“Great hotel close to everything”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass
Ranked #111 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
London
“Great hotel close to everything”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights mid July and were very happy with the hotel. From the time we checked in until the time we left there were absolutely no issues. The staff were very friendly, the rooms while yes they are small (cozy), they provide you with everything you need and are clean and comfortable. The free breakfast offers a variety of hot and cold food and the pancake maker is a plus.

Across the street is a Trader Joe's so you can buy snacks for the room. Although we did not go in, there is also a Starbucks beside it. So close to all the area attractions and Fran at the front desk was kind enough to show us the train as an option to go out to Wrigley Field.

If I ever have the chance to return to Chicago, I will be staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher floors have great views!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TODD V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello K C,
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that Fran was able to help you find the attractions you were looking for in Chicago. At Hotel Cass we pride ourselves on a friendly, helpful staff. Thank you again for your review and I hope you have a nice day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My friend and I stayed in this hotel from July 8, 2014 to July 13, 2014, during Taste of Chicago (which is the BEST time to go, delicious food and spectacular entertainment!. I was fortunate enough to have a friend with me who knew the area well, but I could tell the hotel was in a wonderful spot, extremely close to downtown and the main area attractions, and nightlife. We couldn't have imagined a better location. All of the attractions we went to see were all within a short bus or subway ride from our hotel!

The staff was absolutely AMAZING!! They greeted us with welcoming smiles and chit-chat every time we walked by the desk. When we had leftovers from the restaurants, they offered to keep it in their kitchen. I even had a problem with my bank account, and they communicated with my bank to ensure that everything was going through properly, which was greatly appreciated! They helped us with anything we needed! They were FANTASTIC!

The rooms are small, which is of course expected in a large city, but they were extremely clean every time we came back from our activities. There was never a shortage of towels and products, and the beds were neat, clean and very comfortable. I love that they offer both firm and soft pillows on the beds!

I couldn't have imagined a better hotel experience, and I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to this area. I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Chicago!

If you stay here, you MUST go to Giordano's!! It is literally the best pizza I've ever had, and it's less than a block from this hotel!! This hotel is centrally located a short distance from all of the main area attractions, so I recommend it to anyone visiting to see the main sites: Sears (Willis) Tower, Shedd Aquarium, Grant and Millenium Parks, Field Museum, Navy Pier, etc. All must sees by the way! Also, if you are a comedy fan, The Second City is a MUST! One of my favorites!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a more scenic view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brittany B
Hello Brittany B,

Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found our front desk friendly and helpful. At Hotel Cass we pride ourselves on a helpful and friendly staff. I hope you enjoyed your time at Hotel Cass while visiting the Taste of Chicago, and we hope to see you again soon.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has small rooms, but they are well appointed and comfortable. The free breakfast had a good variety of foods. Great location for a quick trip to the city. I loved the historical charm of the building.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
TODD V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello bestndwest,
Thank you for writing a review after your recent stay. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location right in the heart of downtown Chicago, steps away from the city's finest shopping, dining and attractions. As a fully renovated historic hotel in the heart of the Loop, our rooms are comparable in size to similar hotels in the downtown Chicago area. Thank you again for writing a review and I hope to see you soon.
Chicago
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Room overpriced and very small. Bed was right by door. Cleaning cart, towels etc left in hallway for long periods of time. Did not see the cleaning people. Elevator too slow. Too many people waiting to get on or off. Especially in morning. Breakfast was good. Plenty of room to sit, food was out and kept up and service people were very polite and acommodating. Service up front and outside were polite and willing to assist.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

TODD V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hello,
Thank you for writing a review. As a fully renovated historic hotel in the heart of the Loop, our rooms are comparable in size to similar hotels in the downtown Chicago area.I will look into the situation of the cleaning carts in the halls. Thank you again for your review.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed staying here. Fran at the front desk was fantastic, very personable. Actually all the folks we encountered were very nice, always welcoming us back to the hotel. Like other reviewers have said the rooms are small but are very clean and utilize what little space well. I don't have a single legitimate complaint! Enjoyed the proximity to the L and Michigan Ave. Had the best wings at a sports bar a block up called Jake Melnicks (sp?).

Stayed July 2014
TODD V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi Sockie0117,
Thank you for your review. I am glad Fran was able to help you, at Hotel Cass we pride ourselves on our helpful friendly service. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to see you soon.
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is quaint for sure, but the service, location, and price makes up for it. My fiance and I wanted to stay down in the city in a good location, but not pay a lot. We knew we would not be in our room very much because we would be sight seeing. This hotel gave us amazing customer services upon arrival, during, and at check out. The location is so nice, across from Trader Joe's so you can go there if you need snacks/drinks without costing you a fortune. The location to the best attractions was nice (we used the L that was about a block and half from hotel). We would come back again. This is a good option for a couple.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christy H
Hi Christy H.
Thank you for writing a review. I am glad you and your fiance enjoyed your time at Hotel Cass and took advantage of our location right in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you soon.
Silverthorne
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I come to Chi town at least one time per year...and this was my first time in the Holiday Inn in the old Cass Hotel. The place was clean...and very accommodating! The rooms are quite small, however, I don't come to the city to spend time in the hotel. The continental breakfast is a great perk if you don't want to spend up to $20 a person out for breakfast. They however, need to invest in small refrigerators for the room. BUY A COOLER if you want a cold drink at any point. The hotel is nestled in the perfect walking location (roughly two blocks) to Michigan in a great neighborhood. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, but I believe they are great for the price. The only thing they need is a small fr...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hi Alex G,
Thank you very much for writing a review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hot, complementary breakfast, and location right in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thank you again, hope to see you again the next time you are in Chicago.