“Cool, clean, convenient, comfortable!”

Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #76 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
San Diego, California
“Cool, clean, convenient, comfortable!”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We arrived in CHI this summer during the 100 degree heat wave that wouldn't break. Within moments of arriving at the Affinia, the car hop was out to park our car (Trust me, pay the fee to have them park your car--quick and friendly service is so worth it!). I have
stayed at a variety of places around CHI town over the years both as a tourist and on business, but the Affinia has become my favorite. Once in the lobby, we relaxed, after the frazzled drive in from Ann Arbor, MI. Check-in was a breeze, and within minutes, we were in our modern, clean, zen-like, suite. It felt more like coming home than to an impersonal hotel room. I have also stayed at this hotel alone, and whether you are in a standard room, or in a larger suite, the bathroom has plenty of space and is well-organized to accommodate your things. Part of the amenities are nice Philosophy products. If you've forgotten something though, they can get it for you. The bedding and pillows (choose from the pillow menu) are super comfortable, fresh and hypoallergenic, and each room has a sitting area, with comfy chairs or a sofa. What's so nice about this hotel is that it's peaceful, central, yet just a skip off the main fray of MI avenue, still accessible to everything on foot--the lake, Miracle Mile shopping, and my favorite, the Museum of Contemporary Art, just around the corner. Every Tuesday in front of the museum from late Spring to Fall is a lovely Farmer's Market, full of flowers, fresh produce, and plenty of grab-and-go cuisine. Although never a lack of things to do in this city, I recommend the jazz concerts at aforementioned museum. Schedule can be found online, or just ask the concierge. The concierge at the Affinia, is extremely helpful and the staff make you truly feel like welcomed guests, so if you need anything from directions, maps, an extra pillow or spa service, don't be afraid to ask. It's very common to see guests coming in the front door with bags and packages from afternoon-long shopping sprees along Michigan Avenue, If you need help navigating to your room with packages, the bell hop is on it. You are within blocks of some wonderful restaurants, and hoppin' Gino's East Pizza is next door, but I also recommend the C-view restaurant right at the Affinia-- wonderful fresh and beautifully presented cuisine. This under-stated boutique hotel has it all. In my experience, the Affinia name is one you can rely onI I have also stayed at Affinia Gardens in NYC, and had an excellent experience there as well. Enjoy Chicago. It's a great city!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oonda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We have just returned from a trip to Chicago staying at the Affinia. Had to write and say what a fantastic hotel this is. Location was perfect just off the Magnificent Mile and the quality and staff were great. One special mention is for Annie one of the receptionists, she was really helpful, and very friendly. Thank you Annie for making our stay special

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and they put us on 27th floor which was great
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I traveled to Chicago with three girlfriends to celebrate a milestone birthday. None of us had ever been to Chicago before, but I have had previous experiences staying with Affinia in New York, so decided that would be a good place to start. I never had to look anywhere else, because the hotel had exactly what we needed: a suite with two king beds, ensuring that all four of us would have a good night's rest and plenty of room to spread out.

The room was enormous, as was the bathroom. My only complaints were that the bathroom, while luxe and containing one of the most amazing showers I've ever seen, did not have a tub, which two of us could have used for soaking some sore muscles. We also discovered on the first morning that the suite was only set up for two guests - there were not enough towels, glasses, coffee cups, etc.., and the pillows we had chosen from the pillow menu when making reservations had not been placed in the room. A stop at the front desk took care of the shortage issues, and we had excellent service and amenities for the rest of our stay.

One day it poured buckets of rain outside, so we were delighted to discover you could borrow umbrellas from the front desk.

The location was perfect for newbies wanting to explore the downtown core of Chicago - we walked to many of our destinations, and when we needed a taxi, they were easy to get right in front of the hotel. We were on the 7th floor, in the front, and had absolutely no issues with noise from the street below.

Affinia is my favorite chain, and I can't wait to revisit Affinia Chicago in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
AffiniaChicago, General Manager at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Dear plays88keys, First and foremost, Happy Birthday! We greatly appreciate your brand loyalty to Affinia hotels; I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here as well. Thanks for complimenting the location and generous size of our large guestrooms. I will pass along your compliments on our service to my team. I wish we could have controlled the rain, but here's to hoping your next trip to Chicago is sunny! Claudia Eggspuhler, General Manager
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Just got back from a one night stay at the Affinia Chicago Hotel and am happy to report that it was a great hotel in a very convenient location. Check in was flawless and I was up to my room on the 21st floor within minutes. It was nice to be in a smaller hotel without the chaos of the large convention oriented hotels. Room was very clean and nicely appointed. Large bathroom and plenty of space to store your belongings! Be sure to check out the roof top bar!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Manchester
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at the Affinia Chicago with my wife for 5 nights at the end of a road trip and couldn't have asked for a better place to end 3 weeks in the southern states.

The staff...were very helpful from the moment we checked in to the when we checked out. Not just the reception staff but the door men were very friendly and recommending places to eat and things to see as well.

The room...was huge! We had a 1 bed studio which had a raised office area, a sunken lounge with sofa-bed and reclining chair, etc and then a king bed, a dressing area and a nice bathroom. We did have a problem with water leaking through the ceiling from the room above and we got moved from the 16th floor to the 25th floor.

The location...perfect! Just off the Magnificent Mile and next to Gino's Pizza (which you have to try). It is easy to get either the CTA (El) which is a couple of blocks away on chicago or the bus which can be picked up on the magnificent mile to most places.

Overall...excellent staff, excellent room and excellent location!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed here for two nights on a weekend trip, chose the hotel based on two good stays at the Affinia Gardens NYC. The staff at the front desk on check-in--Peter and Simon--were the most friendly and helpful staff I've met so far in my travels. When they heard it was my first trip to Chicago they loaded me up with maps, advice on what to see based on my interests, and in the evenings when I returned the hotel they'd ask how my day was and what I saw. Very genuine and helpful. I booked the smallest room type, but was told on check-in that there was an issue and that I would be upgraded to a suite--exciting! The room was spotless and nicely decorated--photos of Chicago landmarks on the walls, a cool burnt orange-y wall covering in the bathroom that made the room glow peachy-pink. Affinia hotels win for highest density of electrical outlets in a room (e.g. 10 outlets in a 10 ft sq area around the bed) and most mirrors in a room--very practical. An assortment of Philosophy toiletries are provided, they are: green tea lotion (thick, nice as hand lotion), lime blossom shampoo and body soap, and blackberry musk conditioner (smells good). My room at the front of the hotel overlooked Superior and St Clair and was very quiet at night and there were controls in the room to adjust the room temperature precisely. There's a business center on the 2nd floor with 2 computers where you can print your boarding pass. No free wifi, alas. The location is great--about 3 blocks from the Chicago-Red Line station and half a block from Michigan Avenue. Gino's East pizza is right next door. Overall, I was very happy with my stay and would return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
AffiniaChicago, General Manager at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Dear violetvale, First and foremost, thanks for your brand loyalty. We much appreciate it and glad your stay is comfortable when choosing Affinia Hotels. Thanks for complimenting our friendly associates, I'll be sure to share your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed the size of our large guestrooms and location. If you didn't this time, next stay be sure to mention to our front desk that you're heading to Gino's, we have passes to allow you to cut the line in half and free appetizer. I look forward to welcoming you back, Claudia Eggspuhler, General Manager
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I went with my best friend and a large group of girls to the Affinia in Chicago. The rooms were spacious (we had four girls to a room). The bathrooms were well adorned and had a large enough mirror and counter area for two or three girls to get ready at once. The staff was great, the brought a mini fridge up for us to store our "essentials" in. The beds were very comfy and large enough for two. The lobby area is amazing and we even saw Coolio one day! The location is down a side street off of Michigan, so you are close to restuarants, shopping and bars. It was never hard for us to get a cab, as the doormen were extremely ready and willing to run to Michigan Ave. and get us a cab. Overall great stay and the bride to be had an amazing time!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank WaywardWander9
Dear beachchick07, Thanks for taking the time to share about your experience at the Affinia Chicago. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the generous size of our guestrooms and comfy beds. I'll be sure to pass along your gratitude to our bellmen. Congrats to your friend on her wedding! Please keep us in mind when booking future trips to Chicago, Claudia Eggspuhler, General Manager