“This might not be love at first sight but...”

Heart O' Chicago Motel
Ranked #142 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Ottawa, Canada
“This might not be love at first sight but...”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My motto for my stay at Heart o' Chicago would be «Dont worry, be happy». It is indeed a good motel for the money you pay. I was at this establishment for 5 nights as a base to visit Chicago. The welcome at the reception is not very warm but I got over it. The breakfast is ok: coffee and oatmeal is exactly what I eat in the morning at home. The size of the room is just about right. I did notice that the cleaning staff generously uses Febreeze which does camouflage other smells. I could not help thinking about the Febreeze commercial. The TV had about 15 channels but not CNN, Fox or MSNBC. The air conditioning went on and off at regular intervals and that took some time to get used to.
We left the car in the parking and used public transport during our stay. The neighborhood looks relatively safe. Going east, the lakeshore is about an half hour walk from the motel. To get downtown, we caught the number 22 bus going south on North Clark. This bus goes by Wrigley field stadium. You can also catch the Blue Man Group show at the corner of N. Halstead. Bus fare was $2.50 but it is more practical to buy a buspass at a local Walgreen. As far as food is concerned, there are a few local options withing walking distance. There is a White Castle burger joint at the corner of N. Clark and N. Ridge. On the opposite side of the street, behind a metal fence is a Filipino store called Unimart. During the day, until 7pm, they serve warm food, cafeteria style. If you want something a little bit more fancy, you will find, walking south from Unimart on N. Clark, a family restaurant called En-Thai-ce Rice and Noodle, which offers a nice variety of Thai dishes at a reasonable price.
Lastly, be nice and always remember to leave one or two dollars on the bed for the cleaning staff. ;)

Room Tip: If you book by telephone, ask for a first floor room if you dont want to walk up stairs...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ParosMan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
South Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I have stayed at this motel several times over the years and most recently last week. When I visit Chicago I usually meet a friend and we spend the night hitting the clubs in the Halstead street area. We have been staying at this motel not because it is anything fancy but because of it's location and it is one of the most economical we could find in this area. The rooms are clean and adequate but the property is dated. On our last stay the lock on our door was difficult to operate and needed some repair. Make sure you bring your own toiletries because they offer very little. This is a high traffic area and we have never had any security problems. They do offer a free continental breakfast and free wifi which is nice. I do believe that they rent rooms by the week to locals however. On our last visit while having coffee in the breakfast room, a scruffy gentleman came into the counter to pay his rent. He was overheard complaining about one of the motel staff members and making somewhat threatening remarks. For our purposes, this hotel is fine since all we are looking for is a clean economical option where we can spend the night.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank funintheflsun
Vandalia, Illinois
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Family owned Motel takes you back in time to the 1950's or 60's. It's a very well kept place and Clean. You open the door and you can smell the use of bleach and pledge. It's not overwhelming but it's very clean. The paneling has been painted but the look is a back in time experience our bathroom was all yellow the retro look for today. yellow tile, tub, sink with stainless steel legs...Like I said it was CLEAN.. The carpets are indoor/outdoor and very clean. The bed was comfy. (Sorry No Pool) You'll see that it's the older crowd that stay there (people in there 50's and up). Your away from the highway so the noise is minimal. Being in Chicago it's not in a scarey part of town and is a safe place to stay. We were there for the Paul McCartney Concert at Wrigley so we saw alot of the younger crowd (50 years and up) The air cond. was inside and control on the wall but it was cool. Outside the temp was a heat index of 105 and the room was 72 and we could've turned it down if we wanted. I was totally amazed with the cleanliness and the up keep Retro but Very Nice. Wish I had pictures to show you.

Room Tip: The Motel was booked and we had a ground floor but didn't hear any noises from above.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizaJaneSmile
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I don't understand everyone bad-mouthing the free breakfast. The fruit, oatmeal, donuts, coffee, and juice are standard "continental breakfast" fare, which you will receive at most of the hotels in the area, including the $300/night hotels.

Anyway, my boyfriend and I found this gem while I was searching for hotels within the city limits that wouldn't require us to apply for a second mortgage. Heart O'Chicago is located on the north side, in a quaint neighborhood called "Andersonville". The neighborhood is full of Scandinavian immigrants, and there are lots of shops and bakeries to reflect this culture. (If you want a full breakfast that packs on the calories, try Ann Sather's on Clark St.)

The hotel's location couldn't be better. Walk to one corner, and you can hop aboard the Clark St bus. This bus takes you to Wrigley, the alternative shops on Belmont, Giordano's, and all the way downtown if you're patient. If you walk to the other corner, you can catch the Peterson bus to the Bryn Mawr Red Line stop. The Red Line will take you downtown much faster (and, like the Clark bus, drops you off a mere half-block from Wrigley). You can transfer to every El line using the Red line; it's one of the most popular lines and will bring you a short walk (or bus ride) away from most of Chicago's main attractions.

The hotel itself offers free parking, which is almost unheard of for Chicago hotels. Sometimes, the lot gets full and they have to double-park guests, so watch for that on busy weekends. It's mostly due to guests having more than one vehicle per room, as the parking lot has enough spaces for each room.

Along with the free breakfast and free parking, you get free wireless internet. Sometimes it's a little spotty, depending on which room you're in and how many people are using it, but this isn't exactly a business traveler hotel. Also, who goes to Chicago, only to spend hours on Facebook?

The room was the cleanest room I've ever stayed in. It smelled fresh and sanitized. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was hot with good water pressure. It wasn't the fanciest room, but who cares. When you go to Chicago and spend all day and night at attractions and restaurants, all you need is a bed to sleep in and a shower in the morning. For $80, it really couldn't be beat.

I made my reservation over the phone, and the rate was cheaper than the online rates. The gentleman was very nice, repeated all of my information, and gave me a confirmation number. When we arrived, he had it written in a ledger, just like the old days before computers. We thought it was charming.

Also, I have to admit... the sign sold us. The entire place reminded us of some 1950s hotel in Vegas. If you're into kitschy charm and the retro lifestyle, definitely book this place. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sarah Z
yonkers
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Came in to Chicago from NY to catch the Yankee game at Wrigley. I booked this place in May because of the price and it is near the area my family is at. We checked in on Thursday the 16th of June and the gentleman at the front desk was not able to find my reservation, I knew there would be some kind of trouble since they put reservations in a notebook After a few minutes he found the reservation and we went to the room and it was very clean. Its a old motel and did not expect the Hilton but it was not a bad place. It was very full but the place was quiet, There is also a nice little Irish bar across the street and a short walk to bus to Wrigley. The girl at check out was rude however, needs to take some courses in manners. Housekeeping staff is very friendly.Not a bad stay at all and the Yankees won 2 out of 3 games ! I will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not near the street
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank yanks198
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My boyfriend and I decided that we would take a vacation and follow the Yankees for 2 weeks and catch 14 ballgames. After a week in NY, we came to chicago for 3 nights. Reviews from this website said it was clean, and knowing we would only be in the room to sleep, that was the important thing. The hotel was cheap compared to all the others that wanted several hundred a night. (After taxes I think it was around 80 a night.) We booked the hotel for Thurs. Fri. and Sat nights. When we got to the hotel, after a 13 hour drive from NY, it was about 7 am Fri morning and the desk clerk could not find our reservation! Finally he found it but it had been cancelled since the man I spoke with over the phone wrote down one credit card number too few. I was worried because the lot was almost full and I wasnt sure that we would be able to get a room. The man was very nice and with no problem fixed the reservation and gave us a room. He even took off the Thursday night charge and just put us as an early check in Friday morning! The hotel was about 3 miles from Wrigley Stadium so we made the walk. However there is a bus stop not even a block away and it will take you right to the stadium for 2.50 each person. Downtown is just about 20-30 min away, due to traffic, and there is so much within walking distance. The hotel offered free parking and continental breakfast (Cereal, fruit, doughnuts, and muffins. Milk, Juice and coffee) which in Chicago is definately a $ saver. The hotel needs some updates for sure, but it was very clean and odor free. The water pressure in the shower was great. Also, several reviews that I read said that they had a problem getting on the internet. We had no problems at all. There is a security password that you have to enter but we called to the desk and the staff was very friendly and told us how to get online.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tds9701
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed at the Heart O' Chicago on a Saturday night because we had to be up early Sunday morning for an activity at Montrose Beach and our daughter lives in Andersonville. Easily booked a room over the phone. Good location near Clark, Ashland, and Broadway. Staff was friendly. Good basic continental breakfast. Room was very clean. Easy checkout. Nothing fancy, very glad we stayed.

Room Tip: Book ahead and request a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rrely
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Rogers Park
Lincoln Park
Inn at Lincoln Park
Inn at Lincoln Park
#147 of 189 in Chicago

Been to Heart O' Chicago Motel? Share your experiences!