“Great old-fashioned independent hotel”

The Whitehall Hotel
Ranked #78 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel looks like it came from the movies - old-fashioned planning and decoration (in a good sense), nice spacious rooms and convenient bathrooms.
I did not talk much to the staff so cannot rate them. The location is great - the Magnificent mile is just around a corner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Could not be happier with this hotel. The friendliest staff I have ever met. Great FREE coffee in the mornings with a nice lounge in which to enjoy it, too. The fitness center was equipped with a cable machine (nice!), pulldown/row machine, free weights, ellipticals and a treadmill. Also, a good amount of space in there.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the street as there is traffic and may have construction. Had a corner room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Whitehall for the first time and was overall very satisfied. The hotel is old, but has been updated and modernized without losing the feel of hotel built long ago. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Outside of some road noise in busy Chicago, it was a very restful night. I also though the price was good considering the location, and the staff was friendly and courteous.

If there is one knock it seems the food/drink service is sorta there because it has to be, and nothing special. That said, there are tons of good restaurants within walking distance.

I will definitely stay at the Whitehall again in return trips to the area. A great find for a very fair rate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Two business associates and I recently stayed at the Whitehall. The entire staff attended to our every need as if we were the only people staying there. Highly recommend the Vietnamese restaurant off the lobby for a snack or a meal. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The concierge told me they were imported from England.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Whithall Hotel last week for three days with a group of nine businessmen. I'm always leary of older boutique hotels but The Whitehall instantly put me at ease. The place was clean, the rooms were modern, everything worked and the people were over the top. A smile and an "I care attitude" go a long way with me. The morning coffee needs some improvement but other than that I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will certianly come back.

Mitch Meyer
San Antonio, TX

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I just returned from a week staying at the Whitehall and I loved it! I arrived off a long international flight, was greeted by friendly doormen and was checked in by the lovely Bizarre ( yes thats her name!).
My room was on the 7th floor and when I opened the door to my room I was so happy! My room was so big and spacious and looked lovely! A complimentary bottle of water and a personalised welcome letter and some city tourism info awaited me. A huge kingsize bed that was one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in anywhere in the world! A nice desk which was great for sitting at my laptop. A large flat screen tv with a good selection of channels.
A large double wardrobe with mirrored doors, which included an in-room safe and a minibar which I didn't use.
The bathroom was nice too, and a decent size too. I have stayed at quite a few downtown hotels around America and generally expect a small cramped bathroom, but this was pleasantly sized and in nice condition. Well stocked with towels that were changed daily (feedback for the hotel - to save the enviroment I am a fan of using my towels for a couple of days unless I ask for clean ones - despite me hanging my towels up they were still changed. Maybe this is something you might consider implementing? Not a negative just a suggestion).
There was a great heating/aircon system that reacted quickly and easily. Black out roller blinds kept the room dark in the morning.
I had a great nights sleep every night and genuinely looked forward to returning to my room after a day out on the tourist trail. The team of doormen and receptionists were always friendly, welcoming and helpful.
The Hancock Towers is less than a block away, which also houses a couple of stores and restaurants for a close by breakfast/dinner. This is part of the 'Magnificent Mile' which is the main shopping street in Chicago with all the big named stores!
Also at the base of the Hancock is the stop for the Hop-on Hop-off bus tours of the city - perfect for a tourist like me who wanted to explore the city ( see my review of them). A large visitor center is located about 2 blocks away to pick up information about everything in the city.
I really can't fault the Whitehall Hotel, I recommend it to anyone visiting Chicago and if/when I return to the city I will definitely be staying there!

Room Tip: I stayedin 704 and loved it, but I glanced in other rooms with open doors when I walked past them an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We just returned from a four day stay in Chicago at the Whitehall Hotel. I did not know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. I loved the hotel. Very clean and had charm. It has a very nice bar and a nice Italian restaurant and a small Asian restaurant. Very close to everything. Michigan Ave. (The Magnificent Mile) was a two minute walk to the corner. Across from the corner on Michigan Ave is the Hancock Building. We walked to Gibson's steakhouse, Carmines Italian Restaurant, Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, The Water Tower to catch the Trolley. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Chicago. A wonderful place to stay. We were with another couple and no one had any complaints.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor in rooms 711 and 713. No view. I assume the higher up you go you would hav...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends