“Great Stay!”

GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We (myself and 2 daughters 6&8) just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Felix. We had a wonderful time. We "won" our stay on Priceline for $55 a night. After reading the reviews of HF I was afraid that our stay was not going to be good. Well I'm glad I that I ended up staying here. When we checked in we were asked what type of beds we wanted. I told her that we would take whatever came with our reservation. She said we had a choice of a queen, king or 2 doubles at no extra charge. I of course chose the 2 beds so Mom (me) got a bed all to myself. :) When we went to our room I was prepared for a small room according to all the reviews on here........again I had a great surprise, the room was very spacious (if you want to talk small rooms The Thompson on Columbus in NYC is a small room). We had plenty of room for our 3 suitcases, 2 backpacks and 2 other carry bags, plus the 3 of us. The bathroom was quite large also (no tub, but we only take showers so that was just fine). The room was very clean and the beds were VERY COMFY. I have a great fear of bedbugs so of course I pretty much tore the bed apart looking and no bugs to be found...YAY! The doorman was very helpful when we took off to explore the next morning, going over a map and telling us the best way to get where we wanted to go. There is a Walgreens around the corner where we bought 3 day bus passes and souviners (much cheaper). There is also a Whole Foods one block down and plenty of restaurants to choose from. The Mag Mile is about 5 blocks away, and my daughters had no problem walking the distance with no complaints. I would most def. stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela L
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your review and for staying with us while in Chicago. We're thrilled to hear you and your two daughters enjoyed your three night stay with us! We're also happy you loved our comfy, cozy bedding and our knowledgeable doorman. We'll pass your kind words onto him as well. Thank you and we hope to see you ladies again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed March 2012. Other reviewers have written long narratives so I'll cut to the high points:

Good:
-- Clean
-- Fair location (about 4 blocks from Michigan)
-- Comfortable bed
-- Relatively low cost
-- Free WiFi

Bad:
-- Small rooms as noted (about half the size of a typical two queen, or a bit smaller)
-- Sink slow-running and shallow (wind up dipping your hands in the pool of runoff water)
-- Low price tends to attract obnoxious younger guests (several groups of drunk kids who looked barely old enough to be drinking in the first place)
-- Thin walls so you can easily hear said neighbors running through the halls or yelling at 2 am
-- $42 parking charge

I chose Hotel Felix for a short stay because of the low listed price given the location, but the parking charge cuts down on the difference between other hotels in the area. The room size didn't bother me since (as another reviewer said) I didn't come here to stay in my room, but don't fool yourself -- you're not getting a luxury hotel at a bargain price. The management seems to put a lot of effort into things that don't really affect the quality of the stay -- LEED certification (gets them a tax break but not clear what it does for the customer), trendy wallpaper and mirrors, and the amusing management response to *every comment* on the thread, transparently fluffing themselves and attempting to defuse any criticism, even if legitimate. Dear management, it's great that you're reviewing feedback, but if you really care about your customers, show them by taking care of them while they're staying with you.

In sum, it's a fair option for one person or a couple who just need a place to crash, especially if you're on a budget, but next time I'll pay the difference for more space and attention.

Room Tip: Stay far from the elevator
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank jaydeeemdee
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review your stay with us on your recent trip to Chicago. We certainly appreciate and respect all feedback. We’re glad you took advantage of our convenient location right in the heart of downtown Chicago and of course our comfy, cozy bedding. We’d like to address your comment regarding LEED certification. As Chicago’s first hotel designed to meet LEED Silver certification, we deliver an enriching experience that not only benefits the guests, but the environment as well. The hotel’s design includes many ongoing eco-friendly efficiencies. For example, the water waste reduction plumbing alone saves 1 million gallons of water annually. These efficiencies help the environment and in turn help our guests. We’re proud of our eco-friendly efforts and our strides to lessen our carbon footprint. We feel that it is our responsibility to be eco-conscious and mindful of the environment in our design and actions. At the same time, we do our best to maintain the highest level of guest satisfaction while you are on site. We’re happy you submitted your review and also please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions during your stay in the future. Thanks again.
Madison
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I recently stayed three nights in the Hotel Felix for pleasure. The hotel was clean and modern but quite small in size. The room is fine for business travelers and couples with no children. I'm VERY glad we found a sitter because there is NO WAY we could have squeezed a pack'n'play in that room and still have met fire safety standards...

The hotel staff was very polite. I would suggest going DOWN to the front desk if you have an issue however. Each time we called guest services they did not complete the task even after HOURS of waiting--for CUPS or PILLOWS! Easy things... but after going down the desk they were given to us right away.

The location was quite good. A few blocks away from the Michigan Ave, near the Cathedral district. There is a whole foods kitty corner from the hotel which is quite convenient.

Overall, nice for a quick weekend trip with your sig other or a business trip, but not if you have kids.

Room Tip: Corners are nice and ice machines are located on EVEN numbered floors only.
1 Thank MommyLovesChanel
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for your recent visit while in the Windy City. We're happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed Chicago's first LEED certified hotel and appreciate our convenient location in the center of downtown Chicago. We will also check with our front desk and conduct remedial training as necessary regarding communication with guests. Thank you and we hope to see you and your husband again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 February 2012

When searching on line for hotels I found them very expensive. Felix was perfect for vacationers on the go. Very clean, professional,great location for walking,and affordable. Don't let the name influence your decision-if your looking for a quiet hotel without all the bells and whistles this would be a good choice for you.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank lloita99
Thank you for your review and for staying with us while you were in the Windy City. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our top-notch customer service and convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago. Please visit us again soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I wasn't as bothered by the size of the room as some, but I did feel super cramped in the halls. Passing a housekeeper with cleaning supplies or another traveler with luggage is definitely a tight squeeze...but the halls aren't where you spend your time, so no big deal. The bathroom was a good size, but didn't have an exhaust fan. Every time we used the shower the entire room became stuffy/humid. The sink looked nice but wasn't very deep, which might not have been so bad if the spout was taller. Overall, the hotel was OK. It was nicely decorated, clean, and in a walkable location close to shops and restaurants.

1 Thank sharonvania
Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us while in the Windy City. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay and our chic, hip, urban decor. We're also happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thanks and please visit us again the next time you're in Chicago.
Wimberley, Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2012

As some reviewers have said, the rooms are a little small, but not, as some people say, tiny. My wife and I were quite comfortable in it. Although we were easily able to walk over to Michigan Avenue or the red line subway, it would have nice to have been a bit closer to Michigan. It was quiet, well-kept, and very clean. My wife would have preferred a coffee-maker in the room, but that's what husbands are for--hunting and gathering. I believe we got it through Hotwire; for that price it was a very good value.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review following your stay with us in Chicago. We're pleased to hear you and your wife enjoyed your time with us. To keep in accordance with our green standards, we offer guests complimentary local Metropolis artisan coffee in the lobby. We hope you have a wonderful day and thank you again for staying with us.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Overall the hotel is OK. The rooms and public areas are clean. My biggest complaint was everything felt cramped. The rooms are SMALL, which at first I didn't think was a big deal since we were hardly in the room anyway.... but then I kept hitting my knee on the bed frame and OUCH! Also, the bed was "queen" size, but it must have been some sort of mini-queen because I'm 5'3" and my feet were hanging off the edge. Other than everything feeling small, everything else was fine. Location is good; plenty of dining options nearby. Paid $23 for overnight parking at the garage across the street. (which is cheap by Chicago standards) I got the room on hotwire for $75 so over all, we were satisfied with our stay. We spent our 2nd night at the Hotel Sax which we enjoyed a ton more.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for staying with us during your visit to the Windy City. We're thrilled you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago, steps away from the Mag Mile and the exciting Gold Coast. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we pride ourselves on our eco-friendly standards and amenities. Thank you, please visit us again soon!