“Beware of the Sir Charges”

Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #74 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
White Lake, MI.
“Beware of the Sir Charges”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

Apart from the location, great, but it stops there. Upon check-in, I was informed I would have a queen bed. I asked for a king size bed, and I was told there would be a charge for going up to a king. GIVE ME A BREAK, a surcharge for going from a queen to a king. When I got up to the room, it was like a oven. I could not get the air to work and needed to call twice before getting service. Everything in the room had a charge associated to it, even down to the coffee, $1.00. Now what's up with that? I was very disappointed in the size of the bathroom. Very small. I have stayed there twice and with so many other options, I feel this will be my last.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
AffiniaChicagoGM, Director of Operations at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 25 April 2010
Dear Buffed112859,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Chicago. We apologize for the inconveniences that we have caused you during your stay, and I can guarantee you that we addressed your concerns with our teams.

If you do place your confidence in us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

My stay at the Affinia was perfect.
At check-in the front desk person was great and throughout my stay, the staff were very helpful. The room was clean and well laid-out.
Only two blocks from the Red Line.
I would definitely stay here again.

Kevin

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank seatsale
Dear seatsale,

Thank you very much for your positive comments on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel at home here in Chicago. We look forward having you again in our hotel.

michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

I was disappointed in the hotel . It did not feel as art deco as I thought it would be . It felt as if it was designed by somone using cheap material and labor. My 1st room had a moldy smell and was small and had no bathtub. I arrived early and was given the room. I ask for another room and was serviced promptly when I told them I was extremely tired. The 2cd room was much better; it was on the 16th floor . Maybe the higher rooms are better. I was surprised to have to pay for coffee and tea.NO! NO!NO! There was a nice selection of snack to purchase in the room. This is good because there is no gift shop. I had to call the front desk for ice which was promptly delivered. I am used to the ice machine and prefer them. The location of the hotel is great. The Bellman were all so pleasant . I did not see the concierge at the desk but the front desk people helped me. When I arrived I did feel tension at the desk. It may have been because it was busy. The front desk people were very pleasant each time I came down. I probably will not return but will recommend the hotel to others but tell them the good and no so good. The price was good also. The bed and pillows were incredible. I rested quite well.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Dear contented60,

Thank you for staying with us during this month's stay in Chicago. We are glad that our staff served you promptly and also appreciate your constructive feedback regarding your visit.
If you choose to select us again during your next visit to Chicago, please do contact me directly.

Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

We stayed at the Affinia Chicago Hotel in March 2010 for 4 days. I reserved my room through Hotwire, so I couldn't choose my hotel. Anyway, I read all the TripAdvisor reviews before going and it's interesting that the hotel never took any action for the bad reviews. They still charge for coffee and this is what customers are saying over and over again. Hello management, listen to your customers! How would you feel if you come home and see a $2 charge on your credit card for in-room coffee? The reception desk staff didn't try to find another room for us and gave us a room with two tiny beds, even though the hotel wasn't completely booked. Had to pay $10.00 for Internet everyday and the hotel didn't have free WiFi even in the lobby area which most hotels now a days have. Overall, I got a very cheap feeling and didn't feel appreciated. On the positive side, the bellman, concierge and other front-line support staff (other than reception desk) were very friendly. The location is also quite nice. I think the managements view is hey we're doing OK, so why try to go to the next level by increasing our cost. I understand that, but I'm also not going to stay here next time, unless I get a super deal through on-line travel sites.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear ManzoorMissouri,

Thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your positive comments on our staff and are looking into the items that caused your stay to be less satisfied as expected. We do hope to see you again at the Affinia Chicago Hotel.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Bring ear plugs and you will be fine! It is noisy outside and the walls are paper thin, but apart from that it is fine. Good location, huge rooms, fine service, some extras like a yoga kit delivered to your room - and I paid 60 dollars per night through Expedia! That is good value! I

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

My wife and I attended the SAMA(Society of American Mosaic Artists) in Chicago and decided to stay in downtown Chicago. We arranged our stay at the Affinia Chicago because of the price and location. We live in the Western suburbs and thought driving and parking would be the same as the stay.

We took the train in and arrived at the hotel at 11:00 and the room was ready. The room was large, butttttt!!!! the view was that of the loading dock with the garbage truck pickup. We paid for an upgrade and got a large dimly lit room with the sound of the garbage trucks. It wasn't all that bad, but unexpected.

Affinia should only offer these rooms at a discount and not charge an upgrade fee. Affinia should also warn the customer at checkin that the room has absolutely no view and is located above the dock.

I would not recommend this hotel because of this problem that really cannot be corrected.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
AffiniaChicagoGM, Director of Operations at Cambria Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 29 March 2010
Dear Beewacker,

Thank you for your recent stay at our Affinia Chicago Hotel. We are happy to see that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and location of the hotel. We do understand your frustrations in regards to the urban noise factor, and do apologize for this.
We do look forward to see you again in the near future.

smith6950
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

Traveled to Chicago with my 6 year old daughter, her friend and mom for an American Girl weekend. The hotel is 2 blocks from the AG store, in the middle of Michigan Ave, and next right to Gino East Pizza (Excellent Chicago Style) - great location for what we were planning to do. The hotel was very clean, had very comfortable beds and was spacious compared to others I have stayed in Chicago. We had a freak accident at the hotel and the director/ staff went above and beyond to make our stay a positive experience. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Dear smith6050,

I am glad to see that we were able to satisfy all your needs during your recent stay with us. Our staff was delighted to assist you while you were here, and is looking forward welcoming you and your family again.