“Fabulous small boutique style Hotel”

Ranked #78 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Loved this hotel. For me, simply one of the very best in Chicago. Here's why.... Cozy rooms with a high calibre decor, the most comfortable bed with real down to compliment, excellently located for all mid town Chicago bars clubs restaurants and theatres! Classy place that I highly recommend! Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear LondonAlan63,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our hotel. I was glad to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. The beds are some of the best in the world and we receive a lot of good feedback from guests about how well they slept while they were here. We also receive wonderful feedback on the location of the hotel which can not be beat. So easily accessible to everything Chicago has to offer.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope you come back to visit us here at the Whitehall.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Nice location of the hotel. Hotel very clean and I loved the bed. It is right down the street from other lavish hotels but this hotel did not deserve the 4 star rating. No amenities at all. The room was tiny and the front desk was less than cordial. This was a 2 star hotel fixed up to look like a 4 star without the amenities at best. Barely any room to move around we had to take turns getting ready for the Prince concert. Nice place to lay your head for the night, but for an extended stay with service look elsewhere. Also they say a manager is never on duty. Only a supervisor. There was no microwave available in the entire hotel except in the restaurant which was closed. I thought this was ludicrous. They did not even have one for the employees to use!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Leonetta Russel... L

Dear Leonetta Russel...L,

Thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. I was disappointed to see that you did not fully enjoy your experience at our hotel. I do want to apologize that the front desk staff was not cordial and I will ensure that we pass the comments to the staff. We dropped the ball and your stay should have been nothing short of fantastic. We always have someone on staff that is responsible for the entire hotel and is considered the manager on duty and I will reenforce that with the staff so that we are communicating better with our guests. Unfortunately we do not have the capabilities to provide a microwave for guest use as it would have to be in an area where it is monitored per fire code. We will look into resolving this issue and see if there is a better solution for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope you come back to visit with us and let us show you that we are a wonderful hotel to stay at. If you do decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly so that I may ensure that your stay goes flawlessly.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Whitehall is a perfect blend of traditional and modernity, right in the heart of Chicago. Location cannot be beat- steps away from Bloomingdales and directly across from the Hancock Tower. Staff is friendly and professional (especially Toni, who was kind enough to let me check in early). Everything you would expect from a modern luxury hotel (free wifi, flat-panel tv, gym and business center on premises), while still retaining the feel of old Chicago. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Graceslee96,

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, location and amenities. I would have to agree that the location of the hotel can not be beat. So close to everything that Chicago has to offer. I would also have to agree that the staff is top notch and that Toni is truly an asset to the hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments and give her an extra thank you for all she does for our guests. I was also glad you enjoyed the amenities as some of them are recent upgrades, so it is nice to see that our guests are enjoying them.

I hope your travels bring you back to Chicago soon and that you choose the Whitehall for your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I loved the ambiance, staff professionalism, location, super comfy linens, free wireless, and location. I stayed for three days for a project and felt right at home. For guests who want to dine, shop, gawk at the John Hancock, and then go for a walk or jog by the lake, it's ideal.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Heather L,

Thank you for your kind comments about the location, staff and amenities of the hotel. I was glad to see that you really enjoyed your stay and that the Whitehall was the ideal location for your business. I hope you come back and visit on us while doing a little R&R. I think you will enjoy the hotel even more!

Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need anything for a future reservation.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Whitehall Hotel was our home in CHicago for two days in June while I did business; my wife and I stayed for a couple of extra nights afterward. As a fairly seasoned traveler, I was impressed by The Whitehall Hotel. Once a club, the handsome historical building serves as a very intimate boutique hotel. What's more, the quality of the staff and the service they provide was of a very high order indeed. They all seem to have been selected for kindness and a willingness to be of help, and as a result, there was not the slightest hint of indifference that characterizes a stay in large chain hotels, even those with a good reputation.

The room was fastidiously clean and beautifully furnished; the presence of two different restaurants on-site made for convenience, and the location could not be more convenient. Yet, the street below was relatively peaceful.

Outstanding and worth special mention were the doormen and the porters. They were friendly, kind, and practically falling over themselves to be of help. Their welcome, and later farewell when we left was a nice touch.

We were glad we chose this fine hotel as our home for a few days in Chicago, and as such are very confident in recommending it to anyone looking for a first-class experience without the stratospheric prices of many more well-known hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BK48315

Dear BK48315,

Thank you for your kind comments in your review of our hotel. I feel we are blessed to have such wonderful staff members that look to bend over backwards in taking care of our guests and I am glad you were able to experience their wonderful "can do" attitude. I was especially happy to see that the front door staff exemplified our wonderful service and I will be sure to give them an extra thank you for their efforts. I will also be sure to do the same for our housekeepers as they are usually the forgotten ones, but always do an excellent job with cleaning the rooms.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope you come back and visit with us at the Whitehall. We look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Nice hotel located just next to the John Hancock building and the magnificent mile! The staff was very helpfull and extremly polite! The hotel had a retro look and feel to it (loved it). The room was well equiped (the tv was huge) and the bed was fantastic! A nice touch was the fact that i had a newspaper every morning on my doorstep :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Nikos_Tap
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Nikos_Tap,

Thank you for completing a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I also believe that its a beautiful hotel with a lot of character to it. I was also glad to hear that the staff took good care of you. It is a wonderful staff that aims to take care of our guests and ensure that their stay is nothing short of fantastic. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire staff. We recently upgraded some of our amenities in the rooms, so I am happy to see that you were able to utilize and enjoy them.

Thank you again for posting your wonderful comments on our hotel. If your travels bring you to Chicago again, I hope that you choose the Whitehall for your stay.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Just checked in and the location is great.. We requested a high flor but were given a comer room on the 7tth floor with a view of the alley and a wall. The room is in need of a little updating but in all it is ok. Just wish we had a higher floor. Males very surprised that there is no in room coffee service. Guess we should have read a little better. Room 701

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cgaz2014

Dear Cgaz2014,

Thank you for completing a review. I apologize that we were unable to put you in a room on a higher floor. We have been completely full the entire week and unfortunately we were unable to get you on a higher floor. We are possibly going to have coffee makers in the rooms in the future, but we do offer complimentary coffee for our guests which is located on the first floor of the hotel, so please enjoy a cup.

Again, thank you for your review and please feel free to contact the front desk or myself with any questions or concerns you may have.