“Great Cheap Stay!”

Ranked #123 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Rockford, IL
“Great Cheap Stay!”
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My sister and I went to Chicago on whim on the weekend, just to get away from everyday life. We went to the Cultural Center, asked for cheap places to stay in the heart of the city, and this is one of the few options they gave us. We LOVED our stay here. It was simple, cheap, and right next to everything you would need to have fun in Chicago. There was really nothing grand about it, but it's really all you need. Gives you a place to rest your head, park your car, and not have to worry about anything but having fun, which is what we had came to do. Thanks Ohio Motel for making our stay in Chicago that much better! We will defiantly be back!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, 30 November 2016
Dear Guest. I appreciate your positive feedback about our hotel. We do take pride in catering to our guests’ needs the best way we can. If you’re traveling to our area gain soon, don’t hesitate to call us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2009

motel with ground and first floor only. I was on the ground floor and discovered during my stay that my bedroom windows were unlocked. As a solo female traveller this was not comforting to me neither were the two locks and a chain on my door. I slept very little due to feeling unsafe and due to what sounded like a generator /machinery which i think was just under my room. This continued all night . They were unable to move me elsewhere. I was please to leave and I would not hurry back. Cheap compared to many other hotels etc in the area. May be better for male travellers or groups

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. I can assure you that you feedback has been received and passed along to the right departments. Thank you again for your feedback.
Leeds
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We stayed here two nights and didn't sleep either. There was a lot of comings and goings round the back with blasting steroes at 2am on a Monday morning which didn't help. The windows shook and it didn't feel particuatly safe.The hotel is basic, it's clean enough but didn't have the rustic charm others seem to think it has. What it does have is location, and you can't beat it for that. Very central and cheap with the free parking an added bonus. I wouldn't go back, but if you're on a budget then this place isn't the worst you could find. It has a cafe attached and is next to the McDonalds featured in the Eagle Eye movie next door which is handy for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I had read many reviews of this place and had mixed feelings. I booked anyway. I'm so glad I did! The room is an EXCELLENT value when compared to the other hotels. For example, the Best Western across the street was over $270.00 per night. I stayed in room 117 and it cost me with taxes 138.00. The room was very, very clean, but small and very few amenities. The room is only good for bathing, and sleeping which is all I need. I posted some images as well. The hotel is right on the corner of Ohio and N. LaSalle St. Across LaSalle, and down about 1/2 block is an enormous, two story, absolutely incredible, 2-story McDonald (where we had breakfast) and free WiFi, Blues/Jazz Music, a lounge upstairs, and amazing views. The McD's is open 24 hours which seemed to cause problems for some but the McD is so far away, across a major 4 lane street, and about 1/2 way down the block and surrounded by trees it never bothered me. You gotta visit this place even if it's just for a cup of coffee -- well worh the visit. Across the street - the photo I show is out my room window, is a restaurant/bar. Some folks on this forum complained about noise but I experienced NONE. Maybe if your from Kansas and you are used to absolute quite it might be somewhat noisy but I heard nothing and I live in wooden suburbia. Absolutely no noise at all.
Check out the room images. Like I said, it's just for sleeping, but extremely clean I must say. The bed was kinda not soft, hard to explain but for me not a problem. Check out the images and feel free to contact me. Oh, if you go, about two blocks away is Gino's Deep Dish Pizza - a Chicago Original since 1966. The front desk recommended them and I'm so glad I went! Absolutely delicious and plenty of food.

• Stayed July 2009
Thank you so much for your review of The Ohio House Motel. It sounds like you really enjoyed our neighborhood and took advantage of all that it had to offer! You really can walk to everything from here. I hope that you enjoyed your time here in Chicago, and that we can welcome you back sometime soon.
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ohio House Motel in May when we met friends in Chicago for a Cubs game and mini college reunion. In many ways you get what you pay for at the Ohio House, it's clean, and basic. The towels are somewhat scratchy, and the furnishings somewhat dated, though I prefer to think of them as vintage. Staying at the Ohio House is a little like stepping back in time to the days when families traveled down Route 66 for vacations. That said, you wont find a better deal in downtown Chicago. The parking is free, and that was a huge plus for my husband and I as parking in the city can be very expensive. The staff is very helpful, and the restaurant has an amazing (and cheap!) breakfast, that really hits the spot after a long night out.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Thank you for your excellent review of The Ohio House Motel! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We truly appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that it will be passed along to the appropriate departments. Please come back and see us again sometime!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 25 April 2009

Good enough for what I needed. I didn't want anything fancy and overpriced. Stayed 7 nights with no problems. Not the greatest but it was fine, and I never saw any bugs. The people on the streets and car horns can get annoying though.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, 28 November 2016
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I assure you that this has been addressed by proper management. We truly appreciate your feedback!
Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2009

We had tickets to House of Blues one night and instead of paying too much for something we really didn't need we found this place. Honestly if you're staying directly downtown Chi-town what do you really need besides a bed and free parking. Room was in good shape, pretty much just a bed and dresser. Bathroom apparently was clean enough because one of the friends we went with got drunk and passed out while bathing.All in all good little find, everything downtown is in walking distance.

Make sure you go walk downtown late at night and watch rats the size of dogs play in the street.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends