“Very good motel with good city centre train access”

Heart O' Chicago Motel
Ranked #143 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 2 February 2014

It took me a good while to research a motel far away enough from Chicago to have a satisfactory rate yet have good access to a train station for easy travel to the city centre. This is the one I settled on for three nights.

The entrance is on a road with the usual and divided 2 lane carriageways that you cannot cross and close to a junction. Consequently you may want to study something like Google maps/Streetview to get your bearings as getting may cause you some frustration. There was plenty of parking available during my visit. Parking was free.

The room was clean with no smells or unwanted creatures. The air conditioning worked well. There was no tea/coffee making facility but that’s not the end of the world for me. The bathroom was very neat and clean, recently decorated and in an attractive retro décor.
There is a separate breakfast room and vending machines off the main reception. Breakfast was adequate and mostly composed of sugar.

I came across two reception men. Both were polite, friendly and helpful.

A couple of small criticisms. The window had no net curtain so there a lack of privacy during daylight hours when I wanted the curtain open. And the TV remote was secured to the bedside table, which defeated the purpose of it somewhat as I couldn’t use it whilst working at the desk on my laptop. Every tourist in the USA knows that US TV is unwatchable without a remote to hand both to silence the relentless ads, and to surf through the ads trying to find something to watch.

I had no problems with the local area. I walked from the train station to the motel after dark and never felt any threat.

Now the train station bit. Turn right out of the hotel and down to a major intersection. Cross over and find a small side road – W Thorndale Ave to the left of the small park. It’s a quiet shady tree-lined road. Follow, across a junction, and you will see the bridge ahead with Thorndale Station under it. It’s about 15 to 20 mins walk give or take, at short fat legs speed. The station has no elevators, if that’s a problem for anybody. Working out how much a ticket cost was not intuitive. For me it was $2.50 [as were most tickets] to State/Lake and the journey time was around 30 mins. You will pass and stop near to the Cubs stadium, if you want to visit, or at least tell your friends that you saw it.

This was a motel that I would happily stay at again. And I did, a week later when a change of plan brought me back to Chicago. I stayed here for two nights. The room was as pleasant as the first one.

I don’t pay for affordable accommodation then compare it to a Hilton/Marriot and complain at the differences.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
11  Thank MichaelE-England
There are newer reviews for Heart O' Chicago Motel

Reviewed 13 August 2013

In a shady part of Chicago, comes an even shadier motel that doesn't even bother to spell out all the words. "Heart O' Chicago" I mean, serioulsly, would it have been that much harder to add an "f" to the word "of"? In a room with only 2 towels, and no extra covers at all, you will be amazed by the bathroom straight from the 60's! Witnesss yourself getting no sleep as you lay there all night, hearing shady things outside your door. When you turn on the T.V. be shocked by the channel selection. I mean, what place doesn't have CBS,ABC, or NBC? Wake up the next morning not feeling refreshed, and try your best to smile though the breakfast selcetion. Starring:prepackaged muffins, 2 kinds of ceral, and microwave oatmeal. Dang ,they must of broke the bank on the breakfast budget!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Elliott M
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed here for two nights while visiting Northwestern University with my son. This is exactly what you hope for in a hotel: decently comfortable beds, a television, air conditioning and locking doors and windows. It's clean - I didn't smell smoking or anything else. Reasonably quiet at night. The person at the front desk was friendly and efficient.

The neighborhood is great and the location affords easy access to all parts of Chicago either by driving or on the subway.

I so appreciated having somewhere affordable to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Wendy J
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The guy running it was so lovely! But I guess it's not the motels fault it's in a shabby area. I was travelling with my Dad and he was kept awake all night with the goings on in the room beside him, culminating in armed assault, police, the whole works. We left the next day only to find that maybe this was just a 'Chicago' thing.
The rooms were clean, but dated.
Keep that latch on the door at night, you never know whose going to kick it in!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank megantravels_13
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed her for 4 nights. Its a basic motel no extras except free parking (thank goodness!) The man that checked us in took was friendly and nice. Appreciated the mattress covers to keep bed bugs away. Breakfast was cold ceral, donuts, muffins,oatmeal packages, o.j, coffee and whole milk. I just wish there was a fridge in the room...

2  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 22 July 2013

After reading other reviews and searching for a reasonably priced hotel in the area we decided to stay here. My experience was just what I expected for the price. This Hotel/Motel was $60-$70 cheaper than anything else we could find near Wrigley Field. Plus, there was free parking! We knew that we weren't going to be hanging out at the hotel all day, and would only be there to sleep and shower. So, to have an affordable, clean room, with free parking only a 15 to 20 minute bus ride from Wrigley was fantastic.The front desk staff was courteous to us, and the free continental breakfast was a nice bonus.

Bottom line: If you are looking for an affordable, clean, place to sleep fairly close to Wrigley, in a nice neighborhood, then this is your place. If you aren't planning on exploring the city, and are looking for a place to relax with your family during the day, then this might not be the hotel for you. But, for me it was the perfect option.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank gsmith463
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I wouldn't recommend this motel unless you're a smoker. They didn't have any non-smoking rooms and everything stunk.

If you can get beyond the smell of smoke, it's a great location, within walking distance of both the Thorndale & Bryn Mawr L lines and the restaurants and shops in Andersonville. We were able to walk almost everywhere and when we needed a cab ride, it was only about $20 with tip.

Room Tip: Get a 2nd floor room if possible. We weren't able to crack the window to freshen up the room be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shelly S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Rogers Park
Rodeway Inn Chicago
#159 of 191 in Chicago
House 5863 Bed & Breakfast
#19 of 22 in Chicago

Been to Heart O' Chicago Motel? Share your experiences!