“You Get What You Pay For”
Review of Belair Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Belair Hotel
Ranked #171 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 16 October 2009

The price of the rooms at the Belair Hotel gives you some idea of what you will get. I was surprised that the rooms were in such good shape. The hotel is inexpensive and in a very active part of the city. The businesses and entertainment in the area are exceptional. There is good transportation all around the city from the hotel. Some of the staff could use lessons on professional courtesy. All in all I had a very good experience at the hotel. My room attendant Anne was exceptional! If I owned this business I would give her a raise. All in all for the money that I paid - I got good service.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Ladybug041
There are newer reviews for Belair Hotel

Reviewed 31 May 2009

I am presently a tenant and am presently witnessing a lack of professionalism from the Manager (Dovie Williams) as well as the Owner ( Mr. Windmiller). I had a drug addicted alcoholic knock on my door in the middle of the night. I tried to communicate my problem to the owner by leaving a letter in his box. He did not respond. When I called him he said that he did want to deal with me and hang the phone in my face.
**This place is a dump. The water for the entire building is turn off at least once a week patch up their archaic plumbing.
**The water isnt good enough to brush your teeth with!
**They charge $87 a night but there is no TV in the rooms.(They will rent you one though.)
**There is no cable.
**Don't use the Hotel room phones because clerks listen to your phone calls.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank themosthated
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I moved to this hotel, after having a bad experience with a local hostel. My husband was a patient at St. Joseph's Hospital, and the Belair is only about 2 blocks away. It's an old hotel, but I found it to be comfortable and clean. I stayed in one of their overnight rooms, which had double bed, air conditioning, TV, and phone. These rent for $75/night. They also have rooms on a weekly or monthly basis, but these rooms lack TV and air conditioning. At $170-213/ week, they are a good deal, if you bring a fan. I think you can also pay a little extra for a fridge and microwave.

The staff at the Belair were really nice, and the location, right next to Lincoln Park, was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank tickbush
Reviewed 30 October 2007

I only stayed there because the other short term choices did not have private baths. The best I can say about the Belair is that the staff was friendly and helpful. For starters, you have to provide your own TV. If you want reception you have to order your own cable. The building is old and stinks of mildew and mold. Under the bathroom sink the wall was full of black mold. They gave me a room two floors above a next door bar that on weekends had music blaring. For $188 a week it was not worth it.

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank airsam
Reviewed 1 August 2007

If you are on drugs or crazy you will think this place is great but if you are sane you will hate it. I have never been in such a ran down, old, hot, dirty stanky, unsafe place in all of my life. Everything is old, musty and on the brink of falling apart. I was afraid I would catch lice the rooms were so dirty. Here's my warning to you---DO NOT stay at this place!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank lisa_2020x
Reviewed 1 June 2007

It was a very nice place, I would reccomend it to anybody. Lots of friendly faces . I was visiting Chicago from Pakistan . Only problem I had was men knocking on the door throughout the night.
Lots of fine food places located nearby. I found my cousin Raj working in the subway nearby. Very clean beds and it made my vacation one of the best ever. Lots of fun bars not to far away either, I visited the Manhole club and stopped by the Steamworks,oh boy I will never forget that night.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank KenPashaSadicki
Reviewed 19 March 2007

My three friends and I stayed at the Belair during the weekend of Pridefest (June 2006). We did not book a room before we arrived, but happened to find 2 available rooms here, at a much better price than the Days Inn down the street. The ladies behind the desk chatted with us and were very patient with my worn out credit card. Aside from being required to rent 2 rooms for the 4 of us (we absolutely could not have more than 2 people per room) the location was excellent. The parade went right in front of the building on W. Diversey, and the religious protesters were right across the street, making it more interesting. Close to gay bars on Halsted, Duffy's bar is right next door, Chipmunks restaurant (pizza, gyros), Walgreens, liquor store is very close (cheap beer, expensive cigarrettes), and 5 minute walk from Subway restaurant and transit lines. The rooms were clean and all of the fixtures worked. They were nothing special- just a bed, a chair, dresser, TV, and bathroom with bath/shower. They weren't too small and each has own bathroom. No bugs. Nothing was stolen from the room. All in all a good experience. We are planning to stay the Belair once again when we attend pride fest 2007.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends