“Punches way above its charge-level”

Best Western River North Hotel
Ranked #101 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Granger, Indiana
“Punches way above its charge-level”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I've stayed at conference and family visits at many hotels in Chicago--Swissotel, Hyatt Regency, Intercontinental, Sheraton, Monaco, and more--and while I loved all those places, I was really struck by how well this place satisfied my needs for a two day stay at probably half or less the price. I knew I didn't need overnight dry-cleaning, spas, really much at all but a place to overnight and see the city. I also noted that the place offered free parking. I booked a great ($150ish rate including taxes and parking) and figured, well, if the place is a bit rough, who cares? Well the place was perfectly clean, they had all kinds of facilities that I was not aware of (and had no time to use, so cannot report), and here's a topper: there was no fridge in the room I booked, but I liked the food so much at a place I tried that I brought it back and called to see if they had a fridge somewhere where I could bring my stuff down to keep it overnight. Instead, they said: We'll hunt up a fridge and bring it to you, which they did in ten minutes and at NO CHARGE. Everything clicked about this place. At its price point, I don't know its equal in this hot part Chicago.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at Best Western River North Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for the review! We're so glad to have clicked with you too! Thanks for the high praises and we're glad we could accommodate you and exceed your expectations. Hopefully we'll see you next time!

Marketing Mgr.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Korean first
St. Paul, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We returned to our room at 3:30 pm and it still hadn't been cleaned. When we called the front desk, the clerk seemed baffled as to how to proceed. I had to ask for clean towels, which arrived 30 minutes later. Still no clean room, no offer of anything to make it better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Denise A
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at Best Western River North Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for writing a review of us. I must apologize that our employee did not seem to have an answer about the cleaning service. This particular employee is very new and still learning, but that's no excuse for not providing you with an answer.

When you returned to your room, our staff was still cleaning rooms (they clean until 5:30pm). I can assure you that we did not forget you; our new employee just didn't know the cleaning hours.

We hope you'll be back again, and I'm sorry for the miscommunication.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Great hotel for the Chicago Loop area. Older but very clean with nice rooms and great staff. The door man is the greatest...Free parking with no restrictions. Friendly help in all areas of the hotel. Nice clean poo; area. Nice small workout center. It within walking distance to Michigan Ave and plenty of eating establishments.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Donald H
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the accommodations friendly and convenient. We'll see you next time!

Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It wasn't the fanciest, but the rooms were very clean and the location was great. Some of the carpet in the hallway was a little outdated. But the rooms were nice and it's easy to get around. We walked to a lot of the places we went to. Very safe area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WilliamH2415
Thank you for your review, and thank you for pointing out our great location and the secure feeling you had staying with us. We hope to see you on your next Chicago trip!

Stevensville, Michigan
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is our favorite hotel. This time my 12 yo son joined me in the city for his first trip. Wallace was amazing as always, be sure to check with him for any tickets you need in town. We saved tons of time at the Skydeck! Free parking is always a plus, and they allowed us to stay beyond our checkout time on Sunday to do the Willis Tower Skydeck, since I walked the feet off of him the day before! We loved the King bed, it was big enough that he didn't kick me in the night, and the room was large enough that we both had spreading out space (amazing in a city where some rooms are barely big enough to hold the bed and a tv!) My boy commented on the sirens, but for sleeping we followed the directions on the heater and made the fan run at night to cover up any noise. (It didn't bother me, but it was his first city visit.) We enjoyed the places nearby, and walked to Millenium Park to see the Bean & go to the comic book shop nearby (Graham Crackers on 77 E Madison St, check them out!). We both swam in the warm pool twice, and I even used the fitness center while he swam again...you can see the pool from the equipment. (It's nice that they make it cooler in the fitness center, the pool area was nice and warm for swimming, but would have been roasting for working out!) I appreciate the folks who worked hard to make our stay a wonderful one. Thanks River North, for the good service yet again!

1 Thank Ratfacegirl
Thank you very much for your review! And thanks for providing a thorough list of what you experienced staying with us. We're so glad we could make your son's first trip to Chicago a special one! We hope you'll come back again to see us!

Chicago, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I, and our son, just finished a college trip, and stayed in Chicago. The staff at the hotel was extremely pleasant, and helpful. They went above and beyond - in my opinion. The room was delighful, and the location of the hotel could not be better. The parking option is exceptional. We were very happy with our choice in hotels.

1 Thank Dan R
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at Best Western River North Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your review! We're so glad we could accommodate you while your son contemplates future academic choices. Good luck to him in his decision, and regardless, we hope to see you again in the Windy City!

Marquette, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2014

For the $ this hotel cannot be beat for downtown Chicago. I have stayed here 3 times already. Only downside is certain elevators go to certain floors and it can be a bit confusing, I have gotten lost a few times.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your review and your compliments. As regards elevators and navigating the hotel, we recently installed new hallway directory signs by each elevator & stairwell so that getting where you want to go is hassle-free.