“Clean, neat, as expected from web. A great value, great service.”

Heart O' Chicago Motel
Ranked #142 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Woburn, Massachusetts
“Clean, neat, as expected from web. A great value, great service.”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Dad and I wanted to take a train from Boston to Chicago and stay on the train. We weren't looking for anything special, just a clean room for two nights and good accomodations for a fair price. A pleasant surprise was the complimentary coffee and continental breakfast with restaurant like seating. Nce way to start the day. See Wrigley & the Architectural River Tour -we did and loved it! Drank from bubbler in Cubs dugout wearing my Red Sox game jersey! lol Can't go wrong at this place, especially for the money. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Joe from Boston

• Stayed July 2010
3 Thank lifeizcool

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I had high hopes for this place. $80, I figured, was a decent price for a hotel in Uptown Chicago. I should have paid thirty more for a much better place.

The desk clerks were beyond rude, one of whom was oblivious to my presence for a little over four minutes. The clerk upon check-in was much worse, treating me with all sorts of unprovoked contempt.

Rooms were adequate, though hardly nice.

Complimentary breakfast included store-bought doughnuts and weak, sub-Folgers coffee.

The motel, to end, is difficult to access by car and parking, though free, is limited. If it's full, you might not find parking within its "fortress."

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JasonHunter28

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Lawrenceburg, IN
Reviewed 7 August 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Heart during a weekend trip to Chicago and were pleased. Obviously, you pay for what you get and the hotel was on the cheap side so we didn't expect much, but we got what we paid for: a clean place to rest our heads at night and shower for a day out on the town! We were very happy with the service at the front desk as well. I read a lot of reviews on the Heart before we came (I use TripAdvisor before EVERY trip) and was shocked to see some of the reviews on the terrible service at the front desk that some had received, but we were very pleased with the service that we received. The elderly man at the front desk was very kind and informative when we asked about public transit which, by the way, is very easy to get to from the hotel(another reason we chose to stay at the Heart, we had planned on going out drinking and didn't want to drive our car back).
Overall, comfortable, cheap, clean. Met all the expectations of two laid-back 23 year olds :)
Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leahbauer
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Takes you back in time to another era,but doesn't make for a bad place to get some sleep. Rooms were small but very clean.After paying $25 to park at Navy Pier we were open to value and free parking. We stayed here and took the 22 bus to Wrigley-SO Easy. Mgmt was accommodating and helpful.Breakfast was good cereal, donuts,fruit,oatmeal, muffins and juice.They had free wi fi too, so the 10th channel tv doesn't matter. Save your money for other things in the city and take a break here.

• Stayed April 2010
2 Thank glamkat17
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 June 2010

The night clerk language was abusive and we had to leave after we were threatened. Be aware that there is double parking in the lot and that you will be awakened if you need to move your car. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dlc2010
cincinnati ohio
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Heart of Chicago continues to be a great little inexpensive place to rest for a trip to chitown. Just steps to Clark St. to catch a bus or a 10min walk to the EL stop (BrynMar) Which over the years has become a less scary area. I would still hesitate to walk it alone at night but with a group of friends I don't think its an issue. The motel is located just off Clark St. directly between Andersonville and Rogers Park. Andersonville in the 23yrs I've been staying at HOC has become a vibrant diverse mecca of old timer Sweedish and more recently arrived gay and DINKy types. The neighbord is clean well lit and full of things to do and eat. Right at the point where Ashland meets Clark there is a Mexican Bakery that is just awsome. Just south on Clark is Sweedish Bakery and the famous Ann Sather is just a block or so further south on Clark. Inbetween are an array of sushi, mediterranian, latin american and american places to pick from to eat and a wonderful potpouri of shops.

The Heart of Chicago staff is for the most part wonderfully friendly and helpful. Don in the evenings and Javed on day shift are always ready to give advise on where or how to get somewhere.. If they don't know they will usually find the answer. There is a relatively recent arrival. A younger lady who needs to work on her customer service skills and demeanor a bit. She comes of curt and gives the impression she really would rather be somewhere else. Hopefully that can be taken care of by management. Not something that some corrective guidance couldn't solve very easily. That said I will continue to come back. I had read other complaints here about inconsistent internet service... There are outdoor routers and 3 bands to get the wirless but connection was spotty at best. This needs to be corrected... I If I had needed to do business work in the romm I would have been very upset..

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaBicha
London
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Stayed here for a few nights on a trip to Chicago to catch up with some friends who lived nearby. They did offer for me to stay with them, but I didn't want to impose.

This is exactly what it looks like from the outside. A tired, worn [--] motel, that's it... what you see is very much what you get. I am not complaining - service was friendly and efficient, buffet breakfast was basic but OK, room was dated but clean enough, bathroom tired but again no complaints at all about cleanliness. WiFi internet intermittent and crashes from time to time.

Bed was comfortable enough, a little noisy from the traffic (close to a busy intersection), but with just the right amount of alcohol that's not a problem.

It does offer one thing, again which is obvious from outside - low cost, discreet privacy. If that's what you want, this ticks all the boxes. Wonderfully trashy. There wasn't a 5 star box to tick for that, in which case it would get full marks.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank Bunkerbuster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Rogers Park
Lincoln Park
Inn at Lincoln Park
Inn at Lincoln Park
#146 of 189 in Chicago

Been to Heart O' Chicago Motel? Share your experiences!