“Love this place”

Heart O' Chicago Motel
Ranked #145 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was in chicago to see the White Sox and the Cubs play.
I was a little nervous about this place, but once I checked in and saw my room, it was fine.

The guy that checked us in, was very friendly and funny. Made jokes with us the whole time. When we got to our room it was clean and comfortable. Fluffly pillows. No problems with noise or anything.
The wifi worked fine, and so did the A/C. The only problem we had I believe was the tv, I think we only got like 2 channels. But I was asleep as soon as I got back so I didn't care, and my boyfriend was happy to watch whatever.

The bathroom was pink which I found hilarious. It was this cute little retro motel.
I had no problem getting to US Cellular Field, or Wrigley Field. I drove to both. Very easy to get to with a gps and a nice drive. Chicago is a beautiful city.

Would for sure come back and stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jordan R

Reviewed 19 August 2012

My family friends and I had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in this hotel. To begin with the first room we were given didn't have air conditioning - it was broken. The next room they gave us the air conditioning wasn't much better. The room was average, but the price and location was good, so we decided to put up with another air conditioning unit that wasn't working. We basically weren't able to sleep because it was so warm in the room and opening the windows gave little relief. My friends came here on my advice and had requested a non smoking unit for health reason. Their room had such a strong stench of smoke and when we went back to the manager, he said , in a very irritated manner, that he could not be responsible for what people do in the room. We also explained that the outlets weren't working in their room, to which he replied, "If you keep bothering me, I will have to ask you to leave." Now I realize the price and location were good, but I don't think that makes up for discourteous behavior. We asked nicely for the problems to be fixed and were made to feel as if we were problem customers. If there weren't any problems, we wouldn't have had to speak to him, but there were. Courteousness and respect is essential to me when I deal with any company. No matter how inexpensive the hotel is, it is not worth putting up with the manager. Heart O' Chicago isn't the only inexpensive and well located hotel in Chicago and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Wolfman47
Reviewed 30 July 2012

If budget is your primary concern, this is the place for you. When in Chicago, I usually stay at Days Inn Chicago on Diversey & Clark (better location than Heart), but they were completely booked. We stayed between July 3 - 10, 2012. Having read several reviews for various places near to Halstead & Clark, I decided to take a chance on Heart. My only regret is the distance factor: you really need to give yourself PLENTY of time (at least a good 45 min) to get to the museums (like Field & Shedd Aquarium) &/or any other main tourist places. Even though the 22 Bus which runs all night long on Clark is reliable daytime, you really need to wait as long as 45 min after midnight. So plan your nightlife activities accordingly. Be prepared to take a good 15 min walk to the "L" (subway) Red Line. I recall the Thornton (sp?) is the closest station, but consult your map/GPS... A HUGE THANK-YOU TO "ZONE" (Yes, that is his name!) for providing coupons, maps, etc. When he ran the front desk, he went out of his way to help us. I didn't have any negative experiences with staff, but I was prepared for poor attitude based on reviews I read. I simply avoided questions on getting around the city (Zone was an exception!) since I assumed that they lack the know-how on informing customers. My son & I first stayed in a room our 1st night on bottom floor near office which had good WiFi and an ok range of channels (including 2 retro stations which played "Night Gallery"--A first for my son!) Zone helped us transition to the top floor in the corner nearest to the office for the remaining 6 nights--we needed two beds. Zone was helpful & honest enough to let us try this corner room to ensure the WiFi would reach that far. WiFi worked great! Only drawback: we lost the 2 retro tv stations! No bother. We stayed!

Room Tip: My son & I first stayed in a room our 1st night on bottom floor near office which had good WiFi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Quesillo
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed here on arrival in Chicago. The place is a little out of town but probably one of the cheapest places you will find. It was decent enough for the money as long as you don't expect luxury, the bed was comfy enough, the bathroom was passable. The electrics were a little bit ropey but I guess they call that 'character'... all in all, if you need a bed for the night on a budget it does a job!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kalbrau
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night to watch a show at Wrigley Field. It was a basic, very clean, inexpensive, free parking with a free no frill breakfest motel. I read that the AC could be loud so I brought a fan. No hairdryer and only small bar soap is provided. Very close to Vietnamese/Chinatown on Argyle and Broadway. Also close to several authentic Korean BBQ restaurants with real charcoal grills. No fridge, so we brought a cooler and they have a ice machine. They still have smoking rooms. Outside noise was not a problem from our room and this was a warm friday night with several events going around the city. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed here in April 2012 and was not very satisfied with the front desk or my room.
I booked a room for 2 nights and was quoted a price. When checking out the price was different. I also booked a room with a king sized bed and upon entering the room found a full size bed. The exterior door seals were non existent. Spiders in the room.
I definately will stay elsewhere when I return to Chicago next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

If you're looking for a cute little place in a charming area, this isn't it. It's a clean, no-frills motor hotel on a busy street, across from a body shop, with a desk clerk behind safety glass after dark. It's close to Andersonville but doesn't feel like Andersonville. (It's actually Edgewater.) The rooms are basic but well-maintained.

A decent option if you're on a budget and just need a bed or a base to explore the city. It's on a bus line. Free parking, which is not the norm in Chicago.

Main drawback is the street noise. A white noise device came in very handy.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple