“Good value hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Verwood, United Kingdom
“Good value hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel is a good price for Chicago. The room was immaculate but on the small side but I think there are larger rooms but at the end of the day you only sleep and shower in it. Staff were great. No coffee machine in room but free coffee and tea Near reception in a morning.good position for the magnificent mile.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hi Jorickhols - Thank you for posting your review. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we find most guests appreciate our urban location, which is just steps away from Chicago’s landmarks, including the Magnificent Mile, museums, shopping and more. We are happy you were able to take advantage of our complimentary fair trade coffee and tea in the lobby each morning. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Well located in Chicago's historic Gold Coast neighborhood, the location is easily accessible by car or public transportation and within walking distance of many restaurants and stores. The website and lobby make the hotel appear hip and modern, but the rooms themselves are exceptionally bland and tiny-- smaller than the average New York city hotel room. My room was right near the elevator and I could hear the sounds and people disembarking in the late night, which disrupted my sleep. The rooms themselves are clean and fine but have no charm-- no artwork or personality, and mine faced an air shaft so the one small window produced no natural light either. Parking was outrageous-- sadly this is a Chicago problem not just with the Felix ($49 for overnight valet). Overall it was adequate but I'd probably look for something with more charm and better appointed rooms on a future trip. The price was right but it's probably worth splurging next trip to Chicago.

Room Tip: Request something away from the elevator
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ismobile7
Hi ismobile7 - Thank you for choosing Hotel Felix for your recent visit to Chicago. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Our valet parking is competitive with Chicago’s downtown parking rates and the valet parking service includes unlimited in-and-out privileges. We hope you to see you again! Safe travels.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My niece and I were looking to have some fun in the city of Chicago. This is an expensive place to stay. I booked a room with 2 beds but when we checked in we had ONE bed. When I questioned this mistake and asked to have the type of room I booked instead I was told the hotel was fully booked and they could not change our room. The room was SO small. there was barely a foot on either side of the bed and the bathroom door was reachable from the bed. several times we bumped our knees on the bed while moving about. The fact that the room was NOT what I booked and they were unwilling to correct the problem makes me give this hotel a double thumbs down.

Green Features: I was too angry about our TINY room to give much thought to the fact that this hotel is environmentally friendly
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank fancypants2014
Hi fancypants2014 - Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. With regard to your booking being incorrect, we will look into this situation and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you again, and we hope you have a great day.

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had an amazing weekend at this hotel. Perfect location, and a really great staff. We were pleasantly greeted by every staff member we encountered. Our room was very clean, and well appointed. Our only complaint was that the toilet kept intermittently running throughout the night, but closing the bathroom door solved that problem. There is a whole foods a block away that has everything you could need, as well as parking that is affiliated with the hotel for $29 a night. Just ask the front desk for a parking coupon.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from elevators if you can, higher the better to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Jeremy S - Thank you for posting your review with us! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay, were able to get set up with parking, and that you found the Whole Foods close to our hotel. Safe travels, and we hope to see you again soon.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Personally have been to twenty plus hotels all over the world, whether it was Asia or North America. I've never been assigned to someone else's room. It is just ridiculous to walk in a hotel room seeing a box of Coors on the ground and some clothes on the bed. I wondered how it would be like if someone was in the room. I have no idea how a system could cause such a ridiculous thing from happening.

As we walked back down to the counter the manager on duty seems to be by the desk and she inquired us if anyone was in the room. We answered that there was no one and she did not seem to care about it from then. The desk quickly assigned us another room and that was all. I did not think too much at the spot but thinking back it is just ridiculous.

Overall the hotel was not bad, a more modern look for a small hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wei Hsueh C
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hi Wei Hsueh C - Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. We appreciate you providing feedback on the mixup that happened with the rooms. It sounds like the front desk was able to help you, and we are glad the issue was resolved quickly. Thank you again for the feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.
dekalb, illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We arrived 3 hours early and had to wait maybe 20 minutes for them to get a room ready for us, which they did as fast as they possibly could. They sat us in the lobby and got us free coffee while we waited.

This hotel is small, for sure. The rooms are small but well appointed and look nice. You're not going to have a view of anything, really. The people that complain about the size of the rooms, though, confuse me. With where this hotel is, if you're sitting in you're room you are really missing out on what's around you and wasting your money. You are surrounded by great restaurants, bars and are walking distance to Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier. If the room is too small, get out of the room and do something!

We were there with our daughter and I will say I won't do that again. The queen rooms are perfect for couples, no more.

Room Tip: Pretty much only two to a room. Anything more is cramped.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi mtl1104 - Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are happy that you enjoyed the complimentary free trade coffee in our lobby and that the staff was able to quickly have a room prepared for you. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts, and we see that you were able to enjoy the surrounding attractions and sightseeing with your family. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Felix. We hope to see you again soon!
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed for 5 nights. I had booked it under Hotwire when you don't know the name of the hotel and when I saw reviews I was a little nervous. Due to others suggestions I had asked for a room higher up and away from the elevators as I am a light sleeper. I asked for a fridge due to a medical condition and was given one.

Negatives:
Room was small and no bathtub. Only room for my large suitcase - I was alone so that was okay.
Small closet (only a foot wide)
Wi-fi unreliable at times - I got kicked off a Webinar a couple of times
Noisy air conditioner - It rattled at times (luckily it's spring and I could open the windows so I just turned off the A/C)

Positives:
Clean room with a very comfortable bed.
Black out curtains to keep the light out and windows opened to get fresh air.
Staff were very professional and helpful. I want to especially thank Jordan the maintenance man who brought me a fridge and brought me a new remote for the T.V. and was very pleasant.
Free coffee served in the lobby in the morning with free newspapers
Very nice looking lobby.
Location is near the local subway so I could walk to it easily and then take public transit to the museums.
Whole Foods and Walgreens in short walking distance to the hotel so I could pick up a few things when needed.

Overall I liked the hotel and if it had a bathtub I would have given it 4 stars even with the small room. I have back problems and a hot bath at the end of the day of being on my feet and sight seeing would have been nice. I would not have paid more then the $109.00 a night. The Queen bed is great for a single person but if I was travelling with someone else I would recommend getting two Queen beds or a King bed because of the small rooms and having to put your luggage somewhere.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the elevator and ice machine if you are a light sleeper. Higher floors mean l...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Financial_freedom
Hi Financial_freedom - Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. We are so happy that you had such a positive customer service experience, that you enjoyed the location central to public transportation and sightseeing, and that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary free trade coffee in the lobby each morning. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Felix and we hope to see you again soon!