“Small but economical”

GreenLeadersGold level
chicago, il
“Small but economical”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Well, my room was big enough for the bed and a small desk. The desk, however, had a cheap metal leg that fell off occasionally. The closet was a cut out in the wall with a curtain over it. If you're looking for high end and four star, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a decent location (walkable to everything) that is for sleeping, and a very good price ...give it a try.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Hi Brimyn - Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us last fall. We're glad you took advantage of our convenient location, just steps away from Chicago's famed Magnificent Mile, the museums, restaurants and more. Our guest rooms are cozy and comfortable, especially for an urban, downtown hotel.

We hope you'll stay with us again soon during your next trip to Chicago. Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 24 December 2013

While my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Chicago, it was in spite of our stay at Hotel Felix not because of it. We come to the city every few months and always bid on Priceline just for kicks so I've stayed in 7-8 of the "nicer" hotels in this area of Chicago.

CONS: There are very few amenities. No fridge, no coffee maker, no shuttles to O'Hare.

In room hair dryer & room phone were broken, drapes & shower curtain were both ripped in areas. Pieces of laminate were missing from the bath sink.

Tried to order room service for a romantic breakfast in bed but they said they were out of the order cards so we'd have to call back at 5 or 6 AM to order. Defeats the point of waking up to breakfast.

We also had a bunch of loud kids partying, swearing, & slamming doors in the rooms down the hall from us at 2 AM. Hotel staff kicked them out but they came back a few hours later so while not the hotel's fault, the lack of sleep didn't add to our Hotel Felix experience.

PROS: Staff was very nice & prompt in coming up to deal with the late night party. Room seemed clean and had a large window! It's right around the corner from yummy Fogo de Chao & Wildfire. The complimentary wireless was great!

Overall, I'll still play hotel roulette with Priceline, but I do hope next time we snag a different spot!

1 Thank SunnyDisposition808
Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us on one of your many trips to the Windy City. We're happy to hear our staff was friendly and helpful during your stay. We are proud of our eco-friendly efforts and do our very best to offer additional amenities, including complimentary coffee every morning (rather than a coffee maker in room).

We hope you'll return in the future for a restful stay with us. Thank you again.
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I booked on Priceline for an evening downtown. The room reminded me of a European size hotel with no comforts and a tiny uncomfortable chair. The closet will hold maybe three items. The staff upon checking in acted as if it was a huge inconvenience and were not welcoming at all. There are so many options downtown that are in better locations and more affordable for what you get.

1 Thank Kachicago
Hi Kachicago - Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to downtown Chicago. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we pride ourselves on our eco-friendly efforts and LEED Silver certification. We also take great pride in our friendly and always accommodating staff. We will check in with the team and conduct remedial training as appropriate. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Rooms are quite small as others have stated. Definitely not a 4.5 star property, rooms were clean nonetheless. Close to area attractions. Given the large amount of options in the area, I think one can do better.

• Stayed December 2013
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thanks for your review Melsam M! While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud of our eco-friendly efficiencies. Thanks again and we hope you have a nice day.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked this hotel for a week for over $200+ a night with no breakfast, which is not cheap. This is my third day here and for two nights in a row, I came back to the room and none of the toiletries like shower gel or conditioner were replaced even though I clearly used them up (I threw away the empty bottles) and the bathroom floor was still dirty with a lot of hair lying around. The bed was made so for sure someone "clean" the room, but for two nights I have to either call or go down and ask for shampoo and stuff. The room is tiny and hard to find a place even to put my luggage, and is difficult to find room to sit in front of the tiny desk to use my laptop. Even though it is modernly designed and bed is comfortable, it is not worth the money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joannepchan
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for your review Joannepchan. We're looking into this situation you raised. Thanks again for your review and we hope you have a nice day.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 December 2013

So, I come to Chicago for business every 2 months and decided to try something new. I will be returning to the James or the Acme next time. Nothing was poor or terrible, but for the money I spent here, I can stay at a 4 star hotel with amenities. My major complaint was the restaurant/room service. I understand French food is not gluten free, but there should be an option other than a plain salad. ALSO, the restaurant closes and there is also no room service then. There is no coffee or tea or mini bar in the room for when it's closed. The room is very minimal, but clean. Very underwhelming. And my first night I was directly across from the elevator and on a low floor and it was quite noisy. I moved on my 2nd night and it was better, but there was a spotlight on my room, not the worst, but is there a nice room here? Over all, I won't be back for this price in this city full of amazing hotels.

Room Tip: Don't arrive late and rooms right across from the elevator are quite noisy!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hello Iohfo, thank you for your review. The restaurant next door is a separately managed establishment from Hotel Felix. In keeping with our eco-friendly policies we do not keep coffee machines in guests rooms. Household appliances like coffee machines continue to draw electricity when plugged in, even if turned off. We provide unlimited complimentary fair-trade coffee and tea in the lobby. Thank you again and we hope you have a nice day.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Room was small. We stayed just one night since our apartment was not ready yet when we moved. Service was good and room was clean. Amenities were okay - only real complaint is the size of the room.

This is not bad at all if you do not anticipate staying in your hotel room long (for instance, just one night, or you will be sightseeing/shopping for the most part). If you like your hotel rooms more sizable though, reconsider.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Maice_S
Hello Maice_S, thank you for your review. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again for your review and we hope you have a nice day.