“cannot reach anyone to cancel the reservation!!”
Review of Ohio House Motel

Ohio House Motel
Ranked #122 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
San Diego, California
“cannot reach anyone to cancel the reservation!!”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Warning - do not book this hotel - you will not be able to reach anyone to cancel the reservation!! As soon as you call them and tell them you want to cancel, they hang up or put you on indefinite hold!!

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
lmanager, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Thank you for staying at The Ohio House Motel while visiting Chicago. The motel is currently under new ownership and mangement. We continue to learn more from our values guests such as yourself, that our PBX system has some limitations. We are deeply sorry that we kept you on hold for an extended period of time. Due to high demand and to better serve our guests we are currently committed to upgrading our PBX system as we will be using an e-mail response in the interm. Thank you.
Larry James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Bielefeld, Germany
Reviewed 20 April 2011

No good for fans of hygiene, I wished I had taken towels with me etc. The doors do not make u feel, your staff would not be stolen within minutes, internet is only working in the rooms, which are in front of the house, not in the backyard rooms, it is possible to find something better and cleaner for acceptable price

Stayed April 2011
lmanager, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you for taking time to inform us of your stay. We are deeply sorry if we did not meet your requirements during the time that you were here. As General Manager of The Ohio House Motel I can assure our guests that their security is first and foremost! Our rooms are inspected daily with any issues being reported to me for immediate followup.

Since we are under new management, we are in the process of upgrading all of our bedding and linen that will assure our guests a clean and comfortable stay. Thank you.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 27 January 2011

A friend and I stayed here while in town for a conference and extended sight seeing trip. The location was within walking distance from the train and plenty of restaurants around it. Including the cute little diner, which is a part of the property. There was a fabulous pizza place nearby and Japanese restaurant right around the corner. Not to mention the famous R Kelly McDonalds across from it... lol.

Listen this is a basic motel located a stones throw from way more expensive places. When I come to places like this, its not to stay in the room all day. I'm out exploring and enjoying the city. Plus its better than handing over your money to some faceless corporate chain. Enjoy your stay, I know I did. : )

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank urbanpeep
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, 28 November 2016
Thank you so much for your review of The Ohio House Motel. It sounds like you really enjoyed our neighborhood and took advantage of all that it had to offer! You really can walk to everything from here. I hope that you enjoyed your time here in Chicago, and that we can welcome you back sometime soon.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Besides the huge advantage of free parking in downtown Chicago, this is a great deal. This hotel is a newly-renovated economy motel; nothing more. Expecting anymore is unrealistic. Secondly, the location is perhaps the best in downtown Chicago. Walking distance to everything. It is what it is. It has improved greatly from what it used to be. Disregard the negative reviews; they obviously had unrealistic expectations, but of course had no problem paying the low price.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dirk S
Thank you for your excellent review of The Ohio House Motel! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We truly appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that it will be passed along to the appropriate departments. Please come back and see us again sometime!
Velp, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The Ohio House Motel is probably the cheapest place to stay in downtown Chicago. Expect little. Sleep OK. Not a place to work, relax and spend a full working week. A single night, in and out is OK.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest. I appreciate your positive feedback about our hotel. We do take pride in catering to our guests’ needs the best way we can. If you’re traveling to our area gain soon, don’t hesitate to call us.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We booked a double queen room which came with 2 beds, a desk and chair, a tv and a bathroom with shower. We got a room on the ground floor. The motel is divided into blocks which each have a main door with keycard entry and then card entry for your own room.

I have to be careful with this review, because I don't want to give the impression this is a terrible hotel - it's just very basic, with a few quirks.

The pros:
Very central location - you're right in central chicago, near to tube stops, places to eat and drink, you're about a half hour walk to most main visitor attractions
It's cheap - compared to a double room in other nearby hotels, this was around $50 cheaper per night
It's clean - not the most modern of rooms, but certainly kept to a good level of cleanliness

The cons:
The location - chicago is a noisy bustling city, which can mean that on the bottom floor of a small motel, in a downtown location, you feel a bit exposed
The room decor - very old fashioned and rather cheap giving it a run down feel
The overall finish of the hotel - yes, it's a basic cheap motel but, I do expect the key card you've given me to work (and not to mean I've got to go into the block next door, walk upstairs, along the balcony and down the stairs in my block to gain access to my room), I also expect the coffee machine and the tv in my room to work first time, and I don't expect the staff to be repainting the car park everyday.

There was wifi, but it was sketchy and there wasn't any laundry facilities.

As I say, overall, for the money it wasn't a terrible place to stay, and if you can put up with a few glitches then it's fine.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank teafour2
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I assure you that this has been addressed by proper management. We truly appreciate your feedback!
Iowa
Reviewed 16 October 2010

We didn't interact with the staff much. The housekeepers did a fantastic job with the room. The best service we received was from the lady at the desk during check out. The room was no more than we needed: a bed and a bathroom and a television. We could have used a refrigerator for some leftover food but this wasn't a big deal to us. I can't say enough about the location for the price, within walking distance (if you like walking) of the Loop and Michigan Avenue, CMA stations and water taxis. The backside of the motel faces a parking lot and a nightclub across the street. The nightclub was pretty noisy on Saturday night. The free wi-fi was a nice amenity though we didn't get a strong enough signal to connect from our room.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to share a bit about your experience here at The Ohio House Motel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Chicago, and that your guest room was a comfortable place for you to relax and refresh. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back sometime soon!