“Nice rooms but decent staff is lacking...”

Cambria Hotel & Suites Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #71 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Stayed at the Affinia for 4 days while vacationing with my boyfriend in Chicago. Location was great and the rooms were nice (except for the pair of shoes and jelly beans left in the closet by the previous guests). Now for a few negatives: the hotel is located across the street from a hospital so there are ambulances with sirens blaring all day and night, we received a wake-up call at 6 AM that we did not ask for so that ruined our "sleeping in" plans and a maid who was on her cell phone texting dropped off a robe we did not ask for then came back 5 minutes later and asked for it back! The staff was helpful when giving us directions or suggestions for places to go - they were however a little snooty and it seemed that they looked down on us as we were not all dressed up like some of the other guests. For that reason alone I do not think I would stay there again - I paid the same as everyone else to stay there so why treat me different?!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
AffiniaChicagoGM, Director of Operations at Cambria Hotel & Suites Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2010

Dear WiscTravel,

Thank you very much for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad that our location and room worked very well for you, but we do apologize for the mishaps regarding our staff and your requests. We have addressed these issues and can guarantee you that these items were isolated issues. If you do choose to stay in Chicago again, please do contact me directly.

Warm Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,422)

Reviewed 13 April 2010

Excellent location in walking distance to Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier. Bus at the end of the street took you to other attractions. Clean and spacious room with 2 queen beds. Friendly staff in particular guys on door. Only minus would be that you had to pay for internet access and tea/coffee in the room but that didn't spoil our time there.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family

Dear JLC1957,

Thank you very much for the great review here on TripAdvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that our staff and product exceeded your expectations. If your travels bring you back to our great city, please come see us again.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

For the full review and photos, please visit our site, TheVacationAdvisors.

The hotel is located on a quiet street just steps away from Chicago's famous Magnificent Mile shopping district and restaurants. For the active traveler, the hotel is also within a short walk or jog to Chicago's amazing lakefront jogging path. The metro is also fairly close and can be reached within a 10-minute walk.

The hotel and the rooms were spotless. From the moment we entered the shiny and sparkling hotel lobby, it was quite apparent that the hotel takes great pride in cleanliness. The staff is also well outfitted in professional and stylish uniforms.

The rooms are large and spacious, with large comfortable beds and a separate sitting area. The bathrooms are also very spacious. The room has everything possible to make your stay comfortable, from comfortable bedding, a large flat screen LCD TV, mini bar, sitting area/work space, high speed internet access and so on. We also had a beautiful view of the surrounding buildings from the comfort of our bed. The rooms are decorated with electric decor in calming contemporary colours. We can't say anything negative about the rooms. Overall, we found the room very comfortable which was perfect to come back to after a long day of sightseeing.

This hotel offers excellent value. We were not disappointed with our stay and can't find one negative thing to say about our experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple

Dear TheVacationAdvisors,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel and staff catered to all your needs during your visit.
We look forward seeing you soon at the Affinia Chciago Hotel.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

We are so glad we chose this hotel to stay for our first visit to Chicago! The front desk was pleasant and helpful. We stayed in a studio suite and it was wonderful, clean and very spacious. My mother and sister stayed in a guest room and it was just the right size for two people. Our bed was surprisingly very comfortable and we slept like babies. I read of complaints of noise and such but being from NYC we felt right at home. The hotel is not even a full block from The Magnificent Mile which was full of great shopping and the bus stop. It was a 15 minute walk to Navy Pier which has so many activities to choose from. The parking garage is across the street which was very convenient but @ 40 bucks a day I wish we didn't have a car. We kept our car in the garage and either took a cab or public transportation to places. Cab fares can get costly so we bought an all day CTA pass @ Walgreens around the corner and that made our getting around the city very easy. The hotel is right next door to Ginos East and down the street from Giordanos, in my opinion, Giordanos had the better deep dish pizza. If you don't feel like leaving your room both will deliver to your room. All in all, we had a great time in Chicago and staying here made the experience that more awesome! We can not wait to revisit Chicago and stay here again!

1  Thank bvil

Dear bvil,

Thank you so much for staying with us as well as your positive comments on TripAdvisor. We are proud of our staff and appreciate when our guests recognize our training efforts.
We look forward welcoming you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 7 April 2010

Apart from the location, great, but it stops there. Upon check-in, I was informed I would have a queen bed. I asked for a king size bed, and I was told there would be a charge for going up to a king. GIVE ME A BREAK, a surcharge for going from a queen to a king. When I got up to the room, it was like a oven. I could not get the air to work and needed to call twice before getting service. Everything in the room had a charge associated to it, even down to the coffee, $1.00. Now what's up with that? I was very disappointed in the size of the bathroom. Very small. I have stayed there twice and with so many other options, I feel this will be my last.

Dear Buffed112859,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Chicago. We apologize for the inconveniences that we have caused you during your stay, and I can guarantee you that we addressed your concerns with our teams.

If you do place your confidence in us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 6 April 2010

My stay at the Affinia was perfect.
At check-in the front desk person was great and throughout my stay, the staff were very helpful. The room was clean and well laid-out.
Only two blocks from the Red Line.
I would definitely stay here again.

Kevin

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank seatsale

Dear seatsale,

Thank you very much for your positive comments on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel at home here in Chicago. We look forward having you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 5 April 2010

I was disappointed in the hotel . It did not feel as art deco as I thought it would be . It felt as if it was designed by somone using cheap material and labor. My 1st room had a moldy smell and was small and had no bathtub. I arrived early and was given the room. I ask for another room and was serviced promptly when I told them I was extremely tired. The 2cd room was much better; it was on the 16th floor . Maybe the higher rooms are better. I was surprised to have to pay for coffee and tea.NO! NO!NO! There was a nice selection of snack to purchase in the room. This is good because there is no gift shop. I had to call the front desk for ice which was promptly delivered. I am used to the ice machine and prefer them. The location of the hotel is great. The Bellman were all so pleasant . I did not see the concierge at the desk but the front desk people helped me. When I arrived I did feel tension at the desk. It may have been because it was busy. The front desk people were very pleasant each time I came down. I probably will not return but will recommend the hotel to others but tell them the good and no so good. The price was good also. The bed and pillows were incredible. I rested quite well.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo

Dear contented60,

Thank you for staying with us during this month's stay in Chicago. We are glad that our staff served you promptly and also appreciate your constructive feedback regarding your visit.
If you choose to select us again during your next visit to Chicago, please do contact me directly.