“Lipstick on a pig - Priceline SCAM, Bait & Switch”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #120 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Priceline SCAM, Bait & Switch – After submitting a Priceline bid over $250 for a 4 star hotel the Priceline systems responded with message for a one time opportunity to bid $348 which I did and got a room at the Hotel Felix Chicago, 111 West Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60654. There is no way this hotel and room was a 4 star. I am extremely disappointed and feel that Priceline took advantage of me on this purchase. The room I stayed in was exceedingly small; the closet was a small cubby hole with a curtain rather than a door and a bar that came straight out for hanging clothes so the only visible item on a hanger was the first one. The bathroom was exceedingly small no counter, a shower that was like that in a high school locker room. There was almost no desk space for working and no chair for relaxing.
Looks to me like Hotel Felix has regular rooms and separate one for Priceline...
The room I was not at all like how the Hotel Felix describes rooms on their website: “We offer three exceptional and unique types of room accommodations designed to provide the ultimate escape from the everyday hustle and bustle. All of our downtown accommodations are equipped with plush furnishings, contemporary flair and upscale amenities. If you have work to do, efficient workstations with comfortable seating provide the productive solace you need.”

I rate this as horrible because it was a bait & switch for $348. The Room was not even up the standards of Rd Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Don't fall for Priceline SCAM, Bait & Switch when they give you an opportunity to bid a high...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank BizTravelerBoy
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay. Regarding the size of our rooms, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts and amenities. Regarding reservations, we book our guests in rooms based on what is available at the time of booking. As Chicago's first LEED certified hotel, we work hard to give our guests a wonderful experience. In the future, please communicate your concerns with one of our team members are we will do our best to help you. Thank you and have a nice day.

Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel. The rooms are tiny, queen size bed, I'm used to King, a few blocks from Michigan Ave. And John Hancock Center. I really liked the Hotel and the location, the staff very friendly. You shouldn't spend that much money in other hotels if your plan is to get to know the city. There are many restaurants within walking distance. We walked all the way to Millenium Park. The hotel has free wi-fi, not strong enough, but it's free anyways. We really liked Chicago and hope to be back very soon.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Jose G

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're happy you enjoyed our hardworking staff, our convenient location and complimentary wifi. Regarding the room size, we're proud to be Chicago's first eco-friendly hotel. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 September 2012

This is a very nice hotel in River North area. Easy walking to Michigan Ave, the Hancock Building, Navy Pier, and the river tours. Little longer walk to the major Loop attractions. 1 block from the Hard Rock Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, and McDonalds. The hotel room was very quiet, and had very upscale, updated furnishings. The bathroom was very nice. The room was small, but well planned and even included a desk. Very nice location with luxury furnishings at a great price for downtown Chicago.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago, our quiet atmosphere and clean, modern decor and furnishings. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

This might make the folks paying $125 bucks on priceline and complaining about it after feel a little better.

I was here for work. We arrived latish and I was excited about staying at the Hotel Felix.

The website makes it look modern (which the lobby is) and inviting (which the people are, sometimes). When we arrived they had the most awesome smelling flowers at the front desk right at nose level and the lady checking us in was nice.

I got to my room and noticed a very foul odor. It smelled a little like sewage and really nasty funkiness. It was late so I decided I could stick with it for a night and hoped it was the room next door and would go away. Also, I heard one of the front desk agents telling another guest that they were sold out and couldn't switch rooms.

Move forward a few days and I've been tolerating the nastiness and try to get another room so I can get out of the stink bath. I get told they are sold out and have no options.

We spent a tremendous amount for these rooms and to have tolerated this and get no flexibility stinks (literally).

I can't recommend staying here. Even if you are paying retail there is no guarantee that the stay will delight or even be satisfactory.

The beds are comfortable. The neighborhood is fine.

I just wish some big city hotels would cut down on the rip off factor. If the room smells like decomposing biological material, maybe you shouldn't rent that room. Or discount it for the folks looking to save a buck.

If you are reading this review thinking of staying at the Hotel Felix give it some thought and move on.

From the reviews I've read some people have had good if not great experiences there. That said consider that even if you are spending a lot and are looking for someplace where you can get a good night sleep you might be stuck in a room that smells really bad and they aren't going to be able (or willing) to do anything about it.

I would challenge the management to consider empowering staff to help create solutions in situations like these.

It did not make me feel valued. If you read my review of Kimpton Properties I have stayed at I would offer that they would have developed a better solution that just an answer of "too bad."

Room Tip: The lobby looks nice and they have some neat metal art out front. It doesn't negate the poor exp...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GoCaps_2011

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. Regarding the issue you raised on your room, we are looking into this issue further and reviewing the situation. We will conduct remedial training as necessary and do our best to ensure our guests are comfortable with us. Thank you again.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Originally, I had booked another, less expensive, downtown Chicago hotel for our quick trip in and out, but all my pals had elected to stay at the Hotel Felix. It seemed a little too rich for my blood, but this was a wedding, these were my friends, and well...it's only money. So I changed my booking and went with the Hotel Felix. So how to write this review? The room was attractive and expensive looking, very high-end finishes; the bed was fabulous, so very comfortable; the shower was terrific with its rainfall showerhead; the room was...small. Tiny. Almost miniscule. I bumped my shin on the box frame of the bed *every single time* I came out of the bathroom. There was no chair save the desk chair, and I -- thrashing and sleepless for a time -- needed one. Of course, there was no space, so I suppose there is no point in lamenting the lack of a lounge chair. So how do I ultimately judge the value of the room...was it comfortable? Yes, the bed was amazing. Was the staff helpful? Yes, you know at a hotel like this you're going to get actually information from the staff. Was the hotel attractive? Yes, in a modern and tasteful way. So was the room worth the exorbitant price I paid???? In the end, that was a lot of money for the amount of useable square footage, so I have to judge no...I've had better value at a good Hampton Inn. I don't think we could have spent more than one night in that room. However, if you get a deal, and a bigger room, I have no doubt the stay will be lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest one within your price range.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're pleased you enjoyed our modern decor and our comfortable bedding and our hardworking staff. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts and amenities. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I found our stay at the Hotel Felix very delightful. Yes the hotel and the rooms are smaller then average but the staff is excellent. The hotel is in a great location, you are in walking distance to pretty much everything. Charles one of the valets was very helpful with getting our bags to and from our room, also with info about the surrounding area. Denise at the front desk was also a great resource she recommended the BEST restaurants in the area. They both always had a smile on there faces and made us feel very comfortable.

I would recommend that if your planning a stay at this hotel or in the surrounding area expect to pay around $100 a night for dinner. (including a few drinks) But it is well worth it : )

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corrina J

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We're also pleased you enjoyed our hardworking staff, we'll pass your kind words onto Denise and Charles. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 September 2012

It was going to be my first visit to Chicago and since I did not know the area, I decided to do Price Line to get my hotel. I secured The Felix, which is a boutique hotel in which I would be spending 5 days in. When I first checked in the hotel and made my way to the room, I could not help feeling claustrophobic in the halls. I am 5’8, 130 lbs, but I could reach out and touch both hall walls with my hands. When I entered the room, it was hot and musty. The A/C was on but it was not blowing out cool air. I called for maintenance and after the maintenance man adjusted and reset it, he said after 15 minutes; if it was not working ask to be moved. The room itself was very tiny with little room to walk. After 15 minutes, it was clear the a/c unit was not working so I was moved to an even smaller room. The computer desk was on the opposite wall of the end of the bed and even thought there was a chair to sit at the desk, it was easier to sit on the end of the bed to work at the desk. I went down to the front desk asking if I could get a bigger room. I was moved to a room the size of the original room I was initially given. The closet had a curtain for a door and six hangers. There was no dresser for my clothes so I had to live out of my suitcase for 5 days. When ironing my clothes, the only place to set up the board was behind the door. In the bathroom, there was a 3 shelf box for my things which was not enough room since it was occupied by towels, hair dryer and one roll of toilet paper. Zero counter space around the sink. When washing my hands, both of my hands would not fit under the faucet at the same time without touching the bottom of the sink. I had to move the robe on the back of the bathroom door in order to make more space in the bathroom. The shower curtain did not extend to both sides of the shower. The a/c unit although it worked, was loud and the vibration when it kicked on was like getting a massage in bed. The main halls were littered with trash and debris. It took up to two days for the trash to be picked up. My last day, after walking the in the city all day, I came back to a room that had not been serviced. I called the front desk asking for towels. The gentleman that brought up the towels apologized and said he would report to the manager immediately. The following day when I checked out, I was not asked how my stay was etc... I was simply asked if I needed a receipt. I took the liberty to inform the guy that my room was not cleaned the previous day and asked if it had been reported. He looked in the system and said no but he would report it immediately. There were two managers on duty, Larry and I forget the other guy’s name. I am not the type of person to ask for anything for free, I simply tell everyone about my bad experience, I take my business someplace else and I write reviews so the next person does not make the same mistake I did. On the way to the airport, all the passengers talked about their stay in Chicago and hotels. I was the only one with hotel issues. One lady highly recommended the Rafaela. I never received an email or call from The Felix management staff regarding my complaint. Lastly, the bad thing about booking with Price Line, if there is a problem or issue; you can’t simply cancel the reservation and choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Best tip I can give is to stay someplace else
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo