“Good location and very affordable for Chicago”

Best Western River North Hotel
Ranked #96 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 12 October 2010

You can't beat this one for the FREE PARKING. This is very rare in Chicago. The location was close to transit (bus and subway) and catching a cab was easy as well as it was a busy location. No issues with street noise except the night that the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. Who could blame them! We have small children and there were several restaurants across the street including a McDonald's and a Rainforest cafe. Lots of restaurants and lounges within walking distance, including Portillo's (the hot dogs are amazing!). You can walk to the downtown in 15 or 20 minutes as well. An easy walk. We had a great stay and it was very affordable compared to most Chicago hotels.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 October 2010

I made reservations for this hotel 3 weeks in advance, meeting 2 colleagues for a major convention. I called the hotel and confirmed my reservation at 8:00 am the morning of my arrival before going directly to the convention from the airport. My reservation was also guaranteed for late arrival with a credit card. After a long day at the show, we arrived at the hotel around 6 PM. My colleagues checked in with no problems, but when they got to me I was told that they overbooked and I did not have a room. They tried to put me in an absolute dump across the street; an ancient "motel", the type where your door faces the parking lot and the general public can walk right up to your door. I can't imagine a hotel like this in downtown Chicago is safe. I argued with the desk clerk, and with the manager over the phone. Their story was that there was not another room open anywhere downtown, so I either take take "Motel Hell" or I was on my own. They even suggested that it was my fault because I did not arrive until 6 PM and I was the "only one" that they had this trouble with. I had my wife calling for rooms from home, and she did find a downtown Hampton Inn for $499., but best Western said they would pay only $209. After having 100% occupancy in their hotel, they couldn't even spring an extra $300. to put me up in a reasonable hotel. I've traveled all over the world, and have never had an experience like this. They literally left me without a place to sleep, and with no notice to find another hotel. The manager even lied to me and told me they tried to call during the day. I had no messages on my cell, home or work phone, and no emails or texts notifying me in advance of the problem. I will never stay at another Best Western property, and since I am a VP at a fairly large company, neither will any of our employees on business travel. By the way, I ended up on a couch in a colleague's room...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank Tom4444
Reviewed 8 October 2010

hotel idealy situated,rooms nice and clean,pool and sun deck perfect for unwinding at the end of the day..free parking a must would recommend this hotel ..would advise you to get bus pass for stay a lot of working involved otherwise and passes to attractions defo worth it ..

1  Thank jpe65
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Chicago. Very clean and updatd with everything you need. The staff was excellent, very helpful and polite. Of coarse the free parking is a plus. They have a great resteraunt and bar, Food very reasonable and good. I give this a A+.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maggy029
Reviewed 8 September 2010

WE picked this hotel cause of the free parking.. our room was soo small. We had 2adults and 3 kids..stuff was not friendly. No microwave,no breakfast,pool was not clean. It was a green looking color. They were painting a few rooms down from us so all we smelled was paint. Just not worth it. Wont stay here again. and the layout is crazy!!

1  Thank dallasgirl03
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We stayed Aug 23, 24, 25. There was a bit of concern because of some reviews, but we were quite pleased with our stay. It is not a high end hotel, however the place was spotless, and staff friendly. The free parking was great, and location can't be beat. We bought CTA passes, but really did not use them much. You can walk most anywhere from the hotel. For the money saved by staying here, we were able to enjoy much more of Chicago. The Blues Chicago on Clark around the corner was a blast as well! (2 nights in a row!) If you want luxury, go elsewhere, but for clean, comfortable rooms, this is a great place. We would stay again!

1  Thank NoSnowCanada
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The location is good but we are not happy with the staff service (except for the bill boy). First of all we reserved for 3 nights but we had a problem the first night, our flight was deleted and we arrived the day after…I know that we had to pay for that night but I kindly asked if I could be possible to have a little reduction but there was any help from them. The room was quite big but noisy, I couldn’t sleep at all. Then we left the signal “staff require” in order to have the room cleaned up but when we came back nobody has cleaned up our room! Only the bill boy for the luggage was really nice at us… I wouldn’t recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple