“DON'T EXPECT PROFESSIONALISM.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Belair Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Belair Hotel
Ranked #163 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“DON'T EXPECT PROFESSIONALISM.”
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I am presently a tenant and am presently witnessing a lack of professionalism from the Manager (Dovie Williams) as well as the Owner ( Mr. Windmiller). I had a drug addicted alcoholic knock on my door in the middle of the night. I tried to communicate my problem to the owner by leaving a letter in his box. He did not respond. When I called him he said that he did want to deal with me and hang the phone in my face.
**This place is a dump. The water for the entire building is turn off at least once a week patch up their archaic plumbing.
**The water isnt good enough to brush your teeth with!
**They charge $87 a night but there is no TV in the rooms.(They will rent you one though.)
**There is no cable.
**Don't use the Hotel room phones because clerks listen to your phone calls.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank themosthated

sewanee, tn
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I moved to this hotel, after having a bad experience with a local hostel. My husband was a patient at St. Joseph's Hospital, and the Belair is only about 2 blocks away. It's an old hotel, but I found it to be comfortable and clean. I stayed in one of their overnight rooms, which had double bed, air conditioning, TV, and phone. These rent for $75/night. They also have rooms on a weekly or monthly basis, but these rooms lack TV and air conditioning. At $170-213/ week, they are a good deal, if you bring a fan. I think you can also pay a little extra for a fridge and microwave.

The staff at the Belair were really nice, and the location, right next to Lincoln Park, was excellent.

• Liked — Location, price, friendly staff
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank tickbush
chicago
Reviewed 30 October 2007

I only stayed there because the other short term choices did not have private baths. The best I can say about the Belair is that the staff was friendly and helpful. For starters, you have to provide your own TV. If you want reception you have to order your own cable. The building is old and stinks of mildew and mold. Under the bathroom sink the wall was full of black mold. They gave me a room two floors above a next door bar that on weekends had music blaring. For $188 a week it was not worth it.

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank airsam

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

chicago
Reviewed 1 August 2007

If you are on drugs or crazy you will think this place is great but if you are sane you will hate it. I have never been in such a ran down, old, hot, dirty stanky, unsafe place in all of my life. Everything is old, musty and on the brink of falling apart. I was afraid I would catch lice the rooms were so dirty. Here's my warning to you---DO NOT stay at this place!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank lisa_2020x
Mahatma city
Reviewed 1 June 2007

It was a very nice place, I would reccomend it to anybody. Lots of friendly faces . I was visiting Chicago from Pakistan . Only problem I had was men knocking on the door throughout the night.
Lots of fine food places located nearby. I found my cousin Raj working in the subway nearby. Very clean beds and it made my vacation one of the best ever. Lots of fun bars not to far away either, I visited the Manhole club and stopped by the Steamworks,oh boy I will never forget that night.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Neighbors in next room
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank KenPashaSadicki
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 19 March 2007

My three friends and I stayed at the Belair during the weekend of Pridefest (June 2006). We did not book a room before we arrived, but happened to find 2 available rooms here, at a much better price than the Days Inn down the street. The ladies behind the desk chatted with us and were very patient with my worn out credit card. Aside from being required to rent 2 rooms for the 4 of us (we absolutely could not have more than 2 people per room) the location was excellent. The parade went right in front of the building on W. Diversey, and the religious protesters were right across the street, making it more interesting. Close to gay bars on Halsted, Duffy's bar is right next door, Chipmunks restaurant (pizza, gyros), Walgreens, liquor store is very close (cheap beer, expensive cigarrettes), and 5 minute walk from Subway restaurant and transit lines. The rooms were clean and all of the fixtures worked. They were nothing special- just a bed, a chair, dresser, TV, and bathroom with bath/shower. They weren't too small and each has own bathroom. No bugs. Nothing was stolen from the room. All in all a good experience. We are planning to stay the Belair once again when we attend pride fest 2007.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — 2 person per room limit
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank undrgrndcartoon
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 October 2006

Since I chose this hotel partly based on a review I saw here, I feel obligated to add a review of my own.
Needing a place to stay while I waited for a job interview, I had intended to stay here for several weeks. I splurged on the 2-room suite, with refrigerator and microwave, since I could then save some money on food. On the second day of my stay, the refrigerator door came off. Apparently, it was attached only by the top hinge, the bottom one being already off. When I reported this to the desk clerk, I was told it would be repaired. The next day, the manager accused me of vandalism and threatened to make me pay for the repairs. No repairs were made and when I checked out at the end of the week, I was again verbally abused by the manager and officially 'banned' from the premises.
The rest of the staff - desk and housekeeping - are extremely courteous and professional. But the manager seems to have the policy 'you break it, you buy it.' So if you choose to stay here, be really, really careful

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — manager
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business