“A great place to rest your head and beat the Chicago Hotel Prices!”

Heart O' Chicago Motel
Ranked #145 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 13 July 2007

My wife and I stayed in the Heart O Chicago Motel so we could look for apartments. It was the perfect place to stay for us simply because it had free wireless internet so we could look for apartments online, and a CTA bus stop that is right in front of the motel that takes you directly to the bryn mawr red line stop. There isn't anything special about this place at all other than that it is clean, cheap and a safe place to stay. Also the staff was very nice and helpful. The motel offers probably the best continental breakfast that I've ever had. It consists of dunkin' doughnuts, otis spunkmeyer muffins, orange juice, coffee.... basically as simple as you can get. We both really enjoyed our time hear and it served its purpose.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank j0nnyappleseed000

Reviewed 14 June 2007

Great little place! Clean, old, but nice for the price! We will go back!

Took the Red Line to Addison and the Cubs game and then on to Bryn Mar. There is a bus that runs right by the Motel if you get there before 10 p.m. but they start back up at 6 am! This is how to enjoy Chicago on a budget! We stayed to late at the game and walked to the motel. Not too bad of a neighborhood, nor too long of a walk.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2007

This was our first stay in Chicago. When I was looking for hotels, the prices were unbelievable and some of the reviews for these high price hotels were worse. I am so thankful for the reviews on Heart O'Chicago because I was not disappointed. This two-night stay was great. The motel is retro--yellow everywhere! The breakfast was adequate for us--fresh apples, coffee, and a gigantic muffin. The bed was comfy and everything was clean. We paid $77.00 per night and understand this was a great bargain. We fell in love with Chicago--what a great city--it seems safe and the ride down Lake Shore Drive is priceless. We did the boat tour showing the different buildings and history of Chicago, we toured Moody Bible Institute and the Pacific Gardens Mission. The Millenium Park is beautiful. We were very pleased and hope to return someday.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank danbarbcar
Reviewed 21 September 2006

We just came back from a long weekend in Chicago, spending 3 nights at this hotel. I chose this hotel from the reviews on this board. Well, I was not disappointed at all. Actually, it went beyond my expectation. When I called to book the room, I asked for the one upstairs away from the street. I got room 206. I did not hear any street sound at night. What surprised me was that they changed my bed sheets and pillow cases everyday. There was no need for that for the price of $74 a night but I did not complain. The room was very clean, no smell even though it is not a brand new hotel. We felt safe walking around at night. Clark Street is a very busy thoroughfare. We got 3-day pass and it was worth the $12 we paid for. We used it from Midway to the hotel and the whole weekend on all our transportation needs.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ggg5312
Reviewed 21 June 2006

For the past five years I have gone to the Taste of Chicago and stayed at this hotel with NO problems. Its nice, safe and above all its CLEAN. It offers a simple place for you to rest your head where you dont have to worry about someone breaking into your car at night. The overnight check in is located at the one and only entry/exit so they keep an eye on everything going on. Book early the rooms fill up quickly.

• Stayed: July 2002
1  Thank Mrbogok
Reviewed 20 June 2006

We stayed in this motel in July 2005, at the peak of the busy travel season in the US. When we booked the motel, we read other Trip Advisor reviews and were expecting a no-frills but clean and decent motel at a great price. That's exactly what we got. I gave it 4 stars not because of how fabulous it is, but because it is a fabulous value. Sure, the place is dated and is nothing fancy; sure, you get a single dougnut for your 'continental breakfast.' But if you would rather save a few bucks and use it for the rest of your trip, it's well worth a stay at the Heart.

One point worth mentioning - I'm not so sure this place would have been as convenient if we weren't driving a car. It is NOT downtown proper, and although there is of course public transportation, it's not always the most convenient option. Bottom line: if we had a car in Chicago next time we visit we would stay here again, but if we were on foot, we might look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank american_girl_abroad
A TripAdvisor Member
glenview, IL
Reviewed 16 April 2006

I'm a wheelchaired patron and I found this hotel uniquely accessable given it's size and age. I have personally written to the ADA commenting on how well they caitered to my needs. The rates were reasonable, and the retro atmosphere kept me amused between the nights.

Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Rogers Park
Lakeview
Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel
Rodeway Inn Chicago
#159 of 192 in Chicago

Been to Heart O' Chicago Motel? Share your experiences!