“We rolled the dice and got lucky” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Felix
Ranked #118 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“We rolled the dice and got lucky”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

For a recent trip to Chicago, we tried something we'd never done before - used Hotwire to book a hotel - in an attempt to save some money. As soon as the reservation was confirmed and I was able to read some of the reviews, I was more than a little concerned about what we had gotten ourselves into. But there was no going back. And perhaps because I went in with expectations of microscopic rooms, we were most pleasantly surprised with our Hotel Felix experience. We were fortunate enough to check in quite early in the afternoon, so we were able to get a king bed (our Hotwire reservation had not allowed us to specify a bed size, so I had no guarantees of what we would get). When I compare our experience with what others have posted, I can only conclude it's entirely a matter of chance what your experience will be at Hotel Felix. Our room was plenty large, lots of space around the bed, a chair in the corner with a reading lamp, the TV was mounted above the desk, which was on the wall opposite the bed (perfect for watching TV). The bathroom was large too. Ours included a tub / shower combo, but from reading reviews, I gather that some of the rooms only have a shower. Here's what I don't know because we only saw that one room - was our room super large because it was ADA compliant? We had no need for an ADA room - we simply needed a king size bed because my husband is so tall. The bathroom was equipped with the railings next to the toilet and in the tub which I can't imagine they've done in all the rooms. So perhaps the reason we had so much floor space is because the room is designed to accommodate a wheelchair. I say that in the interest of full disclosure. Yes, our experience far exceeded our expectations, and defies a lot of the other reviews, but I do think staying at Hotel Felix is like gambling in Las Vegas - you take a risk, and sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.
Being on the street side of the hotel (at our request, in order to escape construction noises behind the hotel) meant we dealt with some street noise. We woke one morning to the honking of a trash truck. And the walls between rooms are not especially thick, so we were able to hear an angry neighbor at one point in our visit. But overall, we were very pleased. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was well appointed with a soothing contemporary decor. The bedding and linens were lovely The location was pretty close to perfect. I would have preferred to be a little closer to Michigan Avenue, but I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money. The walk to Michigan Avenue is easy, and you are near so much great shopping and dining. If you stay at Hotel Felix, let me encourage you to walk a block north to dine at Zed451. I've only been there for Sunday brunch, but it's fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors should have less street noise. There is still construction taking place next...
1 Thank eskdunning
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us! We're pleased you enjoyed our hardworking staff, comfortable bedding and linens, modern sleek decor and convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thank you for providing the beautiful photos as well. We hope to see you again soon! Have a great day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

The staff were great - from the friendly check-in to the check-out.
We had room 1115 - consisting - queen sized bed (very comfortable) - desk and chair - another small chair - two big draws at the bottom of the bed - lovely bathroom with good quality products and rain-shower head - plenty of fluffy white towels and a white robe. Also plenty of hangers and a small closet with a safe.
Everything was beautifully clean, comfortable and the air conditioning worked great (the temperature reached 105 F while we were there)

Would go back in a heart beat - great location - we loved it.

1 Thank Christine_B154984
Thank you for your recent review! We're thrilled you enjoyed our comfy bedding, plush robes and towels and top of the line H20 amenities. Although it's been a hot Chicago summer thus far, we're glad we kept you cool during your stay! Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.
Oberlin, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Location was great. Close to everything in River North and near Mag Mile. Small rooms, overall clean, very shallow bathroom sink. Large shower. Fluffy towels. Thankfully there was room on the floor for my son to sleep on a twin air mattress. The desk staff was helpful, when not aloof, door staff was extremely helpful and valet parking although expensive was very nice and responsive. No pool. Used Priceline and got one queen bed for one hundred seventy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us! We're pleased you enjoyed our convenient location. We'll pass your kind words on our desk staff and door staff as well. Thank you again and we hope to see you and your son again soon!
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

For a hotel in the heart of Chicago, it sucked big time. The staff was young and extremely unprofessional and of no help what so ever. I called to speak to a manager and was hung up on with no effort of them calling me back at my room. I was placed on hold for so long with the front desk, I had to hang up because nobody assisted me. The room had a dorm room or upgraded jail cell appeal. So small, don't ever try to go with more than 1 or 2 people. Parking was expensive as hell. Everything was miniature including the elevators, halls and rooms. Bottom of the line and bare minimum electronics and bedding. Very poor customer service. They also told me they ran out of extra blankets and could not supply us with a double bed room. So expensive for absolutely no luxury at all. The vending machine was also broken on our floor. I was so irritated!!!!!!!! Everything sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't book here! Pray you don't get it when using priceline!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gina D
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We will look into the issue at the front desk you raised and conduct remedial training as necessary. We try our best to accommodate the needs of our guests and book rooms based on what is available at the time. Thank you again and have a nice day!

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Arlington, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Where do we start? Ok, The staff was 4 star great!! Now let's talk about the hotel it self. My wife and I thought we would use Priceline.com for the first time and BOY!!!, what a suprise when we got there. We got room 415 and, it was smaller than the cabin the we had on our most recent cruise. Me being over 6 feet tall and my wife almost 6 feet tall had to stuff ourselves into a full size bed. When we asked the front desk for a larger room or bed they told us that's as big as they have. DON'T LET THEIR WEBSITE FOOL YOU ALL THE PICTURES ARE TAKEN WITH A WIDE ANGLE LENS AND PHOTOSHOPPED!!! We left the hotel with severe back aches. The folks that are giving great reviews on the Hotel Felix must work there. If you are 5'5" or shorter and weigh less than 120 pounds the place would be great. Don't order any food while you're there it's horrible. My wife and I both give the hotel 4 thumbs down. Please, Please don't waste your money at the Hotel Felix. I have to rate this crap hole now and it can't be rated as a -1.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1117 if you're going to throw away your money.. Wait, Wait my wife says that 1117 s...
2 Thank Bryan K
Thank you for your review! We're pleased you enjoyed our hardworking staff. Regarding room availability, we book rooms based on what is available at the time of booking. Thank you again and have a nice day.
Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I was on a flight out of O'Hare -- ready to take off when we were cancelled due to weather. It was already after 11 PM. I don't know how many other flights were cancelled, but there wasn't a room to be had either near O'Hare or in town. I tried every chain -- Hyatt, Hilton, Starwood -- no luck. I had visions of spending the night on a bench at the airport. In desperation (at midnight), I googled "boutique hotels." The Felix came up, I called, they had one room left. Booked it on the phone. What a pleasant surprise. The room wasn't larger, but well-appointed, clean and comfortable. Reminded me of some of the Joie de Vivre properties in California. Fluffy towels and H2O products in the bathroom and they gave me a late checkout with no back and forth. Was it on a par with the Sofitel Water Tower where I'd spent the previous night? Not exactly. But for my needs, it couldn't have been more perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review following your stay with us! We're happy we could help you in your time of need and provide a comfortable, relaxing setting for you to spend the night. We hope to see you again the next time you're in town on business (or pleasure!). Thanks again!
South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I won this hotel on priceline for $139. I went and read the reviews and instantly felt cheated-so I was dreading my stay there. I was pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a King room free of charge. The space was more than adequate for my friend and I and the location -although slightly off the tourist track was a mere 10 minute walk from Michigan avenue. The doormen were friendly and extremely helpful.

I don't tend to spend time in the hotel other than for sleeping or getting ready to go out-so didn't really care about the amenities. That said, the room was clean and the decor was modern and streamlined.

Room Tip: 713 is right next to the Elevator with a pretty lame view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MorenaChula
Thank you for your review following your stay with us! We're thrilled you enjoyed our location in downtown Chicago and our hardworking staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!