“The pros balance the cons.”

BEST WESTERN River North Hotel
Ranked #101 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Cleveland, Ohio
“The pros balance the cons.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

The property is clean and parking is included in the price of your room. There is also a nice pool and a spacious deck with good views of the city. The rooms don't include mini-fridges, and I don't know if the bathrooms do not have exhaust fans, or if the one in my room was just broken. Regardless, it's not comfortable to not have an exhaust fan. The wifi wasn't working from the moment we checked in, and all the front desk kept repeating was that they were "working on it." Unless you can turn your phone into a hot spot, that makes it nearly impossible to get work done and when you're expecting wifi, you should be assured to have it.

Finally, even after having a "do not disturb" sign on the door, housekeeping still entered the room, and though I am certain it was by mistake, by bathing suit went missing. Since my husband and I were the only people in the room, the only place it could have gone was with the maids. It surely didn't grow legs and walk away. Unfortunately the staff seemed to show no interest in why this was unacceptable. It wasn't an expensive suit, but it was brand new (bought for the trip), and I did have a Do Not Disturb sign up. I would say go ahead and get a room, just be cautious and expect cleanliness and a decent sleep, but not the attention or perks of a higher star hotel.

Room Tip: The fourth floor has a connector to each building. It's probably the best floor to stay on, not...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN River North Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your overall stay but I'm sorry you had issues during it. I was a little confused by your post in terms of housekeeping entering your room and your bathing suit disappearing. I'd be very interested to get clarification, so please feel free to email me directly: samuel@rivernorthhotel.com.

I apologize that your stay did not exceed your expectations. I promise that we can do better.

Marketing Mgr.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Chico, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This older property is well kept up in a premium location. Rooms are modest but adequate and I wouldn't spend the $100 more per night anywhere else in the area for comparable location. Free parking and free WiFi are icing on the cake. Restaurant in the hotel is o.k. and a number of others are in easy walking distance. Breakfast available in the restaurant but not included.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We're so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was staying here for business. I called the morning of check-in to add my husband's name to the room, so that he could check-in while I was at my conference. They confirmed they already had Alex added to my room, and that he would be waiting for me when I got there. I let them know that Alex is indeed NOT my husband's name, and to please remove him from the reservation.

I arrived earlier than the check-in time, and they were gracious enough to allow me to check in early. They reminded me that Alex, again, NOT my husband, would be arriving in a few hours and they will let him into my room. I reminded them that this was not what I had asked, and I do not know this person.

The room was adequate size, but smelled terribly of Febreze. It was overwhelmingly thick in the air. But, by the time it wore off in the evening, all one could smell was cigarette smoke. I was not pleased. In addition, the bathroom door did not lock or allow to remain closed. You had to hold it shut with your foot while using the facilities. Not a fan.

The hotel is in a great location, however, and easy to walk to everything. If work paid, I'd stay again, but ask specifically for a room that NEVER allowed smokers, and keep confirming on who my guests may be.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the review. I am sorry for your recent experience with us. We are indeed 100% smoke-free but the issue with the incorrect name on the reservation is entirely our fault. We do apologize.

I hope you will come back to see us in the future so we can offer you a truly great experience of Chicago.

Wixom, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed a few days with my teenage son. Great location, though no where near the El. Free parking is the biggest perk. Most hotels charge upwards of at least $40 per night. I was reluctant to drive the insanity that is Chicago but was glad I had a car. Hotel is quiet, compared to others we have stayed at closer to the train. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Car attendants are remarkable at how many cars they can put in the lot. Once you're in at night, your'e probably not getting out. Didn't get a chance to use the pool as we never seemed to get in at night early enough. Rooms small but clean. Higher end coffee pots than other hotels. WiFi worked fine. Breakfast at restaurant was only slight negative. Mediocre food (eggs were close to burned) and only one waiter, who was a bit overwhelmed. Had a bit of a wait for food. Better off to have breakfast at Yolks, a few blocks up.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN River North Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your review! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the compliments. I'm sorry if someone did not point out the location of the El (train) to you: it's just 3 blocks east of us. We do sometimes have to double park cars in our parking lot, however, guests always have free in & out privileges, and our attendants are happy to move any other vehicles.

We hope to see you again in Chicago!
Fort Wayne, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Wonderful hotel located in the downtown area. As parents we worried about the children but they enjoyed it. Only hotel with dowtown parking and indoor pool. Had a wonderful stay. Thank You Best Western Chi Town

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the compliments! We're glad you and your kids enjoyed the time in Chicago with us. We hope to see you again soon.

United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great location but old building. The elevators are too small and too slow. The carpets are very old and faded. Free parking and a pool was great. Pool was a bit on the cold side . No hot tub which was disappointing. The room was small.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

RiverNorthHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN River North Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We're very glad that you enjoyed the overall stay though we're sorry you were not pleased with everything. We hope that you'll be back again so we can have another opportunity to impress you with our service and amenities.

Greensburg, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Very close to Downtown. Trolley Stop is right across street. Great for tourist. Free Parking and Free Wifi. which are both a money saver. Great food at Restaurant. Would recommend to anyone that wants to tour the city via trolley. If interested you can walk to Navy Pier.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

RiverNorthHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN River North Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review and for your kind compliments. We're glad you enjoyed the trolley tour! It's a great way to see Chicago. If guests want to buy tickets at the hotel, we can get them a discount as well!