“Great location and friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #117 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Oshawa, Canada
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed for 5 nights. I had booked it under Hotwire when you don't know the name of the hotel and when I saw reviews I was a little nervous. Due to others suggestions I had asked for a room higher up and away from the elevators as I am a light sleeper. I asked for a fridge due to a medical condition and was given one.

Negatives:
Room was small and no bathtub. Only room for my large suitcase - I was alone so that was okay.
Small closet (only a foot wide)
Wi-fi unreliable at times - I got kicked off a Webinar a couple of times
Noisy air conditioner - It rattled at times (luckily it's spring and I could open the windows so I just turned off the A/C)

Positives:
Clean room with a very comfortable bed.
Black out curtains to keep the light out and windows opened to get fresh air.
Staff were very professional and helpful. I want to especially thank Jordan the maintenance man who brought me a fridge and brought me a new remote for the T.V. and was very pleasant.
Free coffee served in the lobby in the morning with free newspapers
Very nice looking lobby.
Location is near the local subway so I could walk to it easily and then take public transit to the museums.
Whole Foods and Walgreens in short walking distance to the hotel so I could pick up a few things when needed.

Overall I liked the hotel and if it had a bathtub I would have given it 4 stars even with the small room. I have back problems and a hot bath at the end of the day of being on my feet and sight seeing would have been nice. I would not have paid more then the $109.00 a night. The Queen bed is great for a single person but if I was travelling with someone else I would recommend getting two Queen beds or a King bed because of the small rooms and having to put your luggage somewhere.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the elevator and ice machine if you are a light sleeper. Higher floors mean l...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Financial_freedom
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hi Financial_freedom - Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. We are so happy that you had such a positive customer service experience, that you enjoyed the location central to public transportation and sightseeing, and that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary free trade coffee in the lobby each morning. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Felix and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The Hotel Felix afforded us easy access to downtown Chicago and all that it offered. We walked to Navy Pier, to the Chicago Art Institute and to the Temple building (a must on any weekday is their 2:00 p.m. Tour of the Walgreen chapel, regardless of your religious affiliation), and to the Driehaus Museum, and when the sun shines, all of the city's architectural treasures are aglow - and there are lots of these. We had delicious Croques Monsieurs for lunch at Le Trouquet, filling salads at Pot Belly, a sumptuous dinner at Maggiano's and tasty dishes at the Riva at the Navy Pier. It was a pleasure to return each evening to our comfortable hotel room, with fresh linen and the smiling faces at Reception. Chicago is a friendly city and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We will return! and often.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi Ian R - Thank you for choosing us for you recent trip to Chicago. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. We are happy that you were able to visit nearby attractions like Navy Pier, The Art Institute of Chicago, the Driehaus Museum, and more. Thank you for mentioning the friendly staff at reception. We hope to see you again very soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Booked through Priceline and got a great rate for a couple nights at Hotel Felix. The hotel is in a fantastic, safe location, within walking distance or a short train ride to many of Chicago's top spots. The staff were very friendly and professional. Check-in was fast, and they happily checked our bags for the day after we checked out. The hotel lacks a complimentary breakfast, but it at least has free coffee/tea in the mornings and an attached French restaurant. The rooms are just okay. They are very clean and well-maintained, and the decor is modern, but the rooms themselves are tiny. I would not recommend this hotel if you have more than a couple small pieces of luggage. Also, the wireless didn't work at all while we were there. Overall, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kyle S
Hi Kyle S - Thank you for posting your review. We are happy you enjoyed our location steps away from Chicago’s landmarks, including the Magnificent Mile, museums, shopping and more, and that you were able to take advantage of our bag check and the complimentary fair trade coffee and tea available each morning in the lobby. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. We hope you were able to speak to the front desk about the wireless Internet issue you experienced during your stay. Thank you again for posting your review, and we hope to see you again very soon.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Got this hotel off a deal at Expedia. First stay there. It's modern style, and in a good location. It's clearly been a few years since it was remodeled, showing some age. However it was clean and well appointed, my room was a standard smaller size for Chicago. Very nice stay overall. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hi Will B - Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent business stay with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you for recognizing our friendly staff. We hope to see you again soon!
Chatham Ontario
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Love this Hotel, Check is was fast and the staff was very friendly The room was small but perfect for our needs and very clean
Very close walk to everything you can ask
We enjoyed a great meal at Theory and had a blast at Howl at the Moon
Got a city card and glad we did the price is worth having the fast pass and skipping all the lines at the Sears tower, art galary and the Shed Aquarium

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi belgiumcdn - Thank you very much for posting your review. We are so glad you were able to enjoy surrounding attractions like the Shedd Aquarium and Willis Tower. Thank you again and we hope you have a great day!
Toronto
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I checked into the hotel and was immediately impressed. The concierge greeted me at my cab, opened the door and was very friendly. Once I got to the front desk the gentleman that greeted me was very polite and the check was very smooth. I went up to my room and thought the décor tasteful, and I liked the upgraded washroom (I hate bathtubs). I went down to the bar and was pleasantly greeted by a fantastic barmaid. When I returned to my room I noticed they had returned someone else's dry cleaning to my room...this was addressed immediately. So why the average rating? It was when I went to sleep, I couldn't. The fan was very noisy, turning on and off and on and off. The elevator has a very loud ding when it came to my floor as I was right in front of it....it kept waking me up, I could hear the people chatting in the room next to mine and someone ran up the hotel corridor saying Swish quite loudly, I don't blame the hotel for this, as I believe alcohol to be a factor. When morning came I wasn't rested and started a long day very tired. I explained to the front desk and they were kind enough to address my concerns, however I left pretty groggy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator. I was in 913 and found it to be very noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SweetVanillaCSmooth
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi SweetVanillaCSmooth - Thank you very much for posting your review with us following your recent stay. We are very happy that you had a positive customer service experience with the concierge, front desk staff, and bar staff. It is a shame that other guests made so much noise during your stay, but we are glad those issues were addressed when you reported them. Thank you very much for your kind remarks, and we hope to see you again soon!
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just checked in...friendly front desk, rooms as portrayed, all good. However, bartender could not be bothered with any of the hotel guests...hooked on ESPN behind the bar...never a "what would you like" or "thank you" to anyone. Out of place compared to the front desk.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim L
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Hi Tim L - Thank you very much for posting your review. We appreciate the feedback regarding your experience at the bar. We are looking into this situation and will conduct remedial training as appropriate. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, and that you'll visit us again soon. Have a great day!