“Felix has a fantastic location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #117 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
“Felix has a fantastic location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

My college age daughter and I stayed two nights at the Felix and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had a room on the 12th floor overlooking the Rainforest Cafe and McDonalds. Nice city view. I'd like to compliment the hotel staff. Everyone from the front desks clerks who gave us directions and maps to the doormen who always greeted us and took care of our luggage on check-out day were just great. Our room was on the small side but we expected that as it's an older building. It was spotlessly clean and we liked the contemporary colors and decor. No bathtub in the bathroom but the shower was perfectly adequate. We were pleasantly surprised at how centrally located the Felix is. It was no trouble walking to Lincoln Park, the Loop, or the Magnificent Mile. We had a good stay overall and we'd go back again. One last thing--my daughter was very happy at having free internet service in the room!

• Stayed March 2011
FelixHotel, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 20 March 2011
Thank you for the great review and we're happy you enjoyed your stay with your tech-savvy daughter. We're glad you enjoyed the breath-taking views of Chicago and our convenient location, right near the Magnificent Mile.

We hope you and your daughter will stay with us again soon. Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

We were booked at Hotel Felix through Priceline. I was worried about the size of the rooms, as I kept reading they were small and that Priceline customers only received a room with one bed. Travelling as a couple with a teenager, I was concerned. But I called the hotel after making the reservation, and was greeted courteously and given a room with two beds, no questions asked. Checking in, both the door staff and the front desk were the friendliest and most accommodating I have encountered in my travels. The room, while small, wasn't tiny for three adult-sized people. Plenty of room to move around, even to plug in an electric wheelchair. The room was immaculate and beautifully furnished. The only problem I encountered was the folks next door were quite loud. It was St. Pat's weekend, and they came home drunk about 3 am and were extremely boisterous. After attempts to get them to quiet down were unsuccessful, I called the desk. Within minutes, a staff member was knocking on their door and telling them to keep it down. The front desk gave me 15% discount on our parking at checkout, for our inconvenience.

Charles the doorman was polite, helpful, knowledgeable about the neighborhood and generally a friendly guy. Everyone working in the hotel made our stay pleasant. There was a bartender who offered advice on places to go outside the hotel. There was the housekeeping employee (I don't know his name) who saw me carrying three cups of coffee, and dropped what he was doing to help me take them up to my room.

Other than my neighbors, the room was extremely quiet (although I agree the walls are probably on the thin side). The location couldn't be beat. The only complaint is how expensive parking is, but that's a problem with every hotel downtown.

I wondered why a boutique hotel like this would want to accept priceline bookings, but after our stay I get it. I never would have found out about this hotel, and I am sure that we will stay here again, and recommend it to our friends!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tunelawyer
Thank you for the great review and kind words. We're happy you were able to stay with us over the St. Paddy's Day weekend, one of Chicago's most popular and busiest weekends.

Most importantly, we're happy that our team members were accommodating and helpful throughout your stay and we'll certainly pass along your comments to them.

Thank you again for your kind remarks and feedback. We hope to see you again when you return to Chicago. Safe Travels.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

We got this hotel as our Priceline offer based on Name Your Own Price for a four-star North Michigan Avenue hotel. When we checked Trip Advisor reviews, we were very concerned about the size of the room and the sleeping arrangements for three people. Upon check-in. however, we were able to get a room with two doubles and the room was small but not unreasonable based on the price we had paid. In terms of sound, there was some noise but ask for a room at the end of the hall and you should be fine. Loved the decor, the beds were super comfortable, great linens, and the staff was friendly. All in all, I don't think this hotel is "four-star" compared to some of the Chicago hotels in that category, but it has a good option to offer those on a budget.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

I like older hotels with character so I really liked the Felix. It's interior decor is classically elegant with neutral and pleasing colour schemes but the rooms also have modern touches such as a great shower with high-end toiletries and HD Television. It also had the most comfortable mattress I have slept on in a hotel and great linens. I have a hard time sleeping in a room without an open window so I was glad to see that the windows opened.

I found all of the staff very congenial and not at all pretentious, but of course this is the Midwest. I did not use the spa or eat at the restaurant but the bar looked beautiful and I wish I would have had time to have had a few drinks there but we had dinner planned elsewhere. Many reviewers have stated that the rooms are very small. We had a double room and I felt that it was of perfectly adequate size. I booked on Priceline and for the rate I received I felt that the hotel represented EXCEPTIONAL value.

It is in an excellent location, one block from a truly excellent grocery store as well as within walking distance of many restaurants and bars and the excellent shopping on State Street downtown and famous Michigan Avenue. For the airport, the Red Line El is a five minute walk away. Take the Red Line to Jackson Station and transfer to Blue Line Trains to O'Hare. This is quicker and a fraction of the price of a taxi.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CBT_11
Thank you for staying at the Hotel Felix and we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. It's nice to know you appreciated the character of our building. The design was intentionally created to neatly fit inside the historic structure originally built in 1926. It's just one of the ways that we're eco-friendly.

We're glad that you noticed some of our high-end touches, friendly team members and the comfortable beds. Hopefully on your next visit to Chicago, you'll squeeze in time for a spa treatment and a delicious meal at Elate.

Have a great day - hope to see you soon.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2011

Before arriving the room was booked on Priceline at a very reasonable rate. The hotel was very centrally located downtown in a quiet neibourhood. Hotel has free wi-fi for guests.
The only downfall of this hotel is the size of the rooms. Even for a single business traveler, I found the room to be very small.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Oxford ENGLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

Stayed back at the felix from 2nd-7th march 2011, thank you so much to Kristina Zakaryan for sorting out my reservation. the staff are so helpful, the doormen even more so. julian was cool, + the other guy (he had an english mum) was so helpful.
Once again, my king room was huge, i was given a room that was adjusted for wheelchair users so i guess i had extra space. Great TV, great bed, beautiful lobby, a really nice place to chill in the morning with a free coffee.
WIFI is free and very fast, clean, crisp, modern hotel, what more could you ask for...except maybe having a tea/coffee maker in the room?
thanks Felix, we'll meet again, dont know where, dont know when......

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

I booked through priceline and I got a great deal!! I surprised my boyfriend for his birthday, and he absolutely loved it! The hotel was very modern and low key. The beds were very very very comfortable! The room was clean, the service was great, out stay was amazing and I would definitely stay there again!!! Only con- I wanted to get late check out and couldn't!

• Stayed March 2011
FelixHotel, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 12 March 2011
First, Happy Birthday to your boyfriend! We're glad you had a great stay while celebrating his birthday. We're happy you enjoyed your stay and our comfortable beds while you were here.
We hope you can visit again soon.
Thank you for the review.