“small but comfortable”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“small but comfortable”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Everything about the Hotel Felix was comfortable and inviting. Rooms are small but beds/pillows were very comfortable. Only request would be a mini-fridge and coffee pot in room. We stayed 3 nights and didn't have a place to keep any perishables.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hi Mitchell F - Thank you for choosing Hotel Felix for your recent visit to Chicago. We are happy to hear that your stay was pleasant and comfortable. In keeping with our ecofriendly policies, we do not have coffee machines in our guests rooms. Household appliances like coffee machines continue to draw electricity when plugged in, even if turned off. We provide complimentary, fair-trade coffee and tea in the lobby every morning. Also in an effort to be environmentally friendly, we do not automatically equip guest rooms with refrigerators. We do provide guests with mini fridges upon request though, pending availability, with advance notice preferred. Thank you again for posting your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
los angeles
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was supposed to stay 3 nights but moved out after 1 night. This place is a dump!! Motel-quality rooms, cramped and dirty, polyester sheets, parties going on all night from teen-agers. Just a nightmare. Save yourslef the trouble.

Room Tip: stay away!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sporttraveler
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hi sporttraveler - Thank you for posting your review. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. In regards to the sheets, we offer high quality sheets with a high thread count as we do value a restful night sleep. Safe travels, and we hope you have a great day.

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Felix for 5 nights in Early May. Our check in was very efficient, and we found all the hotel staff during our staff very efficient and helpful.
The room was a touch on the small side but I would certainly not let that put people off (It is a boutique hotel after all).
The hotel and rooms were very clean and tidy, we also found the location ideal. Very close to bars/restaurants. We would certainly recommend Kerrymens Irish pub which is just across the road from the hotel.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Felix, and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Dek D - Thank you for choosing Hotel Felix Chicago for your recent trip. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of our proximity to restaurants, shopping and attractions. Safe travels, and we hope we see you again very soon.
Bethlehem PA
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I ended up at this property via a blind-booking site and was alarmed to read the reviews criticizing it for cramped quarters, poor customer service, and noise at night. It was a relief, then, to arrive at the hotel and have my request for a room with two double beds honored (these rooms are typically a bit bigger than rooms with only one bed)--I had called the day before I arrived to make this request, and though the receptionist couldn't promise anything, he did tell me he'd note that I'd asked. The room I was given was perfectly fine, in terms of size--not a lot of extra room, mind you, but enough that there was room to move about freely. I don't know how small other rooms were, but this one was more than adequate.
The noise: yes, the walls are thin and noise did seem to travel between rooms, but not so much that it prevented sleep or anything like that.
The staff I encountered were friendly and helpful, and I had no issues at all with its customer service (although it was a little odd to be told that housekeeping couldn't bring a bottle opener to my room because there was only ONE in the entire hotel and it was being used by the bar...maybe it's time to invest in a spare, guys?).
My only complaint/warning to other travelers is in regard to the lack of in-room coffee makers. I totally get the "environmental" aspect of this decision, but think that the hotel ought to compensate by at least serving halfway decent brew in the lobby. The coffee at Hotel Felix was, to put it mildly, awful--overly strong, bitter, burnt-tasting and almost undrinkable (I'm not a snob, either--this stuff was just bad by any measure). This should be remedied immediately--and also, if the hotel is staying true to its environmental mission, half-and-half should probably be provided in a pitcher, NOT in single-serve plastic containers!
But bad coffee does not a bad stay make, and I was pleasantly surprised overall by the Felix. Its location is excellent, it's got a quirky charm unlike chain hotels, and the folks I dealt with were professional and accommodating. I'd stay here again--I'd just be sure to bring my own coffee!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hi christianneanastasia - Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are happy to hear that your double request was accommodated and that our excellent customer service stood out. In keeping with our eco-friendly policies, we do not have coffee machines in our guests rooms. Household appliances like coffee machines continue to draw electricity when plugged in, even if turned off. We provide complimentary, fair-trade coffee and tea in the lobby every morning. We will relay your feedback regarding the taste of the coffee, but please also note that there is a Starbuck around the corner at Dearborn & Erie for your next visit. And thank you for the feedback on the bottle opener! Again, we appreciate your review and we hope to see you soon.
California
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is the second time I've stayed here and both times were Priceline bids. The attitudes toward bidders has definitely changed. The first time they were very accommodating and this time I was invisible. I called to see if I could get 2 beds since there would be 2 adults and 2 children traveling (I know Priceline only guarantees 1 bed) and they said for $120 a night extra they would do it. So it wasn't like they didn't have the rooms they just wanted to make sure I was going to pay steeply for them (my bid was already a high bid). We stayed with the single bed and made beds on the floor for the little girls (with one of the thinnest blankets possible that I got from housekeeping when I called for an extra blanket). When I was here last time the doorman was very helpful, gave us maps to get around, suggested places to go and held doors for us. This time even when my little girl was struggling with the doors in front of him it was like we were no one was there. 4 stars...I don't think so!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Hi Angela L - Thank you for posting your review. We will look into this situation and we appreciate your feedback. Please know that we strive to provide an excellent standard of service to all guests, regardless of their booking method. Thank you again for your review. Have a great day.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The staff here was very good and the location was quite nice.

We were worried about the size of the room given the reviews here, but we've stayed in much, much smaller.

We were in what seemed to be a medium sized room on the floor map (some were bigger, some were smaller), but it wasn't the tiny Euro sized room we'd expected.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hi cpgecko - Thank you for posting your review following your recent visit to Chicago. We are happy that you were pleased with the size of your room, and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!
Ohio, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Location is great! Loved the staff! Rooms are a bit small, but we were busy shopping and eating. Shopping was about. 3 blocks from hotel. Navy Pier about 20-15 minute walk. Overall was a good experience and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hi Kathy W - Thank you for choosing Hotel Felix for your recent stay in Chicago. While our rooms are cozy in nature, as Chicago's first Silver LEED certified hotel we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. We are happy you were able to take advantage of the restaurants, shopping and attractions central to our location. We hope you have a great day!