements. Our Assistant Director of Food, Mr. Kaiser would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly about your experience and can be reached at 312-649-2301.

I am also thrilled you to read you have enjoyed our Spa, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 November 2013

As soon as we pulled in, the people started treating us like royalty. The service was extraudinary, the room was beautiful and the view from our room was the best. I don't know if we could find a better hotel than this one. Both the wife and I had 80 minute massages that were to die for.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ChicagoFS, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear jim52595,

I am very pleased your stay was better than you expected, and glad to learn of the extraordinary service staff provided. I am happy you enjoyed the guest room, views, and the couples massage. I look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your review.