“"Authentic" Yuppie Pub”

Cross street: illinois
Chicago, Illinois
“"Authentic" Yuppie Pub”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Overall, "ok". Yuppie Pub. Very "live" room. Attended a going-away party for an extended family member there recently. While we all paid toward it, the host ordered the appetizers while each of us ordered his or her own entree/meal.

It's supposed to be an English syle pub/bar/restaurant. OK. They give it a good try, I think, considering the very idea of English "cuisine" is an oxymoron. But if you don't get the fish & chips right . . . ? I expect crispy battered fish fillets; these came a bit soggy and burned the roof of my mouth and bore a vague resemblance to Van De Camps frozen (which I happen to like).... And chips? English "chips" are larger and thicker than typical American fries and more akin to our "home fries", so when typical American fries accompany the fish, again where's the authenticity. And they were seasoned.... They did provide malt vinegar for dipping (minor kudo in the grander scheme), and a decent "slaw", but no peas or curry but some ketchup (not the traditional "tomato sauce).

There are a handful of other "traditional" items on the menu, unfortunately but for the fish & chips nobody ordered any so I can't comment on them.

Other diners had a variety of things pretty much par for the course today in most places; the selection is varied enough but all reports for the burgers and salads were just "ok" and nothing special.

Our host ordered appetizers including deviled eggs (frankly I don't see how any place even attempting authenticity can dare offer them) but the yolk mixture was harsh and bitter, and wings (very un-English but respectable - then again how can wings not at least be "ok"?).

On the other hand, the beverage selection is very respectable. I had a wonderful St. Peter's Porter (16 oz bottle for $8); as I was designated driver, that's all I had but 16 oz is generous.

What possessed our host to choose this place I don't know other than it was convenient for her and in the end the location was of less importance than the purpose, but since all of the seating is bar stools (and a few drink rails around the edges) and a few of our group were "seniors" such seating was uncomfortable and the washrooms are in the basement and there did not seem to be any elevator available. Two families in the group had babies, and there was no place safe for them. So this place definitely is not cut out for grandparents or grandchildren. Also, while I believe there are a couple of private rooms, they are upstairs; we were in the main room and even though it was early afternoon there was one other party group and their volume was near deafening. I will say the service was good overall; very attentive.

Because it was a party, there was a cake, but it came from Costco as they have no desert menu. Which makes me wonder how they can have parties; I don't know many places that will let you bring in food because of liability issues.

Overall, would I go back there? Probably not. But then this may just not be "my speed" and since I come from the northeast (think battered fish) and I've had fish & chips in England and Canada my expectations may just be a wee bit . . . high.

• Visited March 2012

San Francisco, California
“A Chicago landmark”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I haven't eaten here but it's a great place to gather with friends for drinks!

Visited August 2011
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Great spot”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Steak sandwich is really good here. You must check it out. A lot of TVs to watch all the sports you would like.

Visited January 2012
New York City, New York
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I was in Chicago for business/pleasure and went to English since it was one of the only restaurants serving food late on a Tuesday night. Basically, the food and service was fantastic. My friend and I wanted to split two dishes and English divided the two dishes for us so we didn't have to pull it a part ourselves. I've never seen a restaurant do that before and thought it was really nice. The manager also stopped by a few times making a few jokes and making us feel welcome. I would definitely go again the next time I'm in the area!

• Visited October 2011
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Great scene”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stopped in while waiting for a table at a local pizza place. Great chips with pulled pork. Attracts a good-looking crowd. Is the bathroom attendant really necessary, though?