“Very Pleased with Affinia”

Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #74 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 16 December 2007

We just returned from 3 nights at the Affinia and were very pleased with our stay. We used the $99 Travelzoo deal, which included parking (a $40 value). I doublt if I'll ever see a deal like that again in as nice a hotel as the Affinia with such a great location.

We had a room with 2 doubles. It wasn't the Jr. Suite, but was very large, as was the bathroom. Everything was new, clean, and we had excellent maid service. I had asked for a higher floor, but we had room 301, which is right above the lobby. They said we could switch, but I decided to try it, as it would be easy to get in and out of, with no elevator delays. It was actually right across from the elevator and we NEVER heard the elevator! The view was great and only heard a litle hammering on Friday morning at 8:30. I would gladly stay in this room again! Staff was very friendly and courteous. THANK YOU TO GRAHAM at the front desk who always spoke to us by name when we came or left.

Yes, the lobby is just a hallway with the checkin window right now, but for $99/night-who cares!!

The location was PERFECT for shopping and we will definitely be back!
Summer

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Summer05
There are newer reviews for Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed 14 December 2007

The only thing preventing this review from being excellent is the construction. Although I did not hear any of it while in my room, the "lobby" is tiny and there is no room service. Otherwise, this was an excellent hotel. The rooms are large with a comfortable bed and large bathroom. The decor is very modern. The room was clean and the staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. Once the construction is done, i think this will be an outstanding hotel all-around.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank lel7176
Reviewed 12 December 2007

Our stay at the Affinia Chicago became one of the highlights of our trip to Chicago. The staff were exceptionally professional, friendly, comfortably interactive, and made us feel like we were special guests. We brought our six-year-old boy with us, and the staff always remembered his name, asked him about his adventures, and had water and snacks available on our departures and returns.

Our room was on the 25th floor looking south, and at night the view was mesmerizing. The room was unusual in that the entry, desk, bathroom and bar area were 3 steps above the sleeping area. It sounds strange, but ended up being a very elegant space because of it. The condition of the room was great, the bedding was luxurious to feel and aesthetically crisp. There was a brand new large flat screen television, but with the view we had out the window, we tended to to keep it turned off.

The location of the Affinia could hardly be better for those wanting to stay downtown north of the river. We were 1 1/2 block from Water Tower Place, and had every convenience surrounding us.

We were fortunate in that we had found a terrific rate online (I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to stay right downtown without spending a fortune.) I thought I had been very intrepid in my online sleuthing, but afterward realized that a link to the same offer was being advertized on the Affinia's own reservations web-page! For what we got, it was an absolute steal. I had paid over 30% more to stay at a different nearby hotel the night before where the room was depressing, and the staff did not make us feel comfortable.

The hotel is currently under remodel, so the interim 'lobby' is a bit tight, and their restaurant and gym are not yet opened. Those are the only caveats, and little ones at that. We would love to return once the hotel is complete. If it even equals our recent experience, we will be thrilled once again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2007

The great rate and location brought this hotel to my attention. I made reservations for three couples (we were celebrating my sister-in-laws B-day). The staff couldn't have been more accommodating - someone forgot shaving cream, we needed ice, we needed directions, we needed recommmendations, we got it all! We knew the hotel was under rennovation, it didn't matter because the rooms were complete and places to eat, drink & shop are just around the corner. We all look forward to coming back when rennovations are complete if not sooner. Sonja from Crown Point, IN

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 10 December 2007

Couple things to understand, the hotel is in the process of renovation, and we received a great rate. When we arrived we found the lobby under construction. Temporary walls were in place making the lobby basically a hallway, and very tight. If someone was at the front desk, they would need to move a bit to let someone toting a suitcase by. Check in was smooth however and the staff, front desk, bell staff were friendly and helpful.

Most everything negative I have to say, can be blamed on the renovation and the price we paid more than made up for these things, with one exception. They have one elevator servicing the first 7 floors; I never set foot in it. They have two servicing the other 20 plus floors. They are very small and very slow. We spent quite a bit of time waiting for them especially when coming down from the 27th floor. An example, when checking out we had 4 people, 2 suitcases and 4 shopping bags, and there was no more room, none. I would assume these are going to be the permanent elevators, and will most likely be problematic for them in the future. Also, there didn’t seem to be a service elevator as bellmen and other employees were using these elevators.

The room. We did have a problem with the keys, after many tries the door unlocked. This happened each time we used it over our stay. Our friends had the same problem and in fact had to have someone come up and unlock the door twice. (We stayed at the Shelburne Murray Hill also an Affinia hotel in NYC and our two complaints there were also small slow elevators and keys) The room its self was very nice. It was on the small side, but the layout made it seem bigger. The entry, closet, counter w/coffee and fridge area, and bathroom are on one level and the bed, desk, drawers and flat screen TV are three steps down. It gave the room a ‘bigger feel”. The bath had a tub/shower combo, one sink, and a small separate make up area (no stool to sit on there however and made it somewhat unusable. I assume this will be addressed as completion nears) There was also an iron and ironing board, and believe it or not an electrical socket in a convenient place to use them.

Location is on Superior St. directly behind Neiman Marcus. That is nearly in the center of North Michigan. Also, less than two blocks directly south is a Corner Bakery, which we used for breakfast and lattes. Superior St. is a quiet, seldom (comparably) used street. Combined with being on the 27th floor we didn’t here any street noise. But I must say we heard sirens all through the night. I think there is a fair amount of ambulances that use the street a block to the south of Superior (hospital), and there may be a fire house station, I’m guessing to the north and or east.

We stayed here for $99 a night with free parking. When they get finished and work a few bugs out, we’ll never see that price again. Overall, even with a few inconveniences we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rono
Reviewed 7 December 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Affinia Chicago. We were pleased to find that it was located just a block from the Magnificent Mile. When I originally looked at their website the pictures were beautiful and the rooms looked great. We found an inexpensive rate online and decided to go for it.

I did understand that the hotel was under renovation, however, I was not prepared for what we saw when we arrived. The lobby (if you can call it that) is dismal and cramped and you must squeeze past the desk to get to the elevator. The hotel staff leaves much to be desired. They seemed to lack the confidence to even give directions or answer a simple question. We asked them about restaurants, directions, sight-seeing...basically the typical things you would assume the "consierge" would be able to help you with...but to no avail. We were answered with a "deer in headlights" look.

One of the bellman (whom I won't name) was actually a little creepy. When I checked into the hotel he wouldn't get out of the room. He brought the bags in one by one, very slowly. He stayed for about 15 minutes talking to me about nonsense and asking me personal questions. It was very uncomfortable. While we were there for the weekend the elevator went out twice and no one seemed to know what to do or who to call. Luckily we were only on the 4th floor. The stairwell, however, looked like something in a horror film...filty, with grafitti and nasty drawings.

There was a letter in the room that apologized for the construction and assured us that it would strictly be from 8am-4:30 pm, however, you can here the sound of hammers and power tools bright and early at 7 am...maybe 6:45 am if you're lucky.

When we were ready to check out, the staff almost charged us with another family's room & charged our room & parking to the wrong credit card. Overall, the experience was lackluster. Cheap room...good location; terrible , unprofessional staff with bad attitudes and minimal qualifications. Thumbs down.

On a positive note (ha!), Gino's East, the restaurant next door has fantastic pizza.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank wanderer9999
urbanclub1, General Manager at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2007

Dear wanderer9999,

I am writing to thank you for taking the time to share your past visit at the Affinia Chicago Hotel. I would like to apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered while staying in our hotel. I have reviewed your concerns with my management staff to ensure that this is not repeated and the appropriate training is in place for the staff. It is important that each interaction with our guests is professional. The unprofessional demeanor you encountered with my staff is not indicative of the high level of service or culture of Affinia hotels that our guests experience.

Since our purchase of the hotel in April 2006 we have been working diligently implementing Affinia standards as well as a complete renovation of the hotel. As you experienced, we are the midst of a multi-million dollar renovation resulting in a complete transformation of the hotel into one of Chicago’s premier destinations. The renovation process includes all new guestrooms, a completely and enlarged lobby, new food and beverage outlets featuring famed chef Marcus Samuelsson and a state of the art fitness center. Customer service is of great importance to us at The Affinia Chicago and I thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Please contact me directly at 312.787.6000 ext 3600 to discuss your experiences further. We at The Affinia Chicago look forward to the opportunity to prove to you when your travels bring you back to Chicago that we truly value each and every guest experience.

Best Regards,

Tom Brady
Affinia Chicago Hotel
tbrady@affinia.com

Reviewed 5 December 2007

A colleague and I stayed at the Affinia Chicago on business just because of the reduced price during their remodel. The rooms look great, the price was the best I've seen in Chicago in ages, and the staff was very friendly. The man at the door even remembered my name on our second day. There was some construction noise in the morning, but nothing too early or too major. Very comfortable beds and Aveda bath products, which I love. Great deal for such a great location on the Magnificent Mile. We'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business