“Great location, average experience”
Review of Central Loop Hotel

Central Loop Hotel
Ranked #79 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Great location, average experience”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My sister and I planned a 4th of July getaway to Chicago and found a good deal at this hotel. The location was good for us because it was located in the Loop and easily accessible to public transportation.

Because of weather issues, we had a very late (after midnight) arrival. We called to notify the hotel and our key was ready for us as soon as we walked in. We had a room on the 4th floor and when we entered, we found it to be small and there were no windows. (Luckily, we are not claustrophobic!) In the morning, we realized there was a skylight near the door, but the configuration of the room didn't allow light to reach where the bed was. The room was also handicapped-accessible. (Not a big deal except when you take a shower, you end up having water all over the place.) We were tired and are not fussy, so we didn't request a change, but a head's up at the desk would have been good.

Also, the hotel touts its "green practices," but for some reason, they had hot water running in the toilet. We found this out when the tank leaked each time we flushed. (We reported the leak issue to the front desk and it was promptly fixed.)

We ate breakfast on-site one day. The restaurant was decent enough, but with so many good places to eat in Chicago, make sure to venture out.

The hotel was clean and a fine place to stay if you're going to be in and out all over the city. I didn't find anything particularly special. The service was average. No one was overly friendly. Just people doing the standard hospitality job.

Transportation Notes:
1. The Blue Line from O'Hare is right around the corner from the hotel. The trip to the airport takes under an hour.
2. We took a taxi from O'Hare because of our late arrival. We were told it would cost somewhere around $50-$60. It actually ended up being <$40!
3. Buses to Navy Pier, Northerly Island (and many other routes) are only a couple blocks from the hotel.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows - some only skylights. If that would bother you, I would make sure to ask...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Melissa G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is a really well run hotel. Great staff, not just at the front, but everywhere in the hotel. Everyone smiles and offers to help you. The room is small but well appointed with little details. Love the chilled water dispensers on each floor, the easy wi-fi connection, and the ability to print for free from your room. Lots of great seating throughout the ground floor and the downstairs that is inviting and well decorated. Makes you want to sit down and hang out. Snacks and coffee in the downstairs lounge area. The desk is really set up for a business traveller. I am coming back. The location and value cannot be beat. I worked downtown in Chicago for 5 years and this is a great value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Margaret H
Iasi, Romania
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel five days in June. The room was very clean, confortable bed and the coffee-maker in the room is perfect! You can also could drink an espresso in the business center on the lower floor (try it, it's very good!). The staf is very friendly (especialy the boys that are calling taxis). You can reach Magnificent Mile, Millenium Park and Buckingham Fontaine by foot and Art Institute it's only 3 min far from the hotel. It's quiet and safe. I had a problem with my credit card (charged twice) but they solved quickly. I really recomand this hotel!

Room Tip: I stayed at five floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cristina c
Ladue, Missouri
Reviewed 11 July 2014

With a last minute business trip on my radar, my company booked me at this property for a one night stay this past week. I must say, in my 40 or more years of traveling, I've never seen a hotel in which they had electronic kiosk's in the lobby for "self serve" check-in! For a boutique style property, I found this a bit strange. Of course, they're were employees there as well but I had to go out of my way in order fine one to assist me with the check-in process. They also offer a nice-well equipped business center on the lower floor of which also has snacks, coffee and soft drinks for the hotel guests. It's a nice touch. I did however find it annoying that it took about six minutes for the elevator to arrive to the lobby level in order to take me to my rooms floor. Also, I still can't figure out why the single dinning facility restaurant at the property has a "card entry door lock" for re-entering the hotel's small lobby! You can go into the restaurant from the lobby un restricted but when trying to get back in the lobby, you are locked out! Very-very bazaar, in my opinion. Also, when I arrived at the facility after having gotten out of the taxi, the three door men just looked at me, clearly just staring at me as if to say "who in the neck or you" on their minds and NEVER offered me any assistance whatsoever with my bags or with the hotel entry door. That too was quite odd to me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David W
Grand Rapids, MIchigan
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel a few weeks back and I have to say the staff was excellent! Friendly and knowledgeable about the city! Lisa sent me to an Italian place, Trattoria for dinner and it could not have been better! Definitely recommend this hotel if you're looking for something centrally located. It's near everything, the staff is friendly and you get free water bottles!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert G
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I recently went to Chicago on a business trip and had the pleasure of staying at the Central Loop Hotel, which was only about 2 blocks from the site of my business meeting. First, the hotel is only a few blocks from the Quincy EL station. I rode the train from Midway to Quincy, arriving at almost 1:30 a.m., and felt perfectly safe walking to the hotel. The hotel is small, but nice. The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable. They also have a central drinking water station on each floor where you can refill the supplied water bottles with cold water, which is very nice. You are only a block from Starbucks, McDonalds and a drugstore, and good restaurants are nearby. It is about a 20 minute walk to the Field Museum.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Central Loop Hotel is a great little hotel located in a perfect location for a Chicago get away. Within walking distance to Navy Pier, the Magnificent Mile, Willis Tower, Union Station, and all the CTA lines, you can 't get much better! The rooms might be a bit on the small side but not as tiny as I was expecting based upon the tripadvisor reviews. The entire hotel is very clean and the staff is amazing. Justin at the front desk was so polite and helpful, I just can't say enough nice things about him. Check in is a breeze and the staff are more than willing to help. They offer many free amenities (use of IPads, yoga equiptment and stationary bikes brought to your room among others, free refill purified water stations and bottles). I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends