“Terrific Hotel!”

Cambria Hotel & Suites Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #72 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 23 April 2008

Thanks to everyone who sent in reviews; it really helped me in choosing this hotel. As others have recently noted, the hotel remodel is incomplete but once done, it will be a terrific hotel. The staff was very nice, the rooms immaculate and cheery, and the bathroom had really nice Aveda products. The shower was wonderful, too!
Thank you, Affinia Hotel, for making my girls getaway weekend really special.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 April 2008

My husband and I just got back from a one night stay at the super lovely Affinia in Chicago. From the moment we arrived, the hotel was a true joy. The construction is still happening as mentioned below, but it absolutely did not affect our stay. The room was beautiful. We booked through the Travelzoo promotion so we got a great rate, and they even upgraded us to a suite!

The nicest part of our stay was the staff. Graham, Marisol, Pedro, Christine and the parking valet (who's name I can't recall) were all extremely helpful, very nice and a real pleasure to do business with! Believe it all, it is all true!

The location is Great too!

I deffinately will recommend this hotel to friend and family.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 21 April 2008

We booked our stay in March through Travelzoo like so many other reviewers. Because of the great deal, we were a little wary about the state of the hotel during construction. That wariness turned out to be completely unnecessary! The entrance to the hotel IS a mess - there is scaffolding, uneven sidewalks, mud, wet paint in the lobby, etc., but this really didn't make any difference to my husband or me. The only annoying thing about the construction was that we were forced to use two separate sets of slooow elevators every time we went to our room. Otherwise, the price and the newly remodeled rooms were definitely worth the cost of walking through a little construction in the entrance.

The rooms are all updated with a very clean and stylish feel to them. We stayed in the studio suite, which was very spacious and very comfortable. The flat panel TV that swivels around from bedroom to living room definitely kept my husband entertained for a while. The view from our room - on the 19th floor I think - was a great view right down a street that runs parallel to Mich Ave.

The fact that the restaurant and bar aren't open made no difference to us whatsoever. There are tons of restaurants extremely close nearby, and if you want room service, they provide all the rooms with a menu from a delivery service for area restaurants. Also, the lobby was always stocked with complimentary bottles of water and snacks.

The location cannot be beat - it is about a block away from Michigan Ave, and about 1/2 a block to Neiman-Marcus and Sak's. It's literally right in the middle of everything.

Also, every single employee of the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. We are not the typical guests because we were in town visiting several friends, and often visit Chicago, so we didn't need as many recommendations about getting to Navy Pier, etc., but if you do need that information, they are very knowledgeable and willing to offer tips.

We loved our stay so much that I convinced my sister to book the hotel a few weeks later, and she also was extremely satisfied. Once the new restaurant and rooftop bar are opened, this hotel is going to be one of the best deals in Chicago.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank babina8
Reviewed 19 April 2008

We've just returned from a two night stay at the Affinia Chicago and our visit was delightful. Thanks to tripadvisor reviews we were prepared for the major construction work on the facade and entrance..it was a mess. And the hotel restaurant and bar remain incomplete and unavailable. Even parts of the lobby had "wet paint" stickers. All these things could have made for a disappointing stay.

Not so!! Although we arrived very early in the day our suite was ready along with a most warm and gracious greeting from the front desk staff. After just a few minutes we felt like we were "at home." The suite on the 25th floor, with a fab view along a wall of windows, was sparkling fresh and clean. The bathroom lighting was outstanding and led to my bride of nearly 50 years saying that it made her look younger...she was right! Everything in and about the room was "like-new" and very stylish. As a visitor we appreciated the very convenient location just a few steps from the Magnificient Mile and all of its ambiance.

Thanks to a dedicated and gracious staff, a fantastic location, and chic decorating elements, this hotel can and will be our future hotel of choice in Chicago. The stay was short..but sweet.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank freetoroam
Reviewed 15 April 2008

My fiance and stayed at the Affinia Chicago from 4/4/08 to 4/8/08. I had booked a Travelzoo special for $99/night including free valet parking, so this was a great deal to start.

First off, some part of the lobby and the sidewalk in front of the hotel were undergoing renovation as there is scaffolding setup in front. This does not make for a pretty sight, but the front desk staff/valet/housekeeping staff are all super friendly and helpful. We checked in a little early, and yes, they gave us a nice room facing south on a high floor.

The room was immaculate, clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom, as others have pointed out, was stunning as well in red wall color. There was a small fridge, nice desk, and great LCD TV. We had a nice quiet room, but THIS WAS OUR FIRST TIME TO CHICAGO, and even as high as we were, you could hear the fire department/ambulance sirens going off what seemed to be every couple hours or so.

We especially loved the location. You are literally a 1/2 block away from Michigan Ave/Miracle Mile, and you are basically right in the center of it all. Gino's East pizza is literally 15 steps from the front door of the hotel, and you have Giordano's pizza just 2 blocks away. WE WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND A THAI PLACE basically on Rush street called The Silver Spoon... the prices were very reasonable, and their Pad Talay (seafood mix) and drinks were awesome.

The valet service was pretty efficient, just have to call about 10 minutes before leaving your hotel room, and it was always there waiting for us. The bus stops and subway are also within pretty close walking distance.

NOTE: We took a free trolley down to Navy Pier off of MIchigan Ave, but you literally could walk to Navy Pier... maybe a good 20-25 minute walk, but the weather was nice, and it was a nice walk back to the hotel. We even walked to the Chicago Art Museum... it is not THAT far... again, maybe a good 25 minute walk... you can always take the bus back ($2/one-way).

The restaurant/bar were not opened yet when we there, but who cares!~ There are so many places to eat/drink nearby. Besides, we didn't spend too much time in our room anyways, but when we were there, it was an extremely comfortable and CLEAN place to stay.

We highly, highly recommend this little gem of a hotel... if we ever go back to Chicago, I would definitely stay at this place.. especially if you get a great Travelzoo.com rate (click on Chicago under Hotels at their website to see what's available). When all of the renovations are done, and the restaurant/bar are open, this will definitely be a terrific place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dkinla
Reviewed 15 April 2008

Prior to booking my 3 night stay at the Affinia Chicago, I was a little hesitant about the Affinia, so I did my research to make sure that my Incredibly low rate that I found on Travel Zoo was not too good to be true. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised!! The guest rooms have just been re-done to look modern, chic and pristine. The rooms and bathrooms are VERY spacious and comfortable!! The staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating, better service then I have experienced in any 5 star hotel I have stayed at in the past. The location is in the middle of Michigan ave. and the major downtown attractions, perfect for first timers to Chicago (like myself). Every request was fulfilled and every expectation surpassed!! Although this chic, urban, boutique hotel does not include resort style amenities (and yes the lobby is still under construction) I didn't even notice these shortcomings because I was so impressed with the rooms, service and PERFECT location!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank LHR7
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Recently my daughter and I stayed for a week at the Affinia in Chicago. I booked it after reading the glowing reviews and I was not disappointed! The location is excellent, close to Michigan Ave and only a few blocks to the subway station. The room was lovely. Tastefully decorated and very comfortable. We even had a recliner in our living area! The TV was a flatscreen and could be swiveled so we could see it from the bed or the living area, very clever. We really appreciated the makeup station outside the bathroom, it even came equipped with a makeup mirror, nice touch. The beds were comfortable and housekeeping was perfect. They changed our sheets every day and we had no problem getting enough towels! The hotel staff was exceptionally friendly. Every single one made us feel welcome and important. They even helped us navigate the CTA by printing us routes to our destination. One very big plus was that there are not a lot of rooms on each floor so it is nice and quiet. I felt as if I was the only one staying here despite the fact that the lobby was busy and I knew differently.

Construction. I have to admit that the lobby construction did not inconvenience me in the slightest. That being said, I do have some suggestions to how it might have been better presented. I would have temporarily painted the area out side the elevators going to the lobby. The walls looked dingy and unimpressive; not at all compatible with the rooms. I would also have installed temporary baseboards to give the hotel a more polished look, even if just for a short time. Also, I would never have posted signs on computer paper, writen in marker and affixed to the walls with tape; it looked tacky. Instead, I would have custom made temporary signs to indicate directions to the lobby. These signs are inexpensive, easy to obtain, and they would have looked much more professional than the hand made signage. Finally, I would suggest that doors be shut to unfinished areas. It looked shabby to walk by. If I wasn't a guest, and was taking a quick peek, I would not be inclined to book a room.

Finally, I have some suggestions regarding the lack of restaurant and the no weclome drink which was promised. It is completely understandable that give the construction, the hotel could not offer its daily breakfast spread. I do feel that some attempt should have been made to counteract that inconvenience. Muffins and juice somewhere? Also, a welcome 1/2 bottle of wine would be nice with a letter apologizing for any inconvenience. The in room information is old and refers to a now non-existant pool. I would update that information AS SOON as the rooms were completed. I would not have allowed the rooms to be used until everything in the room was finished. I come from the hospitality field and the preceeding comments are details I would have made to make the experience even better than it already was!

By all means though, stay at the Affinia. It was a great experience and I will return here again, hopefully soon!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family