“Not as bad as I was led to believe”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #119 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I am really picky of where I stay at and thought that I would give this hotel a try because of it's location and my last minute decision to get a hotel.The location was awesome and very safe feeling- walking distance to everything you want to see in Chicago! The room was SUPER small... But It had a nice view of the John Hancock Tower and other buildings. The front desk people were always friendly and super nice. The valet was $44 dollars but for Chicago, that's not bad! The people who ran the valet were extremely nice and engaged us in conversations and helped us with directions, and where to eat, etc. I would stay here again.. Not for long periods of time but the one night I stayed here I enjoyed it. Comfy bed was a + and the large bathroom was great also. People staying here seemed happy in the restaurant and in the lobby. Good atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JONAS2040
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay. We're thrilled you chose to stay with us and enjoyed our convenient location, our hard working staff, spacious bathrooms and comfy bedding. We hope to see you again soon, have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Stayed overnight w/ my husband to celebrate something special to us. Check in was...well...awkward. The clerk looked uncomfortable and barely made eye contact. Room was ok. A couple of points...sinks were incredibly shallow, beds are on drawer-storage frames which I ran into more than once bc room was so tiny, found a few random hairs in the bathroom, one lamp didn't work. I will say our server, Jeff, was phenomenal! With a hilarious and attentive personality like that...he should be the one checking people in.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for your review. We're thrilled you and your husband chose to stay overnight with us in honor of your special celebration. Regarding your check in experience, we're looking into the situation and will conduct remedial training as necessary. In the future if there are any issues with your room, please let us know and we'll do our best to remedy the situation.Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 June 2012

We bid on a four star hotel in Hotwire for 620 euros (for 4 nights) and Hotel Felix was what came up in the computer screen. This hotel is far from 4 stars and we certainly feel we were misled by Hotwire. I think that Hotwire needs to revaluate about it. The room was tiny (we could not even find the space in order to open our suitcases) and we were told from the reception that they had complimented us by giving us a suite (although it was situated in the 11th floor, it was far from a suite and if this is the case, then I am really wondering how the normal rooms look like!). Imagine that there was not even a closet in the room. On the positive side, the room was very clean and quiet. The staff at the reception was helpful and polite. The location is good but not excellent. If your trip to Chicago is for shopping then yes, the location is indeed good (it is 5-6 blocks from Michigan Avenue and close to nice restaurants) but if you want to explore the city and do some serious sightseeing, then the location is definitely not the right one. Hotel Felix could be an 3 star hotel, but it certainly does not come close to a 4 star hotel.

1  Thank Eleni_gak
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay. We're happy you enjoyed our outstanding customer service and convenient location. The photos you posted are lovely as well! In regards to the size of our rooms, we are proud of our eco-friendly amenities and efforts. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I bid through Priceline and Hotel Felix was the hotel we got. I paid $150 per nights in June and stayed two nights. I would like to comment on other reviews I read here which made me nervous before we arrived.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by Charles, just about the most friendly guy you'd want to meet. Really set the tone. He was helpful and nice. The desk staff were also very friendly and helpful. Check-in went smoothly. We got there early, and our room was not ready. They will hold your bags. We ate, came back, and got a room about 2 p.m.

Yes, the rooms are small. I immediatelly upon winning Hotel Felix as my bid called the hotel to reserve two beds. I was traveling with my mother and teenaged daughter for a shopping/sightseeing trip to Chicago. I was told that they would tag my request but there was no 100% guarantee getting two beds. I called daily until my trip. I was fortunate enough to get two beds. The rooms are very small. However, the room was clean, and the beds were very comfortable. There is a big stand-up shower. The sink that so many complained of was no big deal at all. It was a non-issue. We were in Room 1217 which looks directly into the building construction next door. However, at my stay there was no construction happening and so it was very quiet. If construction were taking place I could see where it would be noisy. Looking left, you look out onto LaSalle Street. We had no intention of staying in our room so the view out the window didn't matter to me at all. Also, the smaller-sized room of this boutique hotel didn't matter to me becasue we were out sightseeing and shopping, etc.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. Our first night we went on the Wendella architectural boat tour which leaves from Wrigley bldg, and at night we went to Navy Pier for the Cirque show. My mom was with so we cabbed it, and both venues are super close to Hotel Felix and short cab rides. The next day we shopped on Michigan Ave, and again, this hotel is close to shopping.

We ate breakfast at Yolk on Wells which is a very short walk away. Yummy!! We also ate breakfast at Elate, which is the restaurant in the hotel. Very nice. Yolk has a bigger selection and has that friendly breakfast feel.

There was one issue that I encountered that I hadn't at any hotel I've every stayed at which I feel compelled to mention. My mother brought a muffin into the room that she hadn't finished. It was wrapped in a bag from where she'd bought it. We left it on the bed table between the two beds. We left the room at 3 p.m. after checking in and got back to the room about 9:30 p.m.. Upon our return, the bag was covered with ants. Probably a hundred ants or more. I have never encountered this in any hotel I've ever stayed at. After much panick in the room, I took the bag to the shower and washed the ants down the drain. We killed whatever ants were left on the night stand. Only about a dozen ants came back after everything was cleaned up. No other ants were seen the rest of our stay. I called the front desk to alert them to the fact that they had ants. They said they would let the staff know. They did offer us another room, but I chose to stay as I saw no further evidence of ants. I've stayed at a multitude of hotels and had sugary items in my room. Never ever have I had ants. Hotel Felix gave me a $20 credit. While I was disappointed with that, I did not pursue it as no ants showed up again. Of course, I brought absolutely no food items in to the room after that. There are no garbage cans anywhere on the floor outside the rooms so I took my room garbage can down to the front desk and had them throw away the muffin and the bag it was in.

Would I recommend this hotel? In spite of the ants, yes. The room - discounting the ants - was very clean and while small, the beds very comfortable. My stay was only two nights. I don't know that I would stay here longer than that. It does get quite close. However, I don't stay in the room much, so the size wasn't too important, and it didn't affect my stay. I did see one family checking in who seemed quite surprised at the no guarantee of two beds. I probably would not stay at this hotel with children. The rooms are too small for that. My mom had a bed and I shared a bed with my daughter on our stay.

This hotel was perfect for what I was in the city for, and the location was really great! It is not what I consider luxurious, but it was very very nice. Great for that weekend in the city. I was happy with the price consdering I was in the heart of the city.

I rated 4 stars for cleanliness, but hedge between 3 1/2 stars and 4 only because of the ant situation. The room other than the ants was spotless and very very clean.

It seems bidding through Priceline gets you Hotel Felix a lot of times. If you want a more spacious room, I'd probably stay away from Priceline. I myself might try another online price discount site to see what other options are available.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 1217. The room was an end corner, two beds. I didn't hear any noise coming from...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dph40
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We pricelined for a 4 Star hotel and ended up at the Hotel Felix. We lived in Chicago for 6 years and the one up side is the hotel is located in a great neighborhood. Close to public transportation, shopping, restaurants and nightlife; River North is by far the best neighborhood for visiting the city. The lobby is pleasant smells good. That's about it for the positives.

The negatives:
- The rooms are small. I mean, walk in closet size. Think of what you might get in Paris and then halve it. You get the point. The first room was so small and looked at a brick wall so we requested a move which they granted. Second room was still tiny but at least I could stand, touch the bed and not touch the wall at the end of the room.
- The rooms are not in good shape. Straches on walls, dirty looking carpets, etc.
- The air conditioning system is LOUD and kicks in every 10-15 minutes. It woke us up numerous times and blew directly on us in both rooms.
- The staff was robotic but friendly. Nothing over the top but not rude so I guess this is a neutral.
- Let's talk about the October 2011 murder. We weren't aware of the tragic event that happened in October of 2011 (google it). We were moved the the 12th floor where the incident occured. It totally freaked me out. And no one who worked for hotel would divulge where the murder happneded. So we had to accept the fact we were probably sleeping in a former crime scene. It gave the whole hotel a creepy vibe.
- Toliet did not flush well
- My fiance called for shaving cream since he forgot his. He was told they were out and he could go to Walgreens. Really?! 4 Star? What a joke!
- Even on priceline we ended paying over $200/night for a 10 x 10 room. Again, what a joke.

Horrible, unrestful stay. DO NOT STAY at Hotel Felix.

2  Thank Tara B
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and your detailed review. We appreciate that you took the time from your busy schedule. We also are happy to hear your enjoyed our lobby and our convenient location right in the heart of the Windy City. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we take pride in our eco-friendly offerings and amenities as the first Silver LEED certified hotel in Chicago. We certainly will chat with our team members to make sure they keep up their friendly attitudes but perhaps turn down the robotics. We do apologize that from time to time we receive ample requests for the same item, such as shaving cream, and occasionally run out. We do our best to keep up the inventory.
Again, thank you for your review and for staying with us. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We bid on a 4 star hotel on Priceline and this is what we "won". This hotel is far from 4 stars and we certainly feel we were misled by Priceline. Room was without a doubt the tiniest hotel room we have ever stayed in. There was barely room to walk around the bed and we continually banged our knees on the bed frame to get to the bathroom. There is no dresser, no seating in the room and no counter space in the bathroom. Bed was advertised as a queen size, however it was a double not a queen. We were there for 3 nights and requested a room with a larger bed, but were told, of course, none were available. When we checked in, bedspread had a large smear of blood on it. When we called the front desk about that, they did immediately send someone to change the bedding. Room was very clean, fairly quiet and staff was helpful. There is no pool at the hotel. Location is good, the neighborhood is nice and it's 6 blocks from Michigan Avenue. This might be an okay 3 star hotel, but it certainly does not come close to offering the amenities associated with a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed our clean rooms, quiet ambiance, convenient location and friendly staff. Regarding your room, we book guests based on what is available at the time of booking. We hope to see you again soon, thank you and have a great day!

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in June- got a deal for the room on Hotwire. Yes, the rooms are pretty tiny, but they are clean and the bed is soooo comfortable! The view wasn't too great either. None of this bothered us because pretty much all we did in the room was sleep and shower. I did wonder why they wash the sheets every day if it is an Eco-friendly hotel. We only stayed a few nights and could have opted to save the water.

The staff was AMAZING and were so helpful with finding restaurants,giving directions, etc. They were incredibly friendly as well. Valet service was quick and as soon as you pulled up in car or cab they were quick to help you with your bags and get the door for you. We really appreciated their help throughout our stay!

We didn't eat at the restaurant though it was always busy as was the lobby bar at night. Had a lounge-like feel- great place to grab a drink at night without leaving the hotel! The hotel is close to everything you need- mag mile, restaurants, bars, and bus/subway stops. There is also a grocery store two blocks away if you need anything. I wished our room had a little fridge, however, to keep some drinks and such cold as there wasn't many food/snack options aside from the restaurant adjacent to the hotel, however I have no idea where it would have fit in the room.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and if the price was right we would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay! We're so glad you enjoyed our comfy bedding and our outstanding staff. Our team works hard to give our guests the best experience possible and we're thrilled you enjoyed. We hope to see you again soon - have a great day!