“great place great staff”

The Whitehall Hotel
Ranked #80 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed at the Whitehall for 5 nights between the 14th and 19th march I was greated by friendly staff asked about a upgrade for a suite the young lass said that be an extra 40 a night a good deal for a jnr suite but on the 1st night at the hotel I passed kidney stones not good on the eve off saint patricks day in which I had an overnight hospital stay the staff at the hotel couldn't do enough to help they did a lot and I allways be greatfull and I will be back

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Russell A, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

We are so glad you enjoyed your recent stay at The Whitehall and are so pleased you found our staff most accommodating. We are sad to learn you had to miss St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago, instead spending it in the hospital. We hope you are on the mend and made a very quick recovery. Hurry back soon from “down under” to a great city and The Whitehall. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Warmest Regards

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The price might be a little high but considering its location and centrality to most of Downtown Chiacago's attractions - would definitely recommend it.

However, one advice - room only might be the best option. The restaurant may not be the best deal for the money you will spend plus it also gives an opportunity to try out some lovely restaurants in the neighbourhood!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MevanPeiris

Thank you for your very valued feedback. The Whitehall is in a perfect location, walking distance to many local attractions, fine dining and incredible shopping. While it sounds like the room alone is the option that works best for you, during your next visit, we hope you try out our authentic Chinese restaurant Mei’s Corner or our thin crust Neapolitan pizza at Fornetto Mei, and hope to change your mind. We realize you have many options in Chicago and appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to The Whitehall. Kind regards

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I recently stayed there for the first time and was very impressed. I was very pleased with the staff and their concern for our comfort. I love how close it is to the Magnificent Mile along with several shops and restaurant options within walking distance. Overall very pleased and plan to stay there for my next trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank amy m

We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay at The Whitehall. We are glad you were able to experience the warm hospitality of our Whitehall Staff and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. Best regards

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Whitehall regularly for many years. We love the hotel; and the staff are consistently friendly, efficient, and accommodating. I was recently so impressed with how well, Toni, at the front desk, went "above and beyond" to make my birthday special--the quality of a beautiful suite, assisting my husband with flowers, etc. She is the perfect person to be at the front desk as she is always friendly, helpful, and puts the customer first even if she has worked a very long day. The doormen and other staff also work hard to make this hotel such a success; I remember how much I appreciated how, Alex, the doorman, went out of his way to keep me from slipping on a snow-covered curb. We will not stay anywhere else in Chicago.

Room Tip: The beds and linens are fantastic! Bathrooms are very clean; housekeeping is great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

We are grateful as well to have Toni and Alex on our team. We are delighted that you chose to spend your birthday at The Whitehall and thrilled our team helped create such a memorable experience. On behalf of our entire staff, we look forward to welcoming you back for many happy birthdays to come. Warmest Regards

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Our party of three adults (mom, husband, myself) stayed for one night at The Whitehall Hotel the night of March 9th, as we were in Chicago to see a performance. The front desk was very professional at check-in. Our room had two comfy beds and was very clean. Pretty normal amenities, however no coffee/tea in room. We did not spend a lot of time in the room as we were out and about for the most. Entire hotel is non-smoking. At bed time, I started smelling cigarette smoke in our room. The smell progressed to a point that I called the front desk to complain. The hotel rep said she would contact their security team. Within an hour after my call, the cigarette smell had vanished. Whatever the security rep did solved the problem. I was certainly thankful, as I am not a fan of cigarette smoke. I would certainly return to stay at The Whitehall Hotel again. It was a pleasant stay and a great location near restaurants, shopping, & activities in Chicago.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Russell A, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Debsteryx: Thank you for writing a review of your stay with us. Occasionally we do have a guest who smokes in their room and our security team is able to address it with the guest and move such activity outdoors. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Thank you for selecting the Whitehall Hotel for your accommodations in Chicago. Best regards, Russ Abell

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Over the years I’ve stayed at numerous brand named hotel properties but never a norm to stay at non-brand names. However I was very intrigue by Orbitz when I saw The Whitehall Hotel (4 stars), its location and great price. My son and his fiancée were in town and I treated them to the room. My future daughter law checked in and encounters some delays which I had to ultimately come back in assist in her checking in. During that time the clerk was not as forthcoming in providing hotel hospitality services that I was accustomed in receiving (especially bearing in mind the location and this being a 4 star property). I will not go into full detail but our encounter with the front desk clerk I then asked for the MOD which at the time was the supervisor of front desk. Little did I know during the entire encounter with the front desk clerk the superior NEVER intervene but in fact stood there the entire time? Nonetheless I asked for the hotel mangers name/card and I was given the front desk manger card. I was told she too was the GM.

She was off the following say in which I was able to speak to another supervisor of the front desk. Initially he empathized with me and offered a credit for our stay but before our conversation ended he became very agitated and hung up the phone on me. I interned sent an e-mail to the FDM/GM which she e-mailed me back as well as we spoke. She too was extremely professional as well as showed a great deal of empathy for the poor service/treatment that was rendered to my family. Her gesture was that we come back so they could WOW us/make it up. However she said the property frown on just giving out flat credits/comp rooms so I needed to re-make and pay for the room myself. She said they would really go out the way/do something nice and again expressed her sincere apology. I found it odd that I would have to re-pay for them to WOW us and/or make up for our experienced mishap. Although it was my understanding that it too would be credited back. After setting everything up the following weekend my son and his fiancée returned without any problems during check in (this time). They shared with me the room was bigger and nice (I’m assuming a suite) but EVERYTHING in the room had locks on it? But being that it was a busy night vs low occupancy an upgrade to a suite was a good gesture. I asked him was there a welcome card in the room, cookies, flowers and/or fruit and he said no. I asked was it a gift card/coupon in the room for free dinner or breakfast and they said no.

Please bear in mind this is a 4 star property which sit right down the street from Four Seasons. Their return was supposed to be a WOW and I had to call and ask for the breakfast coupons. My son said in eating in the restaurant after getting their food it took over 30 minutes in getting his pancakes in which they just got their food to go. My son said the hotel overall was ok but nowhere near that of one deserving a 4 star rating! We checked in to The Whitehall for service and not a handout and had that been done this letter would have NEVER been written and if so it would have shared why their deemed as a 4 star property.

Everything I’ve shared here I shared with the FDM/GM and she said no the only credit I was getting was the one from the original night stay. “A bird in a hand is better than a bird in a bush!” So to make a long story short my family had to re-pay at a 4 star hotel to make us wow and that was far from the case!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CR_Garner
Russell A, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Mr. CR_Garner: My sincerest apologies for the issues you and your family experienced at the hotel, obviously our service and communication was not up to par. I understand that our Rooms Division Manager has/is working with you on the details and corrections. Let me just say that we hate to hear that we have not met expectations, and shall use your comments with the staff to improve our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience and best wishes for a fulfilling 2014. Best regards, Russ Abell

Reviewed 11 March 2014

When I first walked in the hotel, a young man at the desk was so very nice to me and gave me a lot of important information that I used Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then after I settled in, I got so overwhelmed with the beautiful bed with the fluffy pillows and wonderful sheets that I never left on Friday and slept for 12 hours.
Then the nice young man at the front desk told me about a in house dining area with great Chinese food. I had the best dinner there that night. My sister arrived on Saturday which was my actual birthday and we shopped to we dropped. But as much fun as it was shopping, our greatest experience was returning to the hotel and soaking in the wonderful bathtub and wearing those wonderful robes that the hotel provides. The bathroom looked like something out of a movie and of course I took pictures of it. There was a coach, several chairs, a fridge, tables, wifi, chargers for our phones and laptops and cameras and it was just the greatest thing ever. I want to thank my friend who arranged this experience for me because she made turning 60 the best birthday ever. My family thanks you as well. Michelle, you are the best ever. Whitehall needs hundreds more like you. Thanks for all your help during my 60th birthday.

Room Tip: The corner suites are wonderful. They are just like being at home in your own living room. Suite 190...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank OfficerGrandma

Dear OfficerGrandma: Congratulations on your 60th birthday, sounds like it was fun. Glad that we could be part of the festivities, will look forward to seeing you on the 65th!
Have a wonderful 60th year. Best regards, Russ Abell